• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold bars

AndyL

Hi all, 

I've bought some silver and toying with buying some gold bars different sizes as reasonable a price as possible if anyone has anything to offer. I'm sure I'll look at coins in time but I haven't the knowledge /confidence atm so looking more at bars/weight for now although I guess I would consider coins if it feels right. With the little knowledge I have golds pretty high and the ratio to silver seems to favour silver atm, what's people's thoughts on this given the current possible economical dark cloud? 

Personally I would just go for Sovereigns.

Usually more liquid, close to spot.  

I think Malcolm Ellis Coins may have stock

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Just now, dicker said:

Best

Dicker

Thanks I'll check them out 👌

5 hours ago, dicker said:

Best

Dicker

You won’t get better advice than this if I could go back I would go 100% sovereigns and try to pick up interesting Victorian ones...

My first Gold purchased were bars from the Perth mint when I was in Perth Australia.  

They are great and I got a good price but many years later, Sovs win out for me.  

All the best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

In the UK the most logical choice is sovs.  Fractional, close to spot, highly liquid, CGT + VAT free and available in bullion, proof to super rare numismatic form so something for everyone.

Still cant beat the feeling of juggling a few big bars though :)

40 minutes ago, dicker said:

I think I remember @LawrenceChard having a page tiled something like “round bars” that explained that bars are not always best.  (Apologies Lawrence if I have got that wrong).

Best

Dicker

There was a similar page on one of our "Legacy" sites, but we have ported this one over, with a few tweaks.

Looks like Bxlsteve beat me to it!

It does depend on the premium though, and coins are often easier to sell.

Chards

Archived