• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Platinum - a buy right now? Better than Gold?

ChrisSilver

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think there’s any harm in anyone diversifying their stack/collection with platinum even if it’s just with one platinum piece. The problem with silver is that it’s the cheapest precious metal around and takes up a lot of space. Gold on the other hand is the precious metal that gets all the attention but is also one of the most expensive to stack/collect at the moment. Platinum provides a middle ground between those two fluctuating extremes. It’s neither too cheap nor too expensive but rarer than both silver and gold.

I have always thought Platinum would be way too expensive to buy till this weekend when i looked up the charts. Couldn't belive it, funny Canada's most vaulable coin is a $300 Platinum, same with some other countries, even Russia had 3 coins back in the day like 1854pre were PLT and were the highest valued.

Historically Gold has been peaked only an extra 10%, Silver has been 3x, and PLT has been 3x what it is.

So whats the buy now?

You can get GLD @ 10% over Spot, Silver @ 25% over spot, and PLT at 10% over - What sells me here is PLT has the lowest cost to aquire over spot and historically highest to go. NOT exact numbers but with these geralities this is a strong BUY just based on historical numbers and current Cost to Aquire.

Its been stated before but check out whats slated for 2022:

Diesel though not as popular in smaller cars now will be here for the long haul, even small 1/2 ton Merica trucks are being offered in Diesel now. I still agree with stated above that a lot of the reasoning behind the down swing is fear mongered from that VW scandal.

PLT is widely being used in medical, injectionable (is this a word 🤨) metals. Which to me I see a huge possible inflation for prosthetic, and even stated cancer treatments, unreal!

This list is an amazing outline I hope is Stickied in a new thread titled:

What is Platinum Used For

Incredible Uses of Platinum

platinum-uses.png

I am new to metal buying but one thing I do know is History LOVES repeating itself. So Im jumping in and will sell half @ 2100$/ounce and keep the rest till the moon.

50 minutes ago, OneBlueSummer said:

I have always thought Platinum would be way too expensive to buy till this weekend when i looked up the charts. Couldn't belive it, funny Canada's most vaulable coin is a $300 Platinum, same with some other countries, even Russia had 3 coins back in the day like 1854pre were PLT and were the highest valued.

Historically Gold has been peaked only an extra 10%, Silver has been 3x, and PLT has been 3x what it is.

So whats the buy now?

You can get GLD @ 10% over Spot, Silver @ 25% over spot, and PLT at 10% over - What sells me here is PLT has the lowest cost to aquire over spot and historically highest to go. NOT exact numbers but with these geralities this is a strong BUY just based on historical numbers and current Cost to Aquire.

Its been stated before but check out whats slated for 2022:

Diesel though not as popular in smaller cars now will be here for the long haul, even small 1/2 ton Merica trucks are being offered in Diesel now. I still agree with stated above that a lot of the reasoning behind the down swing is fear mongered from that VW scandal.

PLT is widely being used in medical, injectionable (is this a word 🤨) metals. Which to me I see a huge possible inflation for prosthetic, and even stated cancer treatments, unreal!

This list is an amazing outline I hope is Stickied in a new thread titled:

What is Platinum Used For

Incredible Uses of Platinum

platinum-uses.png

I am new to metal buying but one thing I do know is History LOVES repeating itself. So Im jumping in and will sell half @ 2100$/ounce and keep the rest till the moon.

I love reading all this stuff about precious metals. One interesting fact that I’ve recently discovered about another precious, silver, is that if you place an ice cube on a silver coin or bar, the ice will begin to melt immediately. Obviously, ice will melt if placed on anything at room temperature, for example, but if placed on silver it will melt much more quickly and impressively. This is because silver has the highest thermal conductivity, as compared to other metals. We all know that ice melts at room temperature, but when placed on a silver bar, it will melt at a faster pace. The silver will turn cold in a few seconds.

3 hours ago, OneBlueSummer said:

You can get gold at 4% over spot from dealers, less on the forum. Would love to know where you can get platinum at 10% over spot - I've got my credit card ready to go!! 😄

3 hours ago, Serendipity said:

I love reading all this stuff about precious metals. One interesting fact that I’ve recently discovered about another precious, silver, is that if you place an ice cube on a silver coin or bar, the ice will begin to melt immediately. Obviously, ice will melt if placed on anything at room temperature, for example, but if placed on silver it will melt much more quickly and impressively. This is because silver has the highest thermal conductivity, as compared to other metals. We all know that ice melts at room temperature, but when placed on a silver bar, it will melt at a faster pace. The silver will turn cold in a few seconds.

