• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying gold vs selling- coins or slabs

pablitto83

Hi,

I am completely newbie in PM. 

I would like to allocate some of free cash (a budget amounts) in metal. 

Start reading this forum, and when I thought silver would be bettter ( cost much less to buy some, and accumulate some), I got.a lot,of doubts. Easy to buy, but hard to sell ( eg. buy 1oz silver coin for like  £24, and sell for like £12). Ebay charge a lot. Dealers pay half price. This forum or other private sell as option. This  are my thoughts after a few days digesting the topics.

So gold looks like is better for newbie, as apparently easier to sell. Read some contradiction advices. Some say- buy only reputable bullion coins. Other- buy whatever cheaper- bars, bigger coins - as long as undamaged, price the same per oz (not thinking about ebay). 

Can someone direct me or explain in a short way for dummies how best to sell PM? 

The purpose is to keep them for longer- if nothing break down in a life earlier, to have a bit extra for retirement (I'm before 40).

At the moment all countries keep printing paper (virtual paper...) so the inflation will eat the money in the bank. So thought to keep some metal as backup (overpaying mortgage works, but can't get money out when needed)

selling PM's is a matter of timing and locations where you can sell. in the states we have many outlets to buy or sell pm's but i do not know about the uk.  as far as timing i think silver is under valued right now and has great potential for profit in the weeks ahead. i also think gold will hit $2000 a ounce U.S. later this year. i buy alot of pm's on auctions here and buy most of them for melt. tonight on auction i am bidding on gold swiss franc all pcgs graded and if i win them i will get the 20 franc for $317 U.S. each. they have a agw of .1867 each. if you were in the states i could show you these auctions. i hope someone near you can help you.  jim

I'd suggest buying sovereigns, imo easiest to buy, easiest to sell. Current spot price is £318.63, chards will currently buy for £318.53 https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/sell-gold-sovereigns/134 , but don't know what the future will bring. I'm guessing this is the simplest option.

You should be able to sell on TSF for spot price plus a small premium of may be 1-3%. Other members can elaborate on this. Ok for a few coins.

Sell on eBay. You can achieve premiums above spot of 5-15%, and may be higher, if well advertised and photographed. Downside are eBay fees (£1 up to 10%) plus PayPal fees. Ok for 1 or 2 coins with numismatic value.

This is a very loose and quick guide, I'm sure other members will have more opinions.

Archived