• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Platinum - a buy right now? Better than Gold?

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

If this topic already exists and I missed it, then apologies, it can be merged :) 

Platinum is currently at the time of writing roughly £678 ($876 USD) per oz
Gold is currently at the time of writing roughly £1281 ($1653 USD) per oz

On the 4th September 2019:
Platinum was roughly £802 ($977 USD)
Gold was roughly £1265 ($1538 USD)

If you go back further, 10 years, the difference between Platinum and Gold is much smaller. 

Is Platinum a better buy than Gold right now? In the UK there is 20% VAT on Platinum, but even with this, Platinum may be a better investment long term than Gold? 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I considered this a little while back as well and then went on the hunt for platinum coins. What I found was a whole lot of really stupidly absurd premiums almost like the bullion dealers refused to take the hit on the price falling. On paper it seems a good buy - in the real world where you can't seem to get anywhere near spot it isn't so much.

Royal Mint is doing 50% off on the 1/4 ounce Prince Charles coin which equates to £66 over spot. 

The thing with Platinum is it was used a lot in catalytic converters and the prices fell as demand has been steadily dropping. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

5 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Royal Mint is doing 50% off on the 1/4 ounce Prince Charles coin which equates to £66 over spot. 

The thing with Platinum is it was used a lot in catalytic converters and the prices fell as demand has been steadily dropping. 

That's right ILSIRD.  Catalytic converters in diesel vehicles, to be precise.  Guess what's happening to diesel vehicles these days?  They're all being banned in favour of small petrols and electrics.  There is the reason why the price is no longer going to da moon.  People holding it should be selling while the price is still relatively high, not buying :rolleyes:.

People are right, platinum demand is down because of the reduction in catalytic converters.  Thing is, platinum has pretty unique industrial properties so I'm betting that in the next 5 years there will be a new use we can't even picture now that will drive demand sky-high.

Gold is always going to be a better investment 

most dealers don’t have a buyback price for the platinum and not many/none to sell 

saying that i bought myself my first 1/4oz platinum from the royal mint with the %50 off

it’s exciting to buy something different now and then ..

I am building the Queen's Beast one ounce series in Platinum.
I held back a while when platinum prices rose considerably but since they have dropped recently I ordered a Yale from the European Mint.
Personally I believe Platinum is more precious than gold and either gold is overpriced or platinum is a bargain.
Industrial demand declined with the reduction in catalytic converters but it remains a precious metal and it's day may still come with hydrogen fuel cells so watch this space.
You've got to use the European Mint or GS.be to avoid the 20% UK VAT.

1 hour ago, Sovereign said:

