• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Joy of eBay Selling

Don't get me wrong, I love eBay and have been buying and selling on there for a decade with very little trouble (feedback > 6,000), but every now and then you just get a c**t.

Had a Kilo Andorra Silver Eagle finishing this evening - shortly before the auction was ending I received the following messages in Spanish (thank you google translate):

'Don't touch my balls after 2 seconds, there is no bidder here, you're your bastard.'

and  'Commit the shameless coin' - I think this one may be lost in translation.

This lovely bidder then won the auction and immediately left me negative feedback saying 'bid 2 and 1 second to finish to increase the sale. fraud to eat so much'.

WTAF - you have to laugh or you would cry.

Buyer reported - not much else to be done.

That's the part of selling I hate.

You spend a half an hour supplying extra photos that is requested proof of purchase sometimes. Then the negotiation start.. 

Then you get to the part what's your absolute lowest.

You give a price and they still offer a lower.

You say no and then they argue with you and tell you about all the other places where they can get it for cheaper.

You then figure out that they clearly had no intention to begin with.

I'm getting better at rooting them out.

it's amazing how many people think you can actually buy silver for the spot price.

7 minutes ago, SilverPirate007 said:

That dude sounds drunk I suspect. How much you selling the kilo for?

Buyer's remorse I think - he appears to have placed his maximum bid 3 days ago and I think is now accusing me of shill bidding, as it obviously went higher than he wanted.

The second highest bid would have netted me around £580 incl postage.

I have had issues over the years on FleaBay, quarter million items + now sold of anything and everything and you just have to accept that some idiots live out there in general public land.

For gold/silver sales, whilst it shrinks potential buyers, just prefer offer items to UK only, only offer to send Special Delivery, cancel off bids from folk you dont like the looks of (new user, negative feedback lets as a postive, low feedback score, lots of very low value items bought to build feedback)

YOU are the one driving the bus on YOUR sale,  YOU call the shots. the "block bids and barring" feature on eBay is useful use it if you have time to do it. Cant be bothered with any sort of hassles. https://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

Language barrier on a big ticket item is hassles you really dont need and can do without

Multiple questions from same buyer is also a red flag, especially if you have answered them and you have done a good ad, good photos etc.

Any dodgy wierd messages you get, just add them to your block list. dont tell em, just block em.  You may waste 10+ days on your auction, then further days without sales, getting refund credits from fleabay and you still have not sold your item

I have found it very userful to use the 80/20 rule, where 80% of your sales will come from 20% of your customers.  Identify and keep and lok after these clients.

Know them, find what they need, ask what they are after. How can you help them?  People buy from people they like/feel secure with. How can you bring a smile to their day/collection ?

eBay sadly removes the personal elements so much.  I faceless virtual checkout where you dont even get to share a message with your buyers.

Sell an item, i go the whole hog, so they know me, know my products, know where i am away from ebay, show them i can help and get them what they need or seek.

The quicker you can hook a customer from eBay to dealing with them on your own terms you are onto a winner !

23 minutes ago, silverdocket said:

That's the part of selling I hate.

You spend a half an hour supplying extra photos that is requested proof of purchase sometimes. Then the negotiation start.. 

Then you get to the part what's your absolute lowest.

You give a price and they still offer a lower.

You say no and then they argue with you and tell you about all the other places where they can get it for cheaper.

You then figure out that they clearly had no intention to begin with.

I'm getting better at rooting them out.

it's amazing how many people think you can actually buy silver for the spot price.

It’s not just eBay buyers I’m afraid. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

11 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

It’s not just eBay buyers I’m afraid

I fully agree. I had one guy the other day telling me how cheap Britannia were from the Royal mint for 3...

Add tax convert to euros ship to Ireland

Not so cheap...

11 minutes ago, Paul said:

I have had issues over the years on FleaBay, quarter million plus sales now of anything and everything and you just have to accept that some idiots live out there in general public land.

For gold/silver sales, whilst it shrinks potential buyers, just prefer offer items to UK only, only offer to send Special Delivery, cancel off bids from folk you dont like the looks of (new user, negative feedback lets as a postive, low feedback score, lots of very low value items bought to build feedback)

YOU are the one driving the bus on YOUR sale,  YOU call the shots. the "block bids and barring" feature on eBay is useful use it if you have time to do it. Cant be bothered with any sort of hassles. https://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

Language barrier on a big ticket item is hassles you really dont need and can do without

Multiple questions from same buyer is also a red flag, especially if you have answered them and you have done a good ad, good photos etc.

