• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

PLATINUM DEALS - (UK & Europe) See a deal, post it here

Interesting topic! I understand the obligations and responsibilities placed on business owners when it comes to following the regulations but I personally just don't want the hassle of providing different forms of ID. In addition, I'm a bit paranoid about data security and so it does put me off when such requirements are involved. Perhaps I'm alone in this respect but thought I'd mention that it does influence where I purchase from - even though I promise I'm not up to any funny business! :D

Edited by SlowFrog

38 minutes ago, SlowFrog said:

Interesting topic! I understand the obligations and responsibilities placed on business owners when it comes to following the regulations but I personally just don't want the hassle of providing different forms of ID. In addition, I'm a bit paranoid about data security and so it does put me off when such requirements are involved. Perhaps I'm alone in this respect but thought I'd mention that it does influence where I purchase from - even though I promise I'm not up to any funny business! :D

I second this post. We're not dodgy, we just don't like being put through all of that and I only buy from brokers who don't ask for this sort of information.

• 2 months later...

Okay coming back here the market price of Platinum has come down now.

Now where can I find the cheapest brand new actual physical platinum deals? :)

I tend to avoid ebay cheaper used because how do I check if its real or fake before buying?

Also None of that funny secure storage available business if you buy Platinum at 20% cheaper but we hold it for you :rolleyes:

Is platinum more rare than gold?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

3 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

No, platinum is slightly more abundant than gold.

So gold is actually rarer; but platinum coins remain far less common than gold coins simply because they are less desirable.

4 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

No, platinum is slightly more abundant than gold.

So gold is actually rarer; but platinum coins remain far less common than gold coins simply because they are less desirable.

Where did you get that from?🤣

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

8 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Where did you get that from?🤣

The lower desirability of (and therefore lower demand for) platinum bullion is evident from posts on this forum, and certain dealers being reluctant to stock it in the first place for those reasons.

As for the rarity, https://www.royalmint.com/invest/discover/gold-news/how-rare-are-precious-metals/ says:

The rarity of a metal is best expressed as its ‘mass fraction’, or how many kg can be expected to be found per billion kg of crust material. Of course, they are not evenly distributed or mining would be impossible, but the number is still useful.

Gold – 4 parts per billion

Silver – 75 parts per billion

Platinum – 5 parts per billion

Osmium – 1.5 parts per billion

Other Platinum group metals – 1 part per billion or less

Don't believe everything the Royal Mint tells you 😂

On 04/12/2021 at 11:32, Happypanda88 said:

Platinum is a rarer metal than gold. But gold was / is a monetary metal, depending how you views things.

Platinum was much more expensive than gold until the financial crisis of 2008. 

Recently, it has fallen behind the price of gold.

Why Platinum lost its crown to gold after the 2008 financial crisis?

Bitcoin for example has a huge price tag due to its 'rarity' only 21 million coins ever.

If platinum is more rare than gold then plat price should be higher than gold right?

Edited by very452001

Generally speaking bars are cheaper than coins in any weight class? Coins are more rare in terms of 'mint design' in compared to a bar? So when it comes to selling coins I will only get a higher price from a private buyer or collector which is the only benefit of buying coins over bars right?

18 minutes ago, very452001 said:

If platinum is more rare than gold then plat price should be higher than gold right?

Logically, you would think so. You could say that platinum is undervalued and gold overvalued. 

Platinum is an industrial metal whereas gold is a monetary metal used as money and in jewellery for thousands of years. Gold is highly desirable and valued in many cultures but not so in platinum. So just because platinum is rarer does not mean it is more desirable.

Similarly, some stackers may have many kilos of precious metals and not one ounce in platinium.

53 minutes ago, very452001 said:

Bitcoin for example has a huge price tag due to its 'rarity' only 21 million coins ever.

In the early 1600, people in Holland during the "Tulipmania" also thought tulip bulbs were rare too ! 

Turn off electricity, then let's see how much a Bitcoin is worth !!!

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dutch_tulip_bulb_market_bubble.asp

• The Dutch Tulip Bulb Market Bubble was one of the most famous asset bubbles and crashes of all time.
  • At the height of the bubble, tulips sold for approximately 10,000 guilders, equal to the value of a mansion on the Amsterdam Grand Canal.
  • Tulips were introduced to Holland in 1593 with the bubble occurring primarily from 1634 to 1637.
  • Recent scholarship has questioned the extent of the tulipmania, suggesting it may have been exaggerated as a parable of greed and excess

On 04/12/2021 at 11:32, Happypanda88 said:

Platinum is a rarer metal than gold. But gold was / is a monetary metal, depending how you views things.

Platinum was much more expensive than gold until the financial crisis of 2008. 

Recently, it has fallen behind the price of gold.

With Platinum being "more expensive" prior to 2011 would you equate that to it being more desirable?  Being market minded I would say Gold has only been more desirable than Platinum for the last 10 years and if it wasn't for Central banks and China hodling, Gold would most likely be less than half the price of Platinum.

Just my two ounces 😁

Edited by ArgentSmith

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot has to do with use on an industry level. Platinum was used in automotive industry especially in catalytic converters, but if I remember rightly they started using palladium more as it was cheaper (part of the same "family") and with more electric cars and slow down of car production generally due to world events. I believe this has played a part in the differing prices of gold vs Platinum now. 

Again just my thoughts 😊

On 15/12/2021 at 07:32, ArgentSmith said:

Being market minded I would say Gold has only been more desirable than Platinum for the last 10 years and if it wasn't for Central banks and China hodling, Gold would most likely be less than half the price of Platinum.

I do not agree.

Central banks are accumulating gold because they know it is sound money with no counterparty risk. They also know that this current debt based monetary system has a limited shelf life, when Nixon terminated the convertibility of the US dollar into gold in August 1971.

The System had a big crash in 2008 and has been on life support ever since.  At some point, a house of cards built on sand will collapse. Then whoever has the most gold makes the rules -Golden Rule !  

You do not hear Central Banks hoarding platinum because it is not considered a monetary metal.  Equally, you do not hear of people in the Far East (perhaps Middle East as well) holding platinum and saving it for a rainy day.  On the contrary, gold is far more sought-after and more diserable in these cultures than platinum. It has been that way for centuries not just the last 10 years. 

So if there is still such a thing as supply and demand that determines the price of a commodity, gold wins over platimum.

On 15/12/2021 at 07:32, ArgentSmith said:

Just my two ounces 😁

Your two ounces does not hold much weight !  Try one kilo !! 😜

2 hours ago, ShineyMagpie said:

Platinum was used in automotive industry especially in catalytic converters, but if I remember rightly they started using palladium more as it was cheaper (part of the same "family")

......so is palladium continued to be used in catalytic converters (and for other industrial products) even when it is twice the price of platinum ?!  Why not go back to platinum as it is way cheaper now ? 

I personally do not understand the real difference between of these metals.  So I don't have the answer but just putting out there.