• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Britannia 2016 Milk spotting?

Allancv

Hi everyone,

I ordered a silver britannia for myself in 2016. Today, after not viewing my silver coin for months ended up having milk spotting. It's a proof coin, so how is it possible to get milk spotting? It looks like it's sealed and has never been open.
Is there anything I could do to limit this, or get rid of milk spotting? I would never sell this coin as it's my first coin I bought with my first job.

Kinda sad times since this is one of five coins I own. But hey ho 🙄

Thanks for anyone messaging with info,

Cheers,

Allan

96593959_237593921007357_7018033551585050624_n.jpg

96381632_665188047658109_8753400793882689536_n.jpg

That looks like a bullion coin, not proof. Not sure how to advise on the tarnish/spotting. Keep it in a dry container away from light with a desiccant bag to try and reduce further degradation. But removing that, I don't see any option other than opening the slab and polishing it (if you're happy to do that).

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” – Mark Twain

Definitely not a proof. Looks like some dodgy coin company took a bullion coin slabbed it and try to pass off as special brexit edition. Its not even graded. This is what the 2016 proof Britannia actually looks like.

2016-silver-proof-1-ounce-britannia-proof-coin-single-united-kingdom-the-royal-mint-1.jpg

Search silver milk spotting on the forum and you’ll see lots of discussion on the subject my friend. Not much you can do unless you’re willing to crack the slab open and clean it. Which may not be a bad idea if the coin is precious to you and you want it just to look nice. You can buy new empty slabs for putting your coins in, maybe you could do that and make your own special label to mark it as being your first coin / first job? Nice keep sake, and an ounce of silver to boot 🙂 

If you do decide to clean it, search the forum first for that too to get the best results 👍 

I've got some spare little plastics stands for your slab, if you want one drop me your address on Private Mail and i’ll send you one. 

I think that's just standard silver tarnish, not milk spotting (I only see it on the first photo). Since it's not graded, I would open it up and clean the tarnish with the ever reliable aluminum foil and baking soda method. I believe you people call it bicarb.

Normal sliver tarnish , rather than milk spotting and it is a normal Bullion Brit not a proof. As Bimetallic says drop it in some Bicarb if your not worried about cleaning it and you want it nice and bright again.

Most folk advise NEVER to clean a coin and I generally agree with that. But It is your coin and if you want it shiny again. No harm in cracking  it out of the slab and  having a go at cleaning it, seeing as it is bog standard bullion.

On a side note I have a lot of 2016 Brits, in capsules from new and few of them have  tarnished in the same way. whilst earlier and later years are still perfect even though all stored in the same way in the same place ?

But I wouldn't stress too much over it. if it was your first coin enjoy it for what it is, a lovely ounce of shiny with some personal history 

Regards 

DB

Archived