• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 10,000+ forum members. 

Posted (edited)

Good luck! Trying to stop blazing but this seems the perfect time to blaze! Lol

Bought a whole gym set, cage, bench, weights, treadmill etc etc about 10 years ago (lifetime warranty too). Cost me £1k, think that worked out to 3 years gym membership back then. Not seen prices of weight sets on eBay but guess the demand is there!

Edited by AlphaBeast

Posted (edited)

I stopped drinking energy drinks at the start of the year.  I think that has improved my immune system.  I work 12 hour shifts sometimes 6/7 long with overtime and don’t feel run down or picking up colds after a run of shifts even when I don’t get much sleep. 

Our gym at work is now closed but I have weights at home. Just need to keep it up. 

Keep this updated with your progress as it will be motivating. 

Edited by RichmondStacker

One of the side effects of this Corona virus is that people may start looking at their health more closely.

The pitfalls are that the 'tinterweb is chokka with nonsense and misinformation about health and fitness so the advice is tread carefully.

I recently (before the current situation) lost 2st 4lbs.  I wasn’t ‘fat’ at 15st2 and 6ft2 but I feel way better now and just in time for a lockdown diet 😄

Mostly achieved by cutting out c**p food, calorie counting and extra long dog walks.

30 minutes ago, AlphaBeast said:

Bought a whole gym set, cage, bench, weights, treadmill etc etc about 10 years ago (lifetime warranty too). Cost me £1k, think that worked out to 3 years gym membership back then. Not seen prices of weight sets on eBay but guess the demand is there!

That gym set is currently worth thousands! i see simple spinlock dumbells with about 20kg weight, rusky, selling for £100 on ebay currently and most if not all stockists are out.

27 minutes ago, RichmondStacker said:

I stopped drinking energy drinks at the start of the year.  I think that has improved my immune system.  I work 12 hour shifts sometimes 6/7 long with overtime and don’t feel run down or picking up colds after a run of shifts even when I don’t get much sleep. 

Our gym at work is now closed but I have weights at home. Just need to keep it up. 

Keep this updated with your progress as it will be motivating. 

ah yeah i used to drink a lot of them, glad i stopped i swear they made my heart feel weird! Thanks will do:)

5 minutes ago, Norskgeld said:

One of the side effects of this Corona virus is that people may start looking at their health more closely.

The pitfalls are that the 'tinterweb is chokka with nonsense and misinformation about health and fitness so the advice is tread carefully.

Yeah i think so, if this isnt a kick up the arse i dont think anything will be. I am just calorie counting, filling up on staple foods, having a protien shake after workout and a pot of cottage cheese before bed. 

I started doing some form of exercise everyday a year ago

I've naturally lazy so I'm surprised I stuck with it

One big take away for me was make sure you use correct form; watch youtube videos about where everything is suppose to be in the movement

^ I thought push ups were a no brainer until I popped a muscle in my armpit after 3 weeks lol just a small tear in my teres minor but it was because I wasn't tucking my elbows so I was putting too much weight on a small muscle that wasn't used to it

The other big thing is don't exhaust yourself, there's a right level of uncomfortable you want to get to you can build on but there's no point going to exhaustion, it will put you off continuing, you can progress slowly and in a month or two your uncomfortable will become what would have killed you when you started out

Other thing is do exercises you enjoy (for the most part)

Even a fast paced walk if you don't feel like doing anything else is a million times better than nothing 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

I don't know anything about stocks or investing

Posted (edited)

I am also naturally lazy so i know what you mean there, i did enjoy my first workout though i felt good afterwards and have time to kill. Luckily i did work out years ago so my form is better than it probably would be if this was totally new, I know to keep elbows tucked in and not cheat and swing the weights around. I am exclusively using dumbells but i believe you dont need anything else. I am currently so weak - but if muscle memory is a real thing then i should regain strength fairly quickly.

Plan is full body workout three times a week, but i wont hesitate to have an extra days rest if i am still not recovered - last thing i want do is any damage that will stop me lifting.

On a calorie deficit im not really expecting to gain any muscle, but if i can boost metabolism that should help a lot.  

