• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

South African Mint - Big 5

On 27/08/2020 at 16:11, 5huggy said:

The coins will be launched biannually with a new animal every six months.  (direct from the SA Mint) -

so, as we have had the Rhino earlier this year -

should be due anytime SOON!😉👍

Let's hope so. Unless Covid has massively messed things up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Tomcbol said:

I have bought mine in the past from emk.com Its a German dealer and have had good service in the past from them.

They currently have the gold and platinum version of the leopard on presale with a release date of 23 November.

No sign of the silver 1oz yet on their website.

1979830412_Screenshot2020-11-04at20_34_05.thumb.png.92b908af34f1b4740197b7fd8b9615b6.png

Thanks for the info.

The leopard is well done. Has an eery atmosphere to it and yet the leopard looks vulnerable, tired almost. A little cute even, though fierce. 
The reverse is quite nice too, though quite similar to the lion (unfortunately).

big_five-leopard.png

big_five-lion.png

21 hours ago, FoolzGold said:

The leopard is a beautiful design but I struggle to convince myself to pay so much for an oz of gold or platinum just because it's really, really shiny. Proofs are just not my thing.

It s a collectors item for sure. If your a bullion guy, it makes no sense. Or even Kooks or Somalia Elephants much cheaper. Though the quality on these Big Five coins is very nice. And they have already appreciated quite a bit.
Comes down to taste and preference I guess ;)

On 07/11/2020 at 10:15, FoolzGold said:

The leopard is a beautiful design but I struggle to convince myself to pay so much for an oz of gold or platinum just because it's really, really shiny. Proofs are just not my thing.

Love proofs personally. For series/collections in the future all I am aiming for is proofs. But that’s just me.

On 04/11/2020 at 17:04, robinvonbrex said:

Where do you (usually) get your Big Five coins? Any recommendations?

Got a guy on Facebook where I’m getting them. He’s done me these and the Giants of the Ice Age coins. Standard BU.

Apparently they have released a bullion version of the platinum elephant at least, although I can't seem to find any concrete reference to any planning on the release of bullion versions of the series, or any details such as mintages. Does anyone have any clear information on their plans for this - e.g. will there be a bullion version of each coin released 6 months after the proof version?

Edited by FoolzGold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Initially bought the lion and elephant (2 each).

When I saw the design of the rhino, I've lost interest and parted ways with 1 pair.

Now, the (beautiful) leopard is out, and prices increased (EM has limited stock for €110).

Ordered one of the few still available rhinos a week or so ago, and the leopard today.

Quite a successfull series.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2020 at 21:58, SSAcademy said:

Got the 4th one not so long ago. 

And it looks fantastic. 

Glad that at the very last minute they changed ears from one way to another. 

IMG_20201228_235809_668.jpg

Image6.jpg

Was the two-ear Leopard the first version? Was wondering about those images...