• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fractional Platinum Coins

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

From my basic research most dealers seem to just stock full 1oz Platinum coins. Are there any half, quarter or 1/10th oz Platinum Coins? And which dealers currently stock these. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

tl;dr The American Platinum Eagle, Canadian Platinum Maple, English Platinum Britannia, Chinese Platinum Panda, Austrian Platinum Philharmonic, Australian Platinum Koala, and Isle of Man Platinum Noble were all produced in fractional sizes at one time or another and are attainable in one size or another.  Most fractionals have been discontinued, but can still be found through dealers through either individual sales or in random coin offers. The dealer with the most fractional platinum offerings is  APMEX.

------------------------

Although 1oz definitely is the most common, many coins do come in, or have been released in, fractional sizes. 

The American Platinum Eagle was originally released in 1oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4oz and 1/10 oz denominations, though all but the 1oz were discontinued in 2009. Some fractional sizes can still be found through dealer offers though. JM bullion for example still has the 1/2 oz listed individually as a random year option.

The Canadian Platinum Maple is similar to the APE as it was originally released in 4 fractional sizes (1/2oz, 1/4oz, and 1/10oz, 1/20oz)  All RCM Platinum maples  were discontinued in 2002, but in 2009 they started producing the 1oz maple again and that is all that is offered today. JM bullion still shows a picture of the maple in their random 1/10oz coin offering advertisement (along with the APE).  

Platinum Britannias are still produced annually in fractional sizes (1/2oz, 1/4oz, and 1/10oz).  They are usually the most prevalent fractional platinum coin available for purchase. JM Bullion only offers them in 1oz and 1/10oz but APMEX has all sizes in 2020 mintage.

The Platinum Panda was produced until 2005 (1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz, 1/10oz, 1/20oz). There is a 2002 1/10oz Panda available on APMEX right now but they are quite rare and hold more of a numismatic value than melt value. 

The Perth Mint has quite a few platinum offerings with the Platinum Koala being most prevalent as it has been produced in 1 Kilo, 10oz, 2oz, 1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz, 1/10oz, and 1/20oz sizes. APMEX offers the 1oz, 1/2oz and 1/4oz. They also occasionally offer unique fractional coins in platinum. JM Bullion currently has a 1/3oz Emperor Penguin coin for sale. 

I cannot find much information on it, but the Austrian Philharmonic is available on APMEX in both 1oz and 1/25oz sizes, so they at least offer that fractional

The last one is actually the most unique.  The Isle of Man Platinum Noble was the first platinum investment bullion created, and is still in production today (1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz, 1/10oz, and 1/20oz). They are not minted annually and actually have no set schedule, so availability varies.  Also, although being legal tender, they have no fixed face value stamped on the coin.  Their legal worth is actually the value of platinum itself. All their sizes are available through APMEX

APMEX offers the most variety for platinum that I've seen. Most offerings are out of stock at this time but I'm presuming that's because of the current status of the precious metals market and the massive demand, not true availability

Imperial Russia was truly the first to use platinum coins, with their platinum rubles produced from 1828-1845. These coins are exceedingly rare.  Russia also was making commemorative coins in platinum from 1977-1991.  These also are not commonly available. 

One of the major reasons why I feel there’s not much fractional platinum around is the fact that platinum is not just rarer than gold but also tougher for the mints to work on. Platinum is comparable to titanium in hardness which probably makes it cost-prohibitive to churn out regular fractional platinum pieces. Fractional coins are also much more costlier in the long run to produce and buy than 1oz coins despite their popularity with stackers/collectors.

• Founder & Administrator

@VikingJester11B thank you for your extremely informative post. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

22 hours ago, VikingJester11B said:

Platinum Britannias are still produced annually in fractional sizes (1/2oz, 1/4oz, and 1/10oz). 

Hi

Would it be possible for somebody to kindly post a link to the fractional Brits as referred to above? Particulary interested in the 1/2oz Brits (2020).

Thanks

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 11:11, VikingJester11B said:

imperial Russia was truly the first to use platinum coins, with their platinum rubles produced from 1828-1845. These coins are exceedingly rare.  Russia also was making commemorative coins in platinum from 1977-1991.  These also are not commonly available. 

The USSR platinum pieces should not be too hard to find (under normal conditions; nowadays, of course any platinum is hard to find). They were mostly 1/2 oz, with a few 1/4 and 1/10 at three-digit mintages. I don't remember having ever seen any of the 1/4 and 1/10oz.

I saw this fascinating YouTube video showing these two guys sweeping a sidewalk for the platinum deposits given off by the catalytic converters from passing vehicles. Unbelievably, they successfully found some platinum in the dirt they collected. Gives a whole new definition to mining for one of the rarest metals on this planet!

