• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 10,000+ forum members. 

1 hour ago, 5huggy said:

ALL "progress" towards the Goal is an achievement ,buddy, irrespective of size of each STEP! 😉👍 

Cheers 5huggy, very true:)

28 minutes ago, stackspot said:

The best exercise to lose weight is cardio

I Think thats true if you do a ton of it, the thing is I have a low muscle mass and by adding some muscle it will help my metabolism longer term - or thats the plan. 

Im hoping this is just a slow week - i guess it was due after 12 weeks of good losses.

1 hour ago, Madstacks said:

A measly 1/4 of a pound weight loss this week! no change in diet and have been weight lifting with intensity (with three day rest periods as i seem to take forever to recover right now) girlfriend has mentioned i have gained some muscle, but weightloss has to be priority. since im not doing anything wrong as such I will carry on as normal. At least its not a gain!

As long as you keep trending in the right direction that's always good

i guess continue as you are, could just be holding more water this week for whatever reason, but if you notice the same next week probably have to adjust something

Whether that's less calories, more light cardio or accessing supplements that could help

^ The more I learn about vitamins, minerals, hormones etc they play such a role in your metabolism and your bodies propensity to want to hold on to fat

Still being sore after weight lifting is interesting, you've been doing it for a while right? I tend to find I only really get super sore if I take a break from doing anything for couple weeks and approach it fresh and new, if I'm consistent I get a bit sore/stiff but nothing too severe, nothing like the first two weeks (unless I do way more than I usually would or a new movement)

It might be indicative you're doing too much in your sessions or you're deficient in something that helps your body repair tissue

I would try a magnesium rub first see if that helps, use it everyday after the shower, especially on the muscles that are sore

You absorb the magnesium through your skin and it's good for everything, lots of vital function including repairing muscles and regulating insulin/glucose for weight loss 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

I don't know anything about stocks or investing

53 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

Cheers 5huggy, very true:)

I Think thats true if you do a ton of it, the thing is I have a low muscle mass and by adding some muscle it will help my metabolism longer term - or thats the plan. 

Im hoping this is just a slow week - i guess it was due after 12 weeks of good losses.

Muscle is heavier than fat also. So actually when you are weightlifting you may not notice that change in weightloss.

Hehe Chamoooooooooooooooon!!!!  Check my crib video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IsJbgZDTw

You can download Mike Maloney's Gold Silver book free here https://pages.goldsilver.com/freebook

You give a man a gun he can rob a bank, You give a man a bank he can rob the world.

1 hour ago, Kman said:

As long as you keep trending in the right direction that's always good

i guess continue as you are, could just be holding more water this week for whatever reason, but if you notice the same next week probably have to adjust something

Whether that's less calories, more light cardio or accessing supplements that could help

^ The more I learn about vitamins, minerals, hormones etc they play such a role in your metabolism and your bodies propensity to want to hold on to fat

Still being sore after weight lifting is interesting, you've been doing it for a while right? I tend to find I only really get super sore if I take a break from doing anything for couple weeks and approach it fresh and new, if I'm consistent I get a bit sore/stiff but nothing too severe, nothing like the first two weeks (unless I do way more than I usually would or a new movement)

It might be indicative you're doing too much in your sessions or you're deficient in something that helps your body repair tissue

I would try a magnesium rub first see if that helps, use it everyday after the shower, especially on the muscles that are sore

You absorb the magnesium through your skin and it's good for everything, lots of vital function including repairing muscles and regulating insulin/glucose for weight loss 

Now that you mention is kman I have stopped taking a multi vit that i used to! just ran out and did not get round to taking any more - will get right on that! 

We did have gammon steak for dinner last night, very salty so may be a water retention thing.

I do seem to take ages to recover - im going for progressive overload training, so each workout i add more weight or reps.

I can work out after two days rest, but seem to struggle and not add weight, where as a three day rest I usualy gain reps. 

