• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

500g vs 1Kg bars

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator
16 minutes ago, Troy77 said:

I have a couple on order but could be a couple more werks

Slightly off topic (so I Will move this to a new topic) but (Personal preference / opinion only and there will be those that disagree with me :) ) I think 500g is a better buy than 1Kg, as the 500g should be easier to sell in the future.

From past selling experience, trying to sell 1Kg coins was not as easy as I anticipated, spot price around same sort of levels to what it is now. 

If silver were to double or triple in price, 1Kg could be even more pricey for some. 500g allows some extra room, 4x price  increment would still only put it over £1k per bar opposed to over £2k per bar with 1Kg. Even if the intention was to sell back to a dealer vs on the forum, being able to sell 500g at a time opposed to a whole 1KG may be more beneficial. 

There are other advantages/disadvantages of investing/collecting difference items, such as coins. And also advantages of investing/collecting different things based on the buyers location, e.g. some items are more popular and easier to sell in some regions and some have VAT/sales tax or CGT advantages. But this topic is just to discuss the differences and opinions of 1KG vs 500g (or other sizes) of bars.

Which size do you prefer?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

On a buying to flip only strategy, providing easy sale was readily available best investment would be 5kg bars but as you say not many can afford.

500g allows for bulk buying and cheaper price per unit hence a potentially bigger return in future

Personally i go for the 1 kg bars - they are cheaper per ounce. i have been looking at the way bars have sold on the forum over the recent past. i got the impression the 500g bars were not selling as easily. Members are keen to get the lower price per ounce. Now if silver were to go to £50 an ounce and a 1kg bar were £2000, things might be different - hence the reason i have different sizes of bars and coins.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

1 minute ago, Tattoedamat said:

On a buying to flip only strategy, providing easy sale was readily available best investment would be 5kg bars but as you say not many can afford.

500g allows for bulk buying and cheaper price per unit hence a potentially bigger return in future

i don't like these big bars - they worry me. It was the big bars that were drilled and filled in the past. i notice big bars hang on the selling section. i have a couple of 100 oz bars - they were an indulgence.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I see the logic.

I have bulk ordered a few 500g bars from Baird for this exact reason. For me it will be a long term investment, but if I a time comes when I need to sell then i would prefer the option to sell small chunks at a time. I agree that 500g is easier to sell as it is more affordable to the majority.

Personal preference I suppose.

I am in the process of selling all my coins in favour of stacking bars. A few reasons for this are.

After buying so many coins from old English to 999 fine I have realised that collecting is not for me. Maybe it's the OCD that is holding me back.

I also worry about premium coins being devalued from milk spots and tarnishing.

I have found that some premium coins are harder to sell even at break even prices.

Bars are easier to store and can fit more in a given space

You don't need to worry too much about their condition and are easy to sell.

I am starting with 1kilo worth of all sizes so if / when it is time to sell I have a variety of sizes so something for every price range.

I will be getting a few 1 kilo bars but I think I will have more Kilos worth of 500 than anything else. At the moment it's only a £20ish premium to buy this way and this is easy to get back when selling.

I will also get minted bars as well as cast.

I do want a 100 Oz bar but I doubt that will ever get sold.

It's a good point about if the price doubles that kilos may be harder to sell at over £1k and you are probably right although I just see a 100oz Baird's bar go for £2k on eBay and 1kilo went for £600 both on auction.

Please Find me on Instagram  HERE            

I have lots of different sizes - my fav are 10oz as they look good in my collection and they are easy to sell.

I like to play with them and I enjoy the variations more than the bulk standard umicore 1kgs I've accumulated. I felt those offered the best value for sheer weight stacking.

30 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i don't like these big bars - they worry me. It was the big bars that were drilled and filled in the past. i notice big bars hang on the selling section. i have a couple of 100 oz bars - they were an indulgence.

Agreed on that and this is the biggest reason everyone is cautious of big bars.

6 minutes ago, Troy77 said:

Just had another look at the bars from Baird's and there is actually only £6 in it between the 1k and 2 X 500g

Yes I bought kilo bars from bairds at the start of the month and afterwards noticed the difference in 1 kilo and 500g is minimal. The next order from themwill be for 500 gram bars, as chris says they should be more liquid/easier to sell, though I have not had problems selling kilo bars in the past it just takes longer to sell silver compared to gold, because you have to sell privately to get a fair price.

49 minutes ago, KDave said:

Yes I bought kilo bars from bairds at the start of the month and afterwards noticed the difference in 1 kilo and 500g is minimal. The next order from themwill be for 500 gram bars, as chris says they should be more liquid/easier to sell, though I have not had problems selling kilo bars in the past it just takes longer to sell silver compared to gold, because you have to sell privately to get a fair price.

I got kg bars from Bairfds within days despite website saying 3 weeks approximately, I have also heard folks saying they gphave been waiting weeks for the 500g. All being almost equal , I would go for the 500g, however I would rather have a kilo within days if possible. Bird in the hand and all that. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I got kg bars from Bairfds within days despite website saying 3 weeks approximately, I have also heard folks saying they gphave been waiting weeks for the 500g. All being almost equal , I would go for the 500g, however I would rather have a kilo within days if possible. Bird in the hand and all that. 

Thanks a good point but I ordered my kilo's on 1st April (fools day) and received them after 2 weeks! Having had to wait that long for kilo's I am content to do it with 500 grams, there isn't really a shortage in silver its a supply chain issue and bairds are good for it. 

If you can get fractional (coins or bars) for the same spot price as larger bars/coins I would recommend. Its so much easier to liquidate and doesnt require you to liquidate a huge amount if you just need a litle. 

4 hours ago, cinereus said:

I think 4x price is dreamland so happy with kilos.

I was looking at some numbers and prices in dollars...

If the ratio should change back close to it's real production levels you could see $3400 per kilo.  Depends on which mine but the average is around 10/1....

I know I need to factor in a lot of things for that to happen.

March 1980 ratio 16.23/1

Divide 16.23/1729 gold spot today

= 106.53 per oz silver multiple by 32

= 3408.99 a kilo 

April 2011 48.70 per oz silver 

Ratio 31.41

$1558.40 per kilo silver

Lol 😂 I hope my maths are okay.

18 hours ago, JakeBB said:

So heavy though.. We process 1-4 a week :)
edit** these are usually 998-1045 ozt

image.thumb.png.1bc7847530a02d16450b7f9732d42477.png

How do I get one? 😍

That's a two part question by the way, as I don't know where to buy it or how to afford it 😂

Bought my first half kilo the other day and cant wait to have it through the door. Once my lib set is completed I will be looking at mainly 10oz and over for my silver. Obviously there are always a few nice 1oz coins i will pick up here and there but will be focusing mainly on larger silver and gold purchases going forward 

Archived