• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Platinum or Gold?

Serendipity

Should buy I buy a platinum or gold coin?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should I buy a platinum or gold coin?

• Platinum
    • Gold

I am very keen on platinum, but I voted buy a gold coin.  Easier to by at a lower premium, easier to sell.

Edit: if you are buying purely to collect, then buy a platinum coin.  Cheaper than gold, and differently lovely.

1 hour ago, Melon said:

I'd love to pick up some platinum but the 25-30% premiums have put me off. 

Just kid yourself that the spot price is 30% more than it actually is, it has been multiple times more in the past 😀, just look at the charts. I think any serious stacker should have at least a bit of pt and anything up to 10% I am comfortable with 10% platinum to gold ratio(physical ) I have been known to just make it up as I go along though. I also had a target of 50:1, silver to gold, but that has gone a bit west. Lighter on the silver front ATM. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Gold is money and the ultimate store of value. Platinum is a speculative play on an industrial commodity.

They are different. The question is not one or the other, it is should I buy some Pt as well as gold?

I would say do not buy Pt unless you are happy that you have enough Au to cover yourself for reasons you want Au in the first place.

There are many speculative "investments" you can put "spare" money in to, Pt is just one of them.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Good advice in the previous two posts, IMO.  my physical Pt is about 15% of my physical Au.  I've bought it to hold and am not looking to sell, but I do expect it to be worth a lot more in 5 years' time than I paid for it.

On 27/04/2020 at 19:56, KDave said:

For coins buy gold, platinum buy ETF imo.

It is harder to buy ETF than a coin for me though . Spent too long on here being brainwashed by the don't hold you don't own crowd ;)

What's your opinion on ETF's, are they safe?

18 minutes ago, HerculeHolmes said:

What's your opinion on ETF's, are they safe?

Imo the risk is in trusting your fellow man. The ETF's I have invested in by ishares (which is BlackRock) claim to hold the metal, I think as long as that is the case, ETF's are as safe as any other institution dealing in holding/vaulting the precious metals. Have a look into the difference between ETF's and bullion vaulting it reveals a lot about them both. 

On 27/04/2020 at 18:10, Serendipity said:

@ChrisSilver has made a very persuasive case why we should add platinum to our stack/collection. Should I add diversity to my stack/collection by making my next purchase a platinum coin or continue with gold? Please feel free to cast your votes.

Platinum, although there is a smaller quantity globally compared to gold, is viewed very much as an industrial metal, used for catalytic converters, fuel cells, batteries etc. and is viewed as a common commodity as such (which is counter intuitive). The premium added to minting Pt coins is massive compared to gold coins and generally there doesn’t appear to be much of an uptake selling back to dealers.

Gold is seen as a safer choice only because of reputation - it’s been used as a currency for thousands of years, because it could be easily mined over Pt. Just think about if it was the opposite - and Pt had been used as a currency instead of gold 🤔

But that doesn’t mean diversifying out into other PMs is bad - even a small percentage of Pt in the portfolio is better than nothing 👍

• 1 month later...
On 27/04/2020 at 11:49, Stuntman said:

I am very keen on platinum, but I voted buy a gold coin.  Easier to by at a lower premium, easier to sell.

Edit: if you are buying purely to collect, then buy a platinum coin.  Cheaper than gold, and differently lovely.

That's kind of an argument in favor of adding gold to a silver stack: it's differently lovely. 

Platinum looks like silver. 😁

On 27/04/2020 at 14:24, sovereignsteve said:

Gold is money and the ultimate store of value. Platinum is a speculative play on an industrial commodity.

They are different. The question is not one or the other, it is should I buy some Pt as well as gold?

I would say do not buy Pt unless you are happy that you have enough Au to cover yourself for reasons you want Au in the first place.

There are many speculative "investments" you can put "spare" money in to, Pt is just one of them.

Exactly my thinking. For me I'm not at that point yet, though I would like to diversify the stack with platinum at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on why you are stacking.
Gold trades quickly and very close to spot so can rise and just as quickly fall.

Platinum historically used to be more expensive ( some would argue more valuable ) than gold.
Why was that ?
What has really changed ?

Metals are most likely manipulated in price especially silver and platinum which look cheap compared to gold.
You need to buy platinum from EU countries ( whilst we can ! ) that don't apply the full VAT.

There was a sizeable dip in Platinum not so long ago and that would have been an ideal opportunity to buy.
How wonderful is hindsight as I should have bought more than I did.
In the same sentence I should not have disposed of a large chunk of my gold a year ago.
When the demand is high regretfully for latecomers the dealers increase their premiums - because they can.

Personally I see no point in looking at charts and extrapolating either.
No-one knows where PMs will be in a matter of days never mind years.

If you can buy Platinum at a good price that's what I would buy at present.

I put some more money into my Platinum ETF holding at the weekend.  I still think it's cheap and will continue to buy at or near these current prices, certainly below £700 per ounce.

(This is clearly just my opinion and I'm not putting all my eggs in the same basket...)

• 5 months later...
On 04/12/2020 at 21:31, Cooldaddyfunk286 said:

How about palladium? How come no section for palladium in the forums?! I'm strongly considering an oz of Palladium. I hear 4 oz can power a 750 k city for 15 years with cold fusion. Maybe THATS why no one wants to pay attention to it?! 🧐🤷🏻‍♂️

The Palladium bullion market is even smaller than that of platinum and this subforum is already quiet enough, so I just look at this as this subforum as the place for all Platinum Group Metals (PGMs).

Personally unless something very convincing about imminent applications came along I have no interest in buying palladium unless it is cheaper than either gold or platinum again.

• 1 month later...
On 05/12/2020 at 05:31, Cooldaddyfunk286 said:

How about palladium? How come no section for palladium in the forums?! I'm strongly considering an oz of Palladium. I hear 4 oz can power a 750 k city for 15 years with cold fusion. Maybe THATS why no one wants to pay attention to it?! 🧐🤷🏻‍♂️

@ChrisSilver Is it time for a Palladium section on the forum?

• Founder & Administrator
9 hours ago, Foster88 said:

@ChrisSilver Is it time for a Palladium section on the forum?

For the moment please continue to post Palladium in the Platinum section, as it is a Platinum group metal, or General Precious metals if about multiple precious metals. 

The posts in the Platinum section are still quite low in comparison to the other sections. But as the forum grows, in the future if there is sufficient demand as well as sufficient topics and posts being posted on a regular basis about Palladium we can sure look at adding an extra section for it :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived