• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 10,000+ forum members. 

Blehhhh

New bar marked

Hi, 

I noticed a new bar has some marks on the left side. More visible depending on the light. I may be being pedantic, I dont know.

Will this be an issue. Bar was bought with low premium but is suppose to be bran new. Id prefer not to have to go to hassle of returning with the way things are right now.

Capture.PNG.740636efd071b0951a592721a9e91246.PNG

7 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

Bars like that are generally treated just as bullion weight  👍 

so personally

1/ I'd love to have a few more like that myself  😍

2/ I wouldn't worry about the slight marks 🙄

Thanks, I just thought it would arrive perfect. Im too fussy.

2 minutes ago, Blehhhh said:

Thanks, I just thought it would arrive perfect. Im too fussy.

Quite understandable 😉 - as None of us would want a nice ,new, SHINEY car delivered with scratches down the side - 🥴

the difference is the value alteration for your bar is nothing👍 - -  for a car it may be a couple of £K! 😖

11 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

Quite understandable 😉 - as None of us would want a nice ,new, SHINEY car delivered with scratches down the side - 🥴

the difference is the value alteration for your bar is nothing👍 - -  for a car it may be a couple of £K! 😖

Would you return it?

1 minute ago, Blehhhh said:

Would you return it?

No - I would happily hold on to it -

Its not a proof or collectible that would have its value detracted from by the marks!

Bullion cast bars come with marks dings and scratches. You are buying bullion, which mean you are buying the weight. 

Having bought bars from mints and dealers and presented with a few that I could choose, I pick the nearest one, the condition is irrelevant. 

If I am buying a high grade rare Sov or similar, I take a great deal of care inspecting the condition.

The difference is that with a numismatic coin you are paying for the gold, rarity and condition.  With a cast bar you are simply buying the gold.

When you sell, the bar will be weight and you will receive cash regardless of whether it has scratches and dings.   There are exceptions to this, but not with the sort of bars you are likely to buy as a stacker.  

Best

Dicker

32 minutes ago, dicker said:

Bullion cast bars come with marks dings and scratches. You are buying bullion, which mean you are buying the weight. 

Having bought bars from mints and dealers and presented with a few that I could choose, I pick the nearest one, the condition is irrelevant. 

If I am buying a high grade rare Sov or similar, I take a great deal of care inspecting the condition.

The difference is that with a numismatic coin you are paying for the gold, rarity and condition.  With a cast bar you are simply buying the gold.

When you sell, the bar will be weight and you will receive cash regardless of whether it has scratches and dings.   There are exceptions to this, but not with the sort of bars you are likely to buy as a stacker.  

Best

Dicker

Thanks, yep I get the point with Bullion.

But since I bought new I did expect it to be in perfect condition.

34 minutes ago, dicker said:

Best

Dicker

As a new stacker, this post is most helpful to my understanding of the differences in purchasing/trading bullion compared to proofs etc

If you hit it with a hammer it will still be worth the same...... Gold is gold.

your buying one of most cheapest ways that's what you get...

Looks cool to me. 

They'll buff out. 

I'm jealous 😭

I think I will buy some of those bars later. Just to be able to handles and mishandled my gold for once. 

You can take in in your hands and play with it. Enjoy! 

4 hours ago, Troy77 said:

If it was me I would drop it on a tiled floor like I did with my Queens beast for added uniqueness

Picture?

20 minutes ago, Blehhhh said:

Thanks, yep I get the point with Bullion.

But since I bought new I did expect it to be in perfect condition.

If you want “perfect” in a bar then perhaps look at a Pamp / Metalor / Baird *Minted* bar. 

These may be what you are looking for but you will of course pay more for them.

Best

Dicker

1 minute ago, dicker said:

If you want “perfect” in a bar then perhaps look at a Pamp / Metalor / Baird *Minted* bar. 

These may be what you are looking for but you will of course pay more for them.

Best

Dicker

Ah no, I prefer the cast bars, but a perfect cast bar 😂......, at least until I mark it.

My favourite place for buying in person is the Perth Mint. 

Should you get the chance, go and buy there.  Ultra ultra helpful if you are serious about buying, you get the choice of a LOT of cast bars or if you are buying nuggets (as in out of the ground) they have a serious amount to choose from.

Whatever your like enjoy and take care

Dicker

8 minutes ago, Roy said:

I wouldn't be worried about a scuffed bar as much as I'd be worried about buying at an all time high.

One is irrelevant, the other potentially serious.

Its good I didnt buy at the all time high then🤣