• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Morgan Dollar VAMS

Peacemaker

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

I have looked at then with a view to collecting as this sort of thing appeals to my collector self, but decided there were too many and most are difficult to see any way.

I agree Steve, not something I would try to collect, I simply stumbled upon it after someone pointing out a vam on another coin I had, I noticed the die crack on this one around the edge of the reverse but had no idea of the others, strong doubling, missing nostril and seperated leaf, seperate eagles right wing. I have added some pics 

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

3 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

It all adds to the interest though. If I were in the US with associated greater access to Morgans in general, I may well have succumbed😉

This is a top 100 so hopefully sell it and replace with a few nice dates

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

Hi @Peacemaker

As you know I am partial to the odd Morgan, it is a very long term project of mine to collect nice examples.

I looked at collecting VAM’s but it was too hard when living in the U.K. and it is not easy to buy locally, coupled with the deviations being really really minor a lot of the time.

Naturally it is easier if you live in the US and have a relationship with a local trusted dealer.

Great that you have one - so think I do too, but along with all my other stuff it is in a SD box in a bank, and I don’t currently have time to do the research. I will get it out and share a pic after lockdown!  I think the B and the R are particularly nice pictures that highlight the VAM  

All the best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

• 2 weeks later...

I don't collect them specifically but if I run across one, I prefer a Top 100 lest I get caught in minutia like the Rolex fans and their MK1 2 3 dials ad infinitum. I just ordered a 1900 O/CC VAM 8b which IS in the Top 100.

Only 3 more Morgans needed to complete my CC set of 14. Of course these are the 1879, 1889, and 1893, the 3 scarcest ones. Two of the 3 I can afford but the 1889 will be tougher. I have none graded less than MS-63 as of now.

Archived