On 03/04/2020 at 12:08, kneehow2018 said:

Hi

Would it be possible for somebody to kindly post a link to the fractional Brits as referred to above? Particulary interested in the 1/2oz Brits (2020).

Thanks

Everything is hard to find right now so I had no luck with finding the 1/2oz, but the royal mint has a 1/4oz Proof on sale direct from them right now. https://www.royalmint.com/britannia/2020-britannia-coins/britannia-2020-quarter-ounce-platinum-proof-coin/

40 minutes ago, VikingJester11B said:

Everything is hard to find right now so I had no luck with finding the 1/2oz, but the royal mint has a 1/4oz Proof on sale direct from them right now. https://www.royalmint.com/britannia/2020-britannia-coins/britannia-2020-quarter-ounce-platinum-proof-coin/

Hi

Thank you for the link. It would be great to find the 1/2 and 1/4oz BUs - But I've never laid eyes on them. Maybe they're in the States - ha just received an email from the RM saying that due to lack of interest, the RM will not be producing the Royal Arms 1oz Platinum Coin. But, to be fair, I did request in relation to UK production - and true enough the Royal Arms Pt is not on the RM site. But selling at Apmex and GS.be.

It's bizarre that they say it's due to lack of interest.  It's far more likely to be due to lack of marketing.  

It's a shame, I really like the Platinum 1 oz Royal Arms coin.

I've never ordered from Apmex or GS.be.  How straightforward is it for a UK customer to set up an account, pay in GBP and receive delivery?
Any advice appreciated :)

6 hours ago, VikingJester11B said:

Surprised to see the 2020 available (it says Currently Reserved though) as it sold out pretty quickly after release as only 150 mintage. The 2017,18 and 19 still available though.

8 hours ago, VikingJester11B said:

Wow! This is the first time that I’ve actually seen a 1/4oz platinum coin! Not surprisingly, it just has a mintage of 150.

23 hours ago, Stuntman said:

It's bizarre that they say it's due to lack of interest.  It's far more likely to be due to lack of marketing.  

It's a shame, I really like the Platinum 1 oz Royal Arms coin.

I've never ordered from Apmex or GS.be.  How straightforward is it for a UK customer to set up an account, pay in GBP and receive delivery?
Any advice appreciated :)

I haven't checked the Apmex website recently - but as I'm not in the 'business', I'd have to add VAT upon import. GS.be currently have **4 left

1120904562_Screenshot_2020-04-04Commande-GOLDSILVERBE.thumb.png.cb42aef4f71e6bc967f0b6fa76493e7a.png

You could just take a deep breath and jump in - you'll have heard about the customer service on TSF talk I'm sure - but they generally work - although you'll have to wait for the coins due to pre-order and the general chaos. Or buy them on here later! Good luck either way.

Oh and I understand that they are still delivering to the UK (around £26 via UPS/FedEx) and you can pay GPB

I should add that quite a few on here use the European Mint - not sure whether they have any of these coins?

**Update Sun 5/4/20 - GS.be now appear to have replenished stocks at 50

**Update Sun Afternoon - all GONE!

1/2 hour later 50 back up - obviously selling in tranches.

...End of Post

On 03/04/2020 at 08:38, kneehow2018 said:

Hi

Thanks

Generally the 1/2oz formed part of the Britannia 4 piece sets, certainly in earlier years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/04/2020 at 03:24, Serendipity said:

One of the major reasons why I feel there’s not much fractional platinum around is the fact that platinum is not just rarer than gold but also tougher for the mints to work on. Platinum is comparable to titanium in hardness which probably makes it cost-prohibitive to churn out regular fractional platinum pieces. Fractional coins are also much more costlier in the long run to produce and buy than 1oz coins despite their popularity with stackers/collectors.

All of this works out to ridiculous premiums for fractional platinum, similar to the premium/spot ratio of fractional silver.

• 1 month later...

My first (and so far only) foray into platinum was the 1/25 oz platinum Philharmonic. My intention was to get a 1/10 oz Britannia, but given my inability to find one in stock from a reputable source, I went with what was available. In hindsight, I probably would have benefited from waiting for the Britannia, as the price to premium ratio is a bit more favorable, and I wouldn't need a magnifying glass to admire the coin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi. 
i like Pt too & was the first PM I bought. The first coins were fractionals  too and I have two $50 1/2 Oz coins from the USA that are ultra cameo reverses of each other 

Pt is hard to sell, but good to collect I think. I collect some Au 50ps too, and I’d like a platinum one but none has come up on the Silver Forum since I have been a member 

I have some other PT, Pd , Au & Rh as an all round PM collector should 😊

with Pt being so hard to work with, is that why there are so few graded examples? 

Archived