• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 8000+ forum members. 

Hi all :) just thought I'd start a thread for
people to show any new hobbies or pastimes they have taken up during lockdown.

Although it's not much and my space is very limited, I've taken to planting some stuff. I guess calling it gardening would be a stretch but everything you see has been planted from seed :) Got a bit of everything and even planted stuff in the communal boxes down the road. The grass looking one is sugar cane- I want to see if I can get it to full size!

Usually I'd be out fishing on the weekend or doing stuff at my parents in the country, but lockdown in london has meant I've had to think outside the box for pastimes- I must say it's quite rewarding to grow things, never really done it before.

IMG_20200505_1251147.jpg

IMG_20200505_1251235.jpg

IMG_20200505_1251368.jpg

IMG_20200505_1251540.jpg

IMG_20200505_1252264.jpg

IMG_20200505_1257444.jpg

IMG_20200505_1257484.jpg

18 minutes ago, GoldElliott said:

Also I've got lots of seeds left over so if anyone wants any just send me your address and I'll post some to you free of charge :)

Seed swap! I've lots.

Also sugar cane is very ambitious, look forward to seeing if you can do it.

3 minutes ago, Notafront4adragon said:

Seed swap! I've lots.

Also sugar cane is very ambitious, look forward to seeing if you can do it.

I have about 4 seedlings outside which are doing surprisingly well and one indoors in the pot which I photographed as a backup incase those outside decide to die on me.

What seeds do you have/ want? I've got:

Melons (different types), cucumber, tomatos, reddish, spinach, lettuce, peppers I think, parsley, mint, coriander, okra, pumpkins

Posted (edited)

I've also being trying mushrooms, shiitake, lions mane and king as well as grey oyster mushrooms. Takes patience but it's a tasty hobby.

Also trying to learn about foraging and figuring out which weeds you can actually eat. Shepherds purse and vetch are about now both very widespread and tasty. Vetch flower is almost exactly like eating a fresh pea.

Edited by Notafront4adragon

1 minute ago, GoldElliott said:

I have about 4 seedlings outside which are doing surprisingly well and one indoors in the pot which I photographed as a backup incase those outside decide to die on me.

What seeds do you have/ want? I've got:

Melons (different types), cucumber, tomatos, reddish, spinach, lettuce, peppers I think, parsley, mint, coriander, okra, pumpkins

I'll have a look, don't wanna hijack the thread too much but a general see swap amongst members may be good now more and more are gardening. 

These are what I have available folks as a few have asked. Unfortunately no sugar cane left :( but can post seedlings if anyone wants!

I did actually grow a very successful tobacco plant before just to see if I could. Quite an underwhelming plant but grew well and was healthy.

IMG_20200505_1345250.jpg

IMG_20200505_1344189.jpg

6 minutes ago, Notafront4adragon said:

I've also being trying mushrooms, shiitake, lions mane and king as well as grey oyster mushrooms. Takes patience but it's a tasty hobby.

Also trying to learn about foraging and figuring out which weeds you can actually eat. Shepherds purse and vetch are about now both very widespread and tasty. Vetch flower is almost exactly like eating a fresh pea.

My parents arew mushrooms one year but they attracted small black flies so they ditched that, but I've watched videos on YouTube and it looks very interesting!

Foraging would be lovely, however I expect the only thing I'd find in london is needles and baggies 😂

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, GoldElliott said:

My parents arew mushrooms one year but they attracted small black flies so they ditched that, but I've watched videos on YouTube and it looks very interesting!

Foraging would be lovely, however I expect the only thing I'd find in london is needles and baggies 😂

A benefit of London is definitely warmer and longer season, there's some good microclimates, I had some lovely crops of things like watermelons that need long hot periods when I lived there. Anything in the street, ewww, but there's still some green spaces worth exploring. 

Those flies are very hard to exclude, the growing room is more like a clean room than a greenhouse. I'm gonna try growing some outdoors though,  definitely shiitake on logs in the traditional method, and apparently morels are possible! But inside without any counters flies like thrips will get out of hand. So you have to be very careful if you're growing indoors. 

Edited by Notafront4adragon

2 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

A benefit of London is definitely warmer and longer season, there's some good microclimates, I had some lovely crops of things like watermelons that need long hot periods when I lived there. Anything in the street, ewww, but there's still some green spaces worth exploring. 

Those flies are very hard to exclude, the growing room is more like a clean room than a greenhouse. I'm gonna try growing some outdoors though,  definitely shiitake on logs in the traditional method, and apparently morels are possible! But inside without any counters flies like thrips will get out of hand. So you have to be very careful if you're growing indoors. 

Haven't had a huge amount of luck with my melons- they hatched beautifully indoors but when moved outside died unfortunately!

I will youtube later how to grow shiitakes for sure- Id be keen to try growing any that can grow outside, but in my small house wouldnt fancy flies everywhere!

Haven't had a huge amount of luck with my melons- they hatched beautifully indoors but when moved outside died unfortunately!

I will youtube later how to grow shiitakes for sure- Id be keen to try growing any that can grow outside, but in my small house wouldnt fancy flies everywhere!

