• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bullion vs. Re-strikes

AndyS

Noticed something interesting on the Austrian Mint site - the Philharmonic bullion coins are bouncing between in and out of stock, but the same action is not visible in the Ducat, Crown, Gulden restrike ‘collection’ which are all solidly ‘in stock’

Given the run on all things gold and bullion, I would expect to see these being hovered up together with the Philharmonics ...

Thoughts?

Note to self - don’t make ‘jokes’ involving sovereigns 😧

maybe you are right and no matter how tight supply of physical is, people will stay away from lower purity coins. Seems a little ‘picky’ in the current market

6 hours ago, AndyS said:

same action is not visible in the Ducat, Crown, Gulden restrike ‘collection’ which are all solidly ‘in stock’

Because general buyers are a bit cray cray and prefer 24ct coins. Those restrikes are stunning. The other thing = the restrikes are minted in high quantity each year so they probably have a higher stock count. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

It was interesting to me peoples opinions on this as the Re-strikes appear next to the Philharmonics on the Investment page rather than collectibles 

As an aside, when I bought a 1oz Philharmonic last week when they were going for €1377, I nearly put the 100 Crown in the basket instead as it is beautiful and basically the same amount of gold ... next time ...

4 hours ago, HawkHybrid said:

sovereigns are about liquidity and not purity.

the general trend is to move towards higher purity.

eg silver britannia.

sovereigns are unique amongst coins, it's not the norm.

HH

Would be interesting to understand how the liquidity situation is in mainland Europe when it comes to the ducats, gulden, crowns, francs, etc....

38 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

The other thing = the restrikes are minted in high quantity each year so they probably have a higher stock count. 

I was actually surprised they are offered by the Austrian mint. I thought the restrikes would have stopped decades ago, in the 1960s and 1980s depending on the coin and even earlier in some cases? Also least I read that somewhere. Unfortunately, I can't remember where.

4 minutes ago, AndyS said:

Would be interesting to understand how the liquidity situation is in mainland Europe when it comes to the ducats, gulden, crowns, francs, etc....

you just need to check how many local dealers have provision

for dealing with the coin in question. krugerrands and sovereigns

are the two most recognised gold coins.

HH

7 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

I was actually surprised they are offered by the Austrian mint. I thought the restrikes would have stopped decades ago, in the 1960s and 1980s depending on the coin and even earlier in some cases? Also least I read that somewhere. Unfortunately, I can't remember where.

I think there was a design change to either the 1 ducat or

4 ducat re-strike in recent years.(or maybe both?)

HH

love them restrikes, I believe someone who likes francs shouldnt look down on these coins.

Judging from myself when I was a newbie in pm (still am) I went straight for the bars, wouldnt even consider the plillharmonics, didnt even look the section

with the coins

Today bars of all sizes are ‘Sold out’ as are most of the philharmonics with the exception of 1oz which is available with limited supply, however, against this background and also considering that the oz premium is in the 4-5% range still, ALL of the historic re-strikes are still available!

• 1 month later...
On 25/03/2020 at 17:23, HawkHybrid said:

it claimed to be a 'new' re-strike.

(that's as far as my curiosity got)

HH

Well the ducat from the Netherlands has indeed had a bit of design change in recent years but I have not seen that the Austrian one has.

Technically I guess the Netherlands coins are straight collectors coins as they are strike to order proofs rather than re-strikes. 2017 was the 200 year anniversary of the modern ducat (features the dates 1817/2017 like another coin we are familiar with). 2018 and 2019 are the first two of a 4-year run celebrating international trade routes - North and East respectively. South and West to follow in 2020 and 2021. 

Archived