• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Peli Case to hold a Full Royal Mint Monster 500 oz box of Silver

db570uk

A moment of dread came over me today and I am looking to store away my monster boxes of silver and was wondering if anyone has been able to store a full Royal Mint monster box worth of coins in a Peli Case or similar. I was looking at Peli Cases  but have no idea what (model / case number) would be suitable.

I have been thinking for some time about purchasing 2 Peli Cases or similar , one for each monster box. I have been thinking the peli cases are good solution for portability/waterproof etc

Also is it a must to have silica gel in each coin tube.  NB I am not looking to bury them, well not yet anyway :)

Grateful for any advice

I’ve also been looking at the Peli cases, so many to choose from. I think it’s just a case of what ever you can afford. The micro cases look like they would fill up very quickly, so something like the Peli 1200 from the protect range looks good. I worry all your coins and bars would just rattle around all over the place in there, even the foam inside the cases - not sure they would support the weight of the bars ect 🤔

Hi brya0123 

Many thanks, I came across a dimensions calculator on the peli website (spain website) and it recommended the 1450 pelicase case based on 10.5 x 8.5 x 4 inches for a single royal mint monster box. I had seen reviews on youtube and the handle and case is highly durable

I telephoned the Uk sales team and they quoted £120 + vat for the 1450 + 6 pounds postage and had a whole range of colours. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay and am holding off until next pay day and may go for one next week when I get paid. I have two monster boxes so looking to store the other one aswell

I feel I do need a carryable proper case like one of these as want to store away and protect from the elements all year round ( moisture / heat etc) i.e not to

see my silver again for a while. Looking to hold onto the coins for a long time. The 1450 has holes on either end to take padlocks.  Peli sells their own padlock but is is a cable padlock so not ideal for secure storage of silver as it still allows the case to slightly open and was recommended for anything valuable to get my own padlocks

I might get one of the micro peli cases to hold the sovereign tubes I have. I saw that some of those microscases can also hold 3-5 tubes of Silver coins

The sales lady told me the foam would be sufficient to hold the container size I quoted. Amazon are selling the Peli 1450 for £145 each. .

Its a pick and pluck fom so can be shaped to hold the monster box by picking out foam squares/cubes by hand until desired mould is achieved

I think you would be correct about the movement of the monster box in there even with the foam as I never thought about that. The foam didnt look at all study. I'll defintely have a rethink and may ask Peli if they have sturdier fills

I like the look of the monster boxes but can you store coins in capsules in them? I don’t like the idea of the coins stacked on top of each other naked without the protection from scratches ect.

I assume the monster boxes aren’t air tight?

those Peli cases are fantastic - I use a micro at work so appreciate the quality and  durability. I just wish they had one with compartments- I know you can buy the dividers for the cases- I just question if those foam or plastic dividers would hold up against several kg of weight in each compartment.

I tend to store the coins in the mint tubes and then in the monster box.  They seem a snug fit in the monster box. But agree coins could scratch

when case is moved about unless I compact the coins in the tubes with a piece of foam

The monster box Not the easiest thing to lift and move about. The monster box isnt that great The lid is easy to come off when carrying (not airtight). 

I decided to look at foam options this evening and was thinking around rubberized foam material would probably do the job but doesnt look like a standard thing for peli cases and probably would need source some and come up with a customization of some sorts. I did come across the plastic dividers but agree would not be suitable for kg's of weight

Will definitely look at the micro peli case for the sovereign tubes

Archived