Any dodgy wierd messages you get, just add them to your block list. dont tell em, just block em.  You may waste 10+ days on your auction, then further days without sales, getting refund credits from fleabay and you still have not sold your item

I have found it very userful to use the 80/20 rule, where 80% of your sales will come from 20% of your customers.  Identify and keep and lok after these clients.

Know them, find what they need, ask what they are after. How can you help them?  People buy from people they like/feel secure with. How can you bring a smile to their day/collection ?

eBay sadly removes the personal elements so much.  I faceless virtual checkout where you dont even get to share a message with your buyers.

Sell an item, i go the whole hog, so they know me, know my products, know where i am away from ebay, show them i can help and get them what they need or seek.

The quicker you can hook a customer from eBay to dealing with them on your own terms you are onto a winner !

I like your approach and to be honest, I’m a bit lazy when it comes to my eBay selling these days - my real work keeps me more than busy enough.

I like to keep the overseas option available, as I’ve made lots of sales outside of the UK over the years. I insist on the Global Shipping Program now though, as this removes the risk of being liable for a loss on the foreign leg of the journey - much safer for the seller.

There’s something to be said for excluding eBay newbies, this muppet is practically a virgin, with a feedback of 3.

You do get some real winners on ebay. I once had a customer leave me negative feedback for an item being "overpriced". My first thought was...  why did you bother to buy it then? Then I look around for similar items and see the item I sold to this customer was the cheapest priced on ebay. Some people really should have to pass a basic test of both decency and intelligence before they're allowed online.

11 hours ago, Paul said:

I think this is the best advice I've seen for selling on ebay. I realized this after a year or so of selling "professionally" on there. You are definitely right that the moment a potential bidder/buyer starts throwing up red flags to just block em as it really isn't worth the hastle.

If you get c**p feedback that is unwarranted make sure to put your own note on there. If a seller does this and I think it's a reasonable reply it won't turn me off buying from them, especially if the lion's share of their feedback is positive.

I would also recommend not negotiating outside of the auction you've started, it often ends up being a dolt that can potentially cause headaches and waste time. Save the banter and the barter for places more suited to it like the forum is my advice.

I agree the amount of people saying oh yes I can buy for XYZ price I just reply crack on go and do it. Come back when you want to offer a real price.

Had a guy recently offered me a stupidly low price for a tube of Britannia told him politely to jog on!

he came back said fairplay was willing to try my luck ended up spending a couple of grand with me , good bit of banter and and we struck up a good deal with him paying what I asked overall.

I find especially with PMS the moment you put them on all the eBay dealers jump on offering stupid low prices the general public not knowing value would probably jump on them those of us with a bit more savvy play them at their own game makes very very funny reading of the messages going to and fro

Does anyone know if Managed Payments will roll out to the UK as well as the US? It seems that certain items such as Bullion are restricted when selling with it, such as Bullion and Coins.
https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html
https://pages.ebay.com/payment/2.0/index.html
https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/managed-payments-restricted-items-policy?id=5009

13 minutes ago, Ushao said:

Does anyone know if Managed Payments will roll out to the UK as well as the US? It seems that certain items such as Bullion are restricted when selling with it, such as Bullion and Coins.
https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html
https://pages.ebay.com/payment/2.0/index.html
https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/managed-payments-restricted-items-policy?id=5009

This year but only for business sellers initially...

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/business/managed-payments

On 09/05/2020 at 10:32, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

You do get some real winners on ebay. I once had a customer leave me negative feedback for an item being "overpriced"

I had to laugh when I read this.

The best negative I've been left was "the postman woke me up when he delivered" 😃

12 hours ago, Booky586 said:

I had to laugh when I read this.

The best negative I've been left was "the postman woke me up when he delivered" 😃

Oh man that's rediculous!

I actually made the decision some years ago that I wasn't going to sell any items in December. I increase my sales massively in October and November to make up for the shortfall but its the only month where I always have problems as people get so twitchy and touchy waiting on items they've ordered as christmas gifts. I did it for two years where I didn't shut down at all and it was such a miserable experience trying to deal with people when an item was a day late. Its just rediculous how insane and unreasonable people get at that time of the year

I think I commented on another eBay thread here or another forum that I sold a BNIB iPhone on eBay a while back.

Very clearly described as not locked to a network and still in the cellophane  

The purchaser was livid (Got a very shouty ranty message) that I had not provided a sim and contract with the phone.  I was stunned and told him to get down to Carphone Wharehouse.  Luckily he did not leave feedback.

Similarly I sold a Seiko automatic watch that was an unwanted gift and the purchaser contacted me after about three weeks to ask for his money back as it was losing a couple of seconds a day.....

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Archived