Am also getting out in the garden and doing gardening (WTF lol) 

Edited by Madstacks

1 hour ago, Madstacks said:

Anyone else trying to get fighting fit in preparation for fighting Covid-19? We all are going to get it i guess one day and need to be as strong as we can be...I started a month ago now...I started with upping vitamin C and taking multi vitamins and fruit and veg (never ate these before) 

Then last week I decided to diet pretty full on as i am 22 stone and have a BMI of 43 and that puts me at morbidly obese and in the "high risk" category ...first weigh in yesterday and lost 4 pounds. 

Yesterday I also pulled some rusty old free weights out the garage, have ordered some hammerite spray and started lifting weights, luckily I also have a good strong dumbell bench - my word i cant believe what fitness stuff is selling on ebay for!?! 

Luckily I gave up smoking five years ago and vaping a year ago - so my weight and fitness levels is my last thing to do. 

Is anyone else joining me on this mission?

''Diver's pushups'' - literally blowing up a water balloon, letting the air out, blowing it up again..., jogging three times a day, walking the dog 6 times a day, watching what I eat - no carbs or junk food, watching when I eat not before 7am and no afer 6pm, strength raining as in holding out my guitar with my arm straight for 30 minues at a ime in each arm and doing at 5 or 6 times a day per arm and my guitar weighs a good 7-8 kilos, lifting weights, one that gets lighter after every swig though I'm averaging 2 of them a day and they start off weighing just over 1kg, and one that gets lighter after every cone my water pipe is a yardie so weighs a good 2-3 kilos - do the last two count cause they're the most enjoyable ones.

2 hours ago, AlphaBeast said:

Are you referring to ganja,weed marijuana, skunk, cannabis? 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

Are you referring to ganja,weed marijuana, skunk, cannabis? 

I call it ''proof that god loves us'' in my house.

Edited by Seth

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Goldhooked said:

I recently (before the current situation) lost 2st 4lbs.  I wasn’t ‘fat’ at 15st2 and 6ft2 but I feel way better now and just in time for a lockdown diet 😄

Mostly achieved by cutting out c**p food, calorie counting and extra long dog walks.

I don't know about you but I not only find taking the dog out for long walks to be a great way of bonding with him, and as a way to give him some exercise and outdoor play time, but also extremely therapeutic, no matter how much I manage to tire the dog and myself out after a nice long walk I always feel calmer, more relaxed and ''lighter'' as if a massive weight has just been lifted off my shoulders.

Edited by Seth

Yea I've cut out pretty much all carbs and exercising much more. At my age I intend to start slowly, no weights for a while. Although I may start digging a few holes and rescaping the garden soon.

Happy to receive feedback on all my trades. If anyone wants feedback from me, just say the word.

I've walked between 3 & 6 miles every day since my early 20's & before I had kids anywhere from 8 to 15 miles at the weekend. Walking is a fantastic form of exercise, helps you think, costs you nothing, you meet people to chat to etc etc. I was in Majorca Sept last year & walked 6-10 miles every day loved it, followed that by 20 lengths of the pool. I'm 6'1" & only weigh 5lbs more than when I was at my fittest when I was 21. I'm bang on 13st

I've never set foot in a gym but do have a set of dumbbells & kettle bells which I use with various stretching exercises once a week for 45mins.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

well have had the heart attack 5 years ago, & doing a sedentary job sat all day , i decided It was time I needed exercise so I started to jog round my small village on my lunch hour , only takes me 15 mins 5 days a week( weekends are busy and physical so takes place of) , cant say I can run a marathon but I don't get out of breath running up the stairs now :) cant say it has had a great weight loss effect though but that more down to diet which I fall down on, I am also taking supplements in a vein effort to up the immune system, I do  have a susceptibility for chest infections since a bout of pneumonia 10 years ago so finger crossed I will have done enough when it strikes as I agree we will all get it in some form at some point:(

dean.m

1 minute ago, motorbikez said:

I've walked between 3 & 6 miles every day since my early 20's & before I had kids anywhere from 8 to 15 miles at the weekend. Walking is a fantastic form of exercise, helps you think, costs you nothing, you meet people to chat to etc etc. I was in Majorca Sept last year & walked 6-10 miles every day loved it, followed that by 20 lengths of the pool. I'm 6'1" & only weigh 5lbs more than when I was at my fittest when I was 21. I'm bang on 13st

I've never set foot in a gym but do have a set of dumbbells & kettle bells which I use with various stretching exercises once a week for 45mins.