Yes it's cool learning the uses outside of coins. Love how silver turn up at the door straight off the post truck and when you unbox it it's ice cold from the journey 😄

That’s a superb infographic there @OneBlueSummer!

On 12/04/2020 at 22:27, Serendipity said:

Interesting fact about Pt and chemotherapy - cisplatin [Pt(NH3)2(Cl2)] was the first compound for anti cancer. Being square planar in geometry, it interferes with the DNA replication in cells by binding to either the major or minor grooves with the DNA helix. Once bound, the process of DNA replication is stopped and the cell then cannot multiply. When the cell detects it cannot replicate it then triggers apoptosis and dies. Takes me back to biochem-101 at Uni 🤔

The price to buying pure Pt powder (> 99.95%) from either Sigma Aldrich or Fisher is around £600 for 5g.

9 hours ago, C60 said:

That’s a superb infographic there @OneBlueSummer!

Interesting fact about Pt and chemotherapy - cisplatin [Pt(NH3)2(Cl2)] was the first compound for anti cancer. Being square planar in geometry, it interferes with the DNA replication in cells by binding to either the major or minor grooves with the DNA helix. Once bound, the process of DNA replication is stopped and the cell then cannot multiply. When the cell detects it cannot replicate it then triggers apoptosis and dies. Takes me back to biochem-101 at Uni 🤔

The price to buying pure Pt powder (> 99.95%) from either Sigma Aldrich or Fisher is around £600 for 5g.

Amazing!!! Thanks for that!

I find it interesting that we have a sudden interest in buying platinum. Is it simply because the price has dropped?

Cheap commodities are usually cheap for a reason; nobody wants them.

Platinum is simply an industrial commodity metal. It is rare, yes, and strictly speaking, precious.

It is a small supply and market.

38% diesel catalytic converters, 35% jewellery and the rest various.

So, it seems to me platinum is a speculative play on increased diesel vehicle production and use, increased jewellery use or some future new use.

I think we can rule out diesel. I also believe jewellery use has dropped and will continue to drop due to recession etc. Also, will people want platinum jewelley in future? I believe it only became popular because it was more expensive than gold, sort of a swanking situation.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

9 hours ago, ExUmbris said:

Does anyone know the best places to find platinum closer to spot? I am seeing a lot of nearly $200 and up premiums per ounce.

even on the many auction sites i go on daily i can not find platinum for less then $1000 a ounce for graded eagles. i guess all we can do is see if the price will come down this summer.  Jim

2 hours ago, blindguy said:

even on the many auction sites i go on daily i can not find platinum for less then $1000 a ounce for graded eagles. i guess all we can do is see if the price will come down this summer.  Jim

https://www.apmex.com/product/196120/2020-1-oz-platinum-american-eagle-bu

this is the best I have seen. I am trying to decide if it is worth buying one just to have. Even with the premium it is hundreds less than historic spot prices so may be good to have and hold. I am also new to all of this and may not know what I don't know.

On 20/04/2020 at 08:10, ExUmbris said:

https://www.apmex.com/product/196120/2020-1-oz-platinum-american-eagle-bu

this is the best I have seen. I am trying to decide if it is worth buying one just to have. Even with the premium it is hundreds less than historic spot prices so may be good to have and hold. I am also new to all of this and may not know what I don't know.

I've been getting mine from JM Bullion at slightly better prices.  I'm up to 2ozt, a Royal Arms which I think is a very underappreciated coin and an APE (American Platinum Eagle).  At these prices I'd go after some bars especially PAMP if they were available.

The real question is how much Pt to stack vs gold and silver.  

1 hour ago, Tattoedamat said:

A few that hold a fair bit recon 10% in stack is about right.

Personally I'm getting the entire queen's beasts set and that's me done on Platinum unless it drops and I stack a few bars to flip

Rookie question, we are talking 10% of stack by dollar value, not by weight, yes?

Archived