I haven't been doing it that long, i did a few weeks, then had that jaw infection and had to stop for a couple of weeks, and have been doing it about three weeks again since that healed enough. My strength has literally doubled..Im putting this down to "beginner gains" and to some minor degree muscle memory. On a calorie deficit i should not be able to build much muscle but since I have so much fat stored that may be fueling some growth. 

I do make sure i get about 150 grams of protein a day.

Thanks for the tip on the magnesium rub, will give that a go! 

42 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Muscle is heavier than fat also. So actually when you are weightlifting you may not notice that change in weightloss.

That's a good point, whilst it doesn't show because of very high fat levels I do think I have gained a fair bit of muscle - a pound or so at the very least, maybe more. I think a 1/4 pound weight loss could realistically be half a pound of fat lost and 1/4 of muscle gained:)

Just now, 5huggy said:

@Madstacks are you just getting to the right "FIGHTING WEIGHT" to take me on! ? 😉🤣

minions GIF

Im not so sure about that - minions don't look very heavy! 🤣

Recovery shouldn't take longer than 48 hours so you may be over doing it with weights

Its not muscle strain I'd be concerned about it"s heart strain

24 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

Im not so sure about that - minions don't look very heavy! 🤣

thats cos we "Punch above our Weight!   🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This podcasts well worth a watch @Madstacks Both Rich and Goggins helped me alot especially with mindset when you hit those times you just don't want to do anymore and also diet with Rich. They're pretty extreme but when I'm out for a run and hit that point I just want to give in I just rerun some of things from videos of them and it pushes you through it.

Well done you're doing great! 

44 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

I do seem to take ages to recover - im going for progressive overload training, so each workout i add more weight or reps.

I have a personal system I like to do for progression, I'm not sure if it's the best/smartest/scieinfitic way but I'm not going to be entering any bodybuilding or weightlifting competitions so I don't feel like it matters too much

For any particular exercise I try and go close to failure every set, I do four sets in a session, twice a week

I don't pick up anything I can't do at least 8 reps with and more like 12+ at a push, I'm not interested in what my max is at anything

I keep doing that weight until I can start getting up to doing 15+ to failure, however long that takes

Only then do I increase the weight to whatever brings me back down to only being able to do 8-12 again 

So basically only the reps are set in stone, the weight and the timeframes are loose and down to my body deciding , wait till it's adjusted, comfortable and acclimatised then let that be the signal to up things

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

I don't know anything about stocks or investing

1 hour ago, stackspot said:

Recovery shouldn't take longer than 48 hours so you may be over doing it with weights

Its not muscle strain I'd be concerned about it"s heart strain

Just did a symptom checker and I dont have any of the symptoms for it, appart from aching but that will be muscle related - it is a concern due to my weight but i feel like i need to do it to help me lose weight. I keep my workouts under an hour and rest about 90 seconds between sets. That said i do lift heavy. I had an ECG last year and there was no abnormal readings so hopefully ok there.

@AndyL Thank you! will check that video out

@Kman Thats pretty much what i do but with lower reps, I go with a weight i can do six of and then when I can do 8 i move up weight, and do three sets..I remember my body responds better to this than lots of lighter weight for more reps from when i did this years ago. 

I think its my body type, i can do short explosive power alot better than endurance.

Weigh in today, week 14

Start weight - 22 stone 1 lb

Last week Weigh in -  19 stone 11.75lbs

Current weight - 19 stone 10.25lbs

Total Loss to date - 31.6 lbs

Pound and a half this week, thats more like it. Id say thats a perfect weight loss, averaged out across the last two weeks is 3/4 of a pound and thats less than id like. I know why it is, i have not been doing all the walking...But i have been eating right and lifting heavy. 

Going to swap from a full body workout to a push/pull routine. I think I can get an extra workout a week in this way. 