That's one thing I really miss since moving to the U.K., swimming, until five years ago I was swimming 20 kilometers - 400 laps of an olympic size swimming pool, every morning, it would take me less than 2 hours, but since moving to the U.K. it's next to impossible to find an olympic sized swimming pool, yet alone a swimming pool to swim laps in because it's full of people standing about having a chat

1 hour ago, Seth said:

I don't know about you but I not only find taking the dog out for long walks to be a great way of bonding with him, and as a way to give him some exercise and outdoor play time, but also extremely therapeutic, no matter how much I manage to tire the dog and myself out after a nice long walk I always feel calmer, more relaxed and ''lighter'' as if a massive weight has just been lifted off my shoulders.

Yep, pretty much spot on.

@Seth Yeah I used to love swimming as a youngster dad used to take me my brother + a few more kids swimming nearly every night during the season May to Sept to an outdoor pool 8 miles from where we lived. Unfortunately as you say in the UK you can't really enjoy a swim because in general they are over crowded.

But walking no one has an excuse its an anytime anywhere type of exercise.

9 minutes ago, motorbikez said:

@Seth Yeah I used to love swimming as a youngster dad used to take me my brother + a few more kids swimming nearly every night during the season May to Sept to an outdoor pool 8 miles from where we lived. Unfortunately as you say in the UK you can't really enjoy a swim because in general they are over crowded.

But walking no one has an excuse its an anytime anywhere type of exercise.

I really miss it, I'm a water baby, I could swim before I could walk, and until I moved to the U.K. five years ago I always had access to an olympic size swimming pool 24/7, either my parents own pool - the condos that they lived in and houses that they lived in when I was a child all had their own private swimming pools, and when I moved out and go my own place I always had a olympic sized swimming pool in the back garden, even when I took a 5 year holiday from music and worked as a diver I was living in either a 5 star resort with several pools or with my ex wife in one of properties I bought - a condo, with it's own olympic size swimming pool.

Posted (edited)

By the way swimming 10 kilometers in under an hour is an incredible pace are you sure about that most people couldn't run 10K in under an hour.

Edited by motorbikez

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, motorbikez said:

By the way swimming 10 kilometers in under an hour is an incredible pace are you sure about that most people couldn't run 10K in under an hour.

I dove professionally for 5 years, I was swimming well over 20 kilometers 7 days a week at work and that was after swimming 20 kilometers in the morning before diving all day at work with anything up to almost 200kg of equipment on my back - 6 30cuft SCUBA tanks plus regulators, BCD, BackPlate, pony bottle, reel, lift bag, and even before I took my 5 year holiday from music I swam a lot, every school I went to, in every counry I studied in it was one of the few sports that my P.E. teachers would let me do - I wasn' allowed to do a lot of sports at school after suffering a few ''boxers fractures'' and broken fingers from contact sports such as boxing, kick boxing and rugby as I was very very heavily into music I actually had the equivalent of music GCSE's in three instruments before I was 10 years old and teachers where worried about me damaging the dexterity of my fingers and hands.  I was always on the school swim teams and represented the area/town/district that the schools where based in, I was even scouted to join the training to swim for Australia as an under 16 at one point but chose music over swimming.  I'm not joking when I said I could swim before I could walk, I was raised among rig workers and their familes, my Mum used to take me and my sister down to the Condo's pool we lived in at the time when I was months old and dump us in the pool with the rest of the expat children while she sun bathed all day.

Edited by Seth

1 minute ago, zhoutonged said:

It sounds like a World Record to me 😂

It's not even close, the world record for 100 meters is under 45 seconds, the world record for 1.5 kilometers is under 15 minues, it's all to do with technique, not bending your knees, but locking them so that your legs are straight and you're stretching your toes out as far as you can when your swimming forward crawl, taking breathes a regular inervals but not too often, nor too few.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, zhoutonged said:

Ive just done the math, thats one lap every 20 seconds 🏆

I'd say it takes me between 23 and 25 seconds to do a lap of an olympic size pool swimming front crawl and about 28-30 seconds for breathstroke, I don't think I can do it thoses times now though, it's been five years almost since I used to swim 400 laps everymorning.  I'd really be interested to see the time it would take me nowadays for 400 laps.

Edited by Seth

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use