• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

22 carat Gold, advice for new stacker

EyesoncryptoUK

So as supply squeeze continues I have been contemplating some 22 carat pieces, a royal mint sovereign has caught my eye.

However I am new to stacking so wish to ask what other people's thoughts are on acquiring gold that isn't 999.

I plan to long term hold for retirement so we talking 40 years+!

Would just getting a 1/4 oz 999 gold be a more valid strategy with this long term outlook. 

I don’t think it really matters if it’s 22ct or 24ct unless you’re looking to stack specific gold coins. Just make sure to work out the correct price based on what carat you’re buying.

Buy what you like and like what you buy.

27 minutes ago, Minimalist said:

Personally the 24ct/.999 is key imo. 

1 hour ago, EyesoncryptoUK said:

So as supply squeeze continues I have been contemplating some 22 carat pieces, a royal mint sovereign has caught my eye.

However I am new to stacking so wish to ask what other people's thoughts are on acquiring gold that isn't 999.

I plan to long term hold for retirement so we talking 40 years+!

Would just getting a 1/4 oz 999 gold be a more valid strategy with this long term outlook. 

I started with 2 1/4 oz eagles which I thought was the best way. Then I found the lowest premium is the ONLY way to go. As long as its 90% or more, STACK AWAY! 😉👍

One of the commonest mistakes first-time and even experienced stackers/collectors make is to think that it is better to stack/collect 24 rather than 22 carat gold coins. However, if you are buying gold coins you are buying the actual gold weight of the coin. For example a 1oz gold coin, regardless of whether it is 22 or 24 carat, will both contain one troy ounce of gold. This link should provide some clarification on the issue: 22 Carat Gold or 24 Carat Gold Coins

The sovereign is the most widely traded gold coin in the world. Sovereigns are recognised in most parts of the world.

The added metals in 22k products make them far more durable than pure 24k gold, which is a notoriously soft and pliable metal. Investors who plan on trading or handling their coins more often might find this durability more valuable.

Don't let 22ct put you off buying Sovereigns, extremley liquid (easy to sell if you need the cash). Premiums (the price over spot price) have taken a hike recently on Royal Mints bullion site. This as well as the current high spot price may influence your buying decision at this time.

sovereigns and krugerrands are probably the most famous and liquid  coins in the world and they are both 22 carat. 
My friend doesn’t matter if you buy 22 carat or 24 carat coins, the best coin out there is the one with the lowest premium.

41 minutes ago, Voltron86 said:

What were typical premium of the sovereign prior to the current coronavirus shortages?

Guys please answer this question because I am wondering the same thing. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, werewolf said:

Guys please answer this question because I am wondering the same thing. Thanks!

When the spot price of a sovereign was around 270 (Oct-nov 2019)  you could find them for about 275-80 on TSF or about 280-295 from bullion dealers.

Harrington and Byrne had next to no premium when they wanted to do some marketing. 

On 05/04/2020 at 21:20, Serendipity said:

One of the commonest mistakes first-time and even experienced stackers/collectors make is to think that it is better to stack/collect 24 rather than 22 carat gold coins. However, if you are buying gold coins you are buying the actual gold weight of the coin. For example a 1oz gold coin, regardless of whether it is 22 or 24 carat, will both contain one troy ounce of gold. This link should provide some clarification on the issue: 22 Carat Gold or 24 Carat Gold Coins

Thanks this was really helpful article, learnt a lot.

Thanks to everyone else who chimed in! 

Crazy times right? stay safe all!

Archived