Melons need warm soil too, I grew mine outdoors but with an active compost under the bed. It was a lot of work and really only works if you're building a new bed or are prepared to do lots of digging and have a lot of compostable material.

I now grow mini watermelons inside a poly tunnel lots of manure in the bed before the season starts, and plenty of daily watering and feeding throughout season, blood and bone as well as chicken manure. At the moment they are under a cloche inside the polytunnel as they also need a long season so you have to extend it, once they are bigger and it's warmer the cloche will come off. 

For shiitake outside you need to have the right conditions, shady but not dark, quite damp but not to hot or cold at the wrong time, and learn how to cold shock the logs mimicking the natural lifecycle, plus 8 months. 

I have rekindled an old hobby during lockdown.

Stacking silver!!!

I was away from the game for about 4 years, but sat in the lounge on my PC working I started looking at coins on eBay.

So it has started again. Loving it.

Stacker since 2013

2 hours ago, Danny-boy said:

I have rekindled an old hobby during lockdown.

Stacking silver!!!

I was away from the game for about 4 years, but sat in the lounge on my PC working I started looking at coins on eBay.

So it has started again. Loving it.

Where have you been buying silver during lockdown? I gave up stacking silver a while ago and started collecting world silver coins (circulated) instead! Either way pm is good!

3 minutes ago, GoldElliott said:

Where have you been buying silver during lockdown? I gave up stacking silver a while ago and started collecting world silver coins (circulated) instead! Either way pm is good!

eBay, Bairds, this forum etc. 

Stacker since 2013

1 minute ago, Danny-boy said:

eBay, Bairds, this forum etc. 

There's some pretty serious stackers on YouTube- I try and avoid as its very addictive 😂

Posted (edited)

I posted a similar thread but didn’t get much interest 😄

I’ve been taking an amateur radio course and have the exam booked for early June.  If I pass that I will get my foundation licence and then can legally transmit on this this...

FDC5B7A7-FA66-4682-93BE-D535F7BC6F53.jpeg.87318c265d6a56d9f9bfaf32254a453d.jpeg

All part of the prepper coming out in me 😄

Edited by Goldhooked

5 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

Melons need warm soil too, I grew mine outdoors but with an active compost under the bed. It was a lot of work and really only works if you're building a new bed or are prepared to do lots of digging and have a lot of compostable material.

I now grow mini watermelons inside a poly tunnel lots of manure in the bed before the season starts, and plenty of daily watering and feeding throughout season, blood and bone as well as chicken manure. At the moment they are under a cloche inside the polytunnel as they also need a long season so you have to extend it, once they are bigger and it's warmer the cloche will come off. 

For shiitake outside you need to have the right conditions, shady but not dark, quite damp but not to hot or cold at the wrong time, and learn how to cold shock the logs mimicking the natural lifecycle, plus 8 months. 

I think in a couple years when I hope to buy a house with a garden I will really get into growing things. I can see how rewarding it is when you get to eat what you've grown and its definitely relaxing looking after them. Growing those mushrooms seems like a real skill but Id imagine you can really notice the difference in flavour between home grown and shop bought.

Added 0 minutes later...
Just now, Goldhooked said:

I posted a similar thread but didn’t get much interest 😄

I’ve been taking an amateur radio course and have the exam booked for early June.  If I pass that I will get my foundation licence and then can legally transmit on this this...

FDC5B7A7-FA66-4682-93BE-D535F7BC6F53.jpeg.87318c265d6a56d9f9bfaf32254a453d.jpeg

Sorry to sound dumb, but what do you need a license for to speak in a radio? what does the exam consist of? and who do you talk to on the other end of that thing?

Added 0 minutes later...

Sorry to sound dumb, but what do you need a license for to speak in a radio? what does the exam consist of? and who do you talk to on the other end of that thing?

It’s amateur/ham radio - the transmitting power of the radios and the frequencies they use are regulated by Ofcom.  You need a licence to use them legally.  Get a powerful enough rig and you can talk to people on the other side of the world.

It really came about when things started to happen with COVID-19.  I started to think about being a little more prepared for worst case scenarios and a friend and I bought a couple of these.  If the mobile phone network goes down, these will still work.  Once things settled down and we realised the end of the world was not in fact nigh, we thought we may as well get the licences.

so who do you speak to? is it military or police hence the need for a license- just struggling to see why you need a license to speak into a powerful radio!

Arguably i can post something on here or youtube and reach a far wider audience globally than a radio transmission. It certainly is an interesting hobby though and thanks for sharing!

4 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

It’s amateur/ham radio - the transmitting power of the radios and the frequencies they use are regulated by Ofcom.  You need a licence to use them legally.  Get a powerful enough rig and you can talk to people on the other side of the world.

It really came about when things started to happen with COVID-19.  I started to think about being a little more prepared for worst case scenarios and a friend and I bought a couple of these.  If the mobile phone network goes down, these will still work.  Once things settled down and we realised the end of the world was not in fact nigh, we thought we may as well get the licences.

If the SHTF that badly, I think you wouldnt need to worry about getting a licence to use them.

2 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

If the SHTF that badly, I think you wouldnt need to worry about getting a licence to use them.

Radio etiquette would go out the window 😂 ofcom would be the least of my worries