• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

eBay half sovereign

Arganto

13 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

It looks like some kind of shonky resin copy, but then I've seen a few presented like this on eBay so assumed something to do with the pictures rather than the coins...

"Rare Type" ?

How do we check this? 

Just had a quick look in my sovereign book and all the Victoria shield versions have the date on the head side of the coin going by the book. I am no expert but would check further.

1 hour ago, Chorlton said:

Just had a quick look in my sovereign book and all the Victoria shield versions have the date on the head side of the coin going by the book. I am no expert but would check further.

Jubilee halves have the date on the reverse.

It's rare according to Iverson but not according to Marsh. 😂

39 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

Jubilee halves have the date on the reverse.

It's rare according to Iverson but not according to Marsh. 😂

Misread it, I was looking at full sovereigns 😀

I have only bought one gold coin from EBay and it was a good but not too low price in luckily excellent condition. I was very wary of doing it and ready to send it back if any problems before it arrived !

Technically the eBay guarantee should cover you if you receive a fake. PayPal buyer protection is there to get your money back as well. Not had to use these myself so don't know how easy the process is but buyers seem to get an easier time of it than sellers on eBay. Just got to be on top of your testing as soon as you receive something and don't buy big bars would be my recommendation.

12 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

Technically the eBay guarantee should cover you if you receive a fake. PayPal buyer protection is there to get your money back as well. Not had to use these myself so don't know how easy the process is but buyers seem to get an easier time of it than sellers on eBay. Just got to be on top of your testing as soon as you receive something and don't buy big bars would be my recommendation.

see 

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/27320-paypal-buyer-non-protection-for-gold

It's too complicated for PayPal to verify either way. If the seller is genuine yet the buyer swaps out what they received with a fake with proof that their fake is assayed negatively then how are paypal to know the truth unless they have escrow assay facilities themselves. I have heard they still honour items not received but it's a case by case basis where it is clear the other processes were not followed satisfactorily (accurate tracking etc.)

If you receive a jewellers reproduction sovereign from someone claiming that it's real then good luck to you. If you receive a lump of coal for one then youll be covered I would assume

1 minute ago, Prophecy said:

It's too complicated for PayPal to verify either way. If the seller is genuine yet the buyer swaps out what they received with a fake with proof that their fake is assayed negatively then how are paypal to know the truth unless they have escrow assay facilities themselves. I have heard they still honour items not received but it's a case by case basis where it is clear the other processes were not followed satisfactorily (accurate tracking etc.)

If you receive a jewellers reproduction sovereign from someone claiming that it's real then good luck to you. If you receive a lump of coal for one then youll be covered I would assume

I appreciate what you're saying but that's a rabbit hole that could apply to any item, not just gold. The buyer could theoretically swap out anything and say they were sold a counterfeit item, keep the authentic thing they were sold and send back whatever they decide to chance it with. Why single out gold? It's not like it's the only small size/high value item traded. You're putting buyers of gold on the back foot and not making it explicit that this is the case. If it was stamped all over each auction of gold that "if this is not a genuine item your buyer protection via eBay/PayPal is suspended" I reckon a lot less people would be buying on there. 

I'll have a dig through eBay's small print for buyer protection later and see what that says. It does say "Get the item you bid for or your money back" or something to that effect. I'll post back here if it's useful.

27 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

I appreciate what you're saying but that's a rabbit hole that could apply to any item, not just gold. The buyer could theoretically swap out anything and say they were sold a counterfeit item, keep the authentic thing they were sold and send back whatever they decide to chance it with. Why single out gold? It's not like it's the only small size/high value item traded. You're putting buyers of gold on the back foot and not making it explicit that this is the case. If it was stamped all over each auction of gold that "if this is not a genuine item your buyer protection via eBay/PayPal is suspended" I reckon a lot less people would be buying on there. 

I'll have a dig through eBay's small print for buyer protection later and see what that says. It does say "Get the item you bid for or your money back" or something to that effect. I'll post back here if it's useful.

True. Maybe there would be more incentive to do that though? I'm sure they have risk statistics on what goods attract the most 'criminals'... but then again they would ban the cover of iPhones because fraud is rife with that. TBH, they don't mention diamonds (i think) which would be just as bad. I'm just rambling though so anything you find would be helpful for all!

It would seem that until it happens you won't know how easy it will be. On the face of it eBay is in your side and you should get your money back. 

If the seller says no to a return/refund eBay step in after the waiting period and resolve it after contacting the seller. They pretty much send return label invoices/issue refunds whether the seller likes it or not. The seller is billed for return costs etc. The only actual wording on counterfeit goods I've come across so far is:

Counterfeit items

If a buyer reports that an item is counterfeit and there are strong indicators that the item is counterfeit, eBay may not require the buyer to return the item to the seller. The buyer agrees to cooperate with us to ensure the proper disposal of the item. In such cases, we refund the buyer for the full cost of the item and original postage, and the seller reimburses us for the refund. The buyer may not sell the item on eBay or elsewhere.

It makes it sound pretty simple, only time will tell if that's the case. I'll use the forum search function and see if any members have experienced counterfeit goods bought on eBay, it may be insightful.

1 hour ago, DaKine said:

Hmmm, could not buy off that photo, and has some appearance consistent with casting, esp on the bust.

A colleague of mine contacted the seller explaining that it has clear signs of being a cast copy and explained the evidence. The seller just told him that he received it from a 'reputable dealer' and that is that.

Archived