• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

75th VE Day Anniversary SotD Sovereign

westminstrel

2 hours ago, sovtsf said:

That's happening already, I clicked on one yesterday that was £750 and now getting an offer for a touch over £700 by email simply for viewing the item. 

Good news for me, I'm going to try to get one for not more than £700 if possible within the next few weeks. Wouldn't want to pay more than that just for missing the launch day.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, westminstrel said:

It does have a mintmark as mentioned above, but nonetheless, I think you shouldn’t be sorry at all for missing out. Why pay a premium for a scrawl of alphabets and numbers?

Remember never to easily fall for good marketing. ;)

It depends on what you like to purchase but unless something was very old or scarce this is not something that would draw me to a coin. If that interests then it would be worth looking at.

13 minutes ago, Chorlton said:

It depends on what you like to purchase but unless something was very old or scarce this is not something that would draw me to a coin. If that interests then it would be worth looking at.

Indeed. All I meant is that I hardly consider “VE75” worthy of even being called a “Mint Mark”, and certainly there is nothing special about it, except maybe for people to whom the original VE day meant something personally.

Otherwise, looking at it very objectively, it is just a bit of text about a one-time event, and the RM can commemorate any such events in the future with some suitable acronym, as there is no shortage of events to celebrate.

But of course, one man’s food is another man’s poison, so good for those who like this sort of stuff. 🙂

On 04/05/2020 at 15:48, Numistacker said:

I gather that there was a very strong interest in this coin from the USA and from Europe. I stand by my previous comments but wonder how many of us missed out on this one. I think that the number of followers of SOTD sovereigns is considerable. It seems when i get PM's asking to buy my own coins most PM's are asking if i have spare graded SOTD sovereigns and usually I dont as they are often very limited at sale.

Numi. Push them my way I have 6 Alberts to move on!!!

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

On 04/05/2020 at 21:35, xthomasx said:

Somehow RM didn't notify me via the email list, so I missed it. Thank God it does not have a mintmark... I am not too sorry... 😁

No email for me either, must have been taken off the distribution list as I have returned every coin i've bought!

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

But of course, one man’s food is another man’s poison, so good for those who like this sort of stuff. 🙂

Definitely this - I’m constantly perplexed by Sovereign collectors wetting themselves about a wonky V or an extra dot!

11 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Indeed. All I meant is that I hardly consider “VE75” worthy of even being called a “Mint Mark”, and certainly there is nothing special about it, except maybe for people to whom the original VE day meant something personally.

Otherwise, looking at it very objectively, it is just a bit of text about a one-time event, and the RM can commemorate any such events in the future with some suitable acronym, as there is no shortage of events to celebrate.

I think the design process went as follows:

Email of working from home RM manager to millennial minion design graduate (also working from home):

“Please design a mint mark for the SOTD sovereign commemorating VE75”.

Millennial minion’s response: “VE75 ??”

RM manager: “That’s brilliant – thank you!”

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/05/2020 at 21:14, Zhorro said:

I wonder if there will be a second SOTD sovereign in recognition of VJ75 on 15th August?

I have been wondering this too. Just like the Victoria and Albert SoTDs, they may find it hard to resist doing a “doublet” this year too.

Either way I’m glad I didn’t fall for the VE75. 

12 minutes ago, sovtsf said:

What do they do with the ones that get sent back do they strike a new one from them? 

I did have this issue with the Albert SOTD but I purchased through the coinconnection and upon querying it was told that they do indeed strike replacements. Whether that’s true or not I don’t know.

The cynic in me says the mint slap a new address on returned ones and send them out to another unsuspecting customer.

3 hours ago, Shep said:

I did have this issue with the Albert SOTD but I purchased through the coinconnection and upon querying it was told that they do indeed strike replacements. Whether that’s true or not I don’t know.

The cynic in me says the mint slap a new address on returned ones and send them out to another unsuspecting customer.

That's exactly what they do... They can't be a SOTD if they strike them again on another day!

20 minutes ago, 1817Karl said:

That's exactly what they do... They can't be a SOTD if they strike them again on another day!

They were adamant they do a 1 for 1 fresh strike of defective ones, but yes for the reason you’ve mentioned i also thought it was a load of bull

I've been told direct from my account manager that they don't restrike them. I had an issue with a gold newton 50p and they refused to do this. So when you send them back you simply get one that someone else has sent back. Sometimes you will get lucky and it will be an unwanted one that's fine, most of the time it will be someone less reject they keep passing around till someone accepts it.

Archived