On 24/06/2020 at 08:52, Madstacks said:

Weigh in today, week 14

Last week Weigh in -  19 stone 11.75lbs

Current weight - 19 stone 10.25lbs

Total Loss to date - 31.6 lbs

Pound and a half this week, thats more like it. Id say thats a perfect weight loss, averaged out across the last two weeks is 3/4 of a pound and thats less than id like. I know why it is, i have not been doing all the walking...But i have been eating right and lifting heavy. 

Going to swap from a full body workout to a push/pull routine. I think I can get an extra workout a week in this way. 

Only just come across this thread. Keep up the good work mate.

I started on the 1st of June with a Personal Trainer & a diet plan. I started at 12st 5lb & I am 5ft 7 & I have 2 more days to go but I have lost nearly 17lbs to date so in 2 more days will be 1 month in & will have lost it. I feel much better, not as tired as usual. I workout 3x a week currently doing HIIT training on a Monday, 3.5k run on a Weds & Strength training on a Saturday. I do occasionaly ache a couple of days after if its a muscle group that has not been worked but generally I am fine now. I hate ab workouts as that gives me a real burning sensation but all good. My PT has now told me to add abit more Protein into my diet which should slow the weight loss down slightly but increase my muscle mass & start to see some toning.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, shawy2510 said:

Only just come across this thread. Keep up the good work mate.

I started on the 1st of June with a Personal Trainer & a diet plan. I started at 12st 5lb & I am 5ft 7 & I have 2 more days to go but I have lost nearly 17lbs to date so in 2 more days will be 1 month in & will have lost it. I feel much better, not as tired as usual. I workout 3x a week currently doing HIIT training on a Monday, 3.5k run on a Weds & Strength training on a Saturday. I do occasionaly ache a couple of days after if its a muscle group that has not been worked but generally I am fine now. I hate ab workouts as that gives me a real burning sensation but all good. My PT has now told me to add abit more Protein into my diet which should slow the weight loss down slightly but increase my muscle mass & start to see some toning.

Well done shawy thats amazing in just a month! 🙂 how you enjoying the strength training? its become my fav bit but I have spent a ton on fixed weight hex dumbells (at store prices not the ridiculous covid markups on ebay)

Hitting protein levels can be a bit of a pain since you need 1g per lb of lean body mass for muscle building..Theres some handy stuff out there for it. 

I have a bowl of this stuff in the mornings - https://www.theproteinworks.com/protein-porridge-360?140=368&179=167&gclid=CjwKCAjwxev3BRBBEiwAiB_PWHUdsA02Q7-XmuZUmNE09CsHF1NavY08wL3WGuJeEeLuZFmYYkEdlBoCce8QAvD_BwE

Thats 20 grams and if you buy in bulk works out 35p a day - tastes great too. also a pot of cottage cheese before bed is good as its slow release casein protein that helps your muscles rebuild overnight (when the growth actually happens) 

Not keen on the taste but some black pepper ground in helps.

ps. I know your PT has sorted you out a nutrition plan - just thought id share what i do

Weigh in day tomorrow! will be 15 weeks in.

Edited by Madstacks

Enjoying it all to be honest, I do enjoy the strength training though as I do get a slight rest inbetween sets. Last nights HIIT was pretty brutal on my endurance.

I had to do

30 seconds skipping into 10x 5kg ball slams (3 sets) with a 30 second gap between each set. I then went onto a 5 piece circuit which consisted of 30 seconds standing chest press into 30 seconds standing rows into 30 seconds of rope chasers into 30 seconds of Russian twists into 30 seconds of bicep curls. 5 sets of this with a 1 minute gap after each full set completed. I then had to do squats with a 14kg kettle & had to go down then push up & bring weight over my head x3 sets of 10. To finish I had an abs blast which was 2 mins of flitter kicks & ball to toes. I was knackered after. 

I may invest in some myself once I get alot more into it but I plan on being with the PT for upto a year to get that toned body I desire.

I have protein shakes which I am due to start which are 24g plus whatever is in semi skimmed milk so quite alot. Generally have eggs in the morning & fish or chicken for dinner so adding quite abit of protein.

Posted (edited)

Wow yeah that lot will get you toned thats for sure - id pass out after 10 mins of that😂

protein shakes are also a must really,  can do it all with whole foods and they are better but it sure costs a lot!

You right though thats the nice thing about strength training, you do get to rest. I have 3 mins between sets and do 3 sets of 6 -8 lifting heavy. 

I do overhead press, benchpress, bent over rows, deadlifts, and then just 1 set of tricep kick backs and one set of arm curls. Then i usualy take three whole days off before doing again.

even with the 3 mins rest periods by the end im dripping in sweat.

Strength has pretty much doubled in 6 weeks, but i think its down to muscle memory from before and maybe just a better link between my brain and arms. 

Edited by Madstacks

Posted (edited)

Weigh in today, week 15

Last week Weigh in -  19 stone 10.25lbs

Current weight - 19 stone 9.0lbs

Total Loss to date - 32.8 lbs

Good week this week, pound and a quarter down, strength up at least a rep on all exercises. Was a test this week as was my birthday a few days ago and so i treated myself to about 700 extra calories consisting of a couple of ales, a magnum ice cream and some crisps. next day was strait back to eating usual calories. This is a positive step because i have proved to myself I can have a day where i eat more or things I would not usually eat without derailing what im doing. This will be essential on days like christmas day and birthdays ect. 

Next week is the 12 week mark from my last photos. I dont really look any different yest as i have soo much to lose but I will be taking progress photos and putting them up here.

Edited by Madstacks

Well done mate, goes to show it can be done.

My 1 month weigh in was today at 11st 2.5lb down from 12st 5lb. I can see a massive difference on my stomach putting the pictures side by side. 

4 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

4lbs a week at your weight is crazy good - you must be running at a huge calorie deficit? well done! 😃

I am running a calorie deficit, compared to what I was having before which was probably like 2500+ calories of bad foods, full fat coke & balery everyday. I am now working on around 1500-1600 a day. I have breakfast, lunch & dinner but its been set out so I rarely get hungry inbetween meals. I snack very occasionally now & if I do its either fruit or nuts.

From this week I am now adding the protein shakes for increase muscle mass & definition. 

Your workouts are so intense they are burning so many calories. to lose 1 lb you need to be at a 3500 calorie deficit (thats why a 500 calorie deficit is usually recommended to lose a lb a week) 

For that weight loss you must be running at a 1700 calorie deficit. And that totally adds up with your new eating regime, lack of full fat coke and the excersize you have been doing.

Your putting me to shame Shawy , i think i need to up my game 😂

18 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

Your workouts are so intense they are burning so many calories. to lose 1 lb you need to be at a 3500 calorie deficit (thats why a 500 calorie deficit is usually recommended to lose a lb a week) 

For that weight loss you must be running at a 1700 calorie deficit. And that totally adds up with your new eating regime, lack of full fat coke and the excersize you have been doing.

Your putting me to shame Shawy , i think i need to up my game 😂

No chance mate your doing amazingly well. My sister is doing it aswel & shes bigger than me but smaller in height & shes doing fantastic but also not on the same levels as I am doing. Remember I am alot smaller than you, I am only 30 aswel so still youngish 🤣 I lost 10lb within 2 weeks but has slowed down since. 1st week was alot of water weight. Yes I reckon I am down 50% on calories to what I used to consume. 4 cans of coke is around 650 calories before the sweets etc so soon adds up. Weight loss is slowing down for me but thats ok as I need to build the muscle mass aswel as lose fat.

Those cans of coke sure do add up! we always used to drink the pepsi max sugar free stuff but im sure even that has chemicals in that makes weight harder to drop. 

Thats good to hear your sisters doing it to! I think thats one good thing to come from this corona outbreak - more people are considering their health and looking to improve it.

Cheers though mate, was only jokin really, With the amount i have to lose its going to be a marathon not a sprint. Your right though, building muscle is really important. that added muscle makes fat easier to lose as it gives us a higher metabolism. 

and it looks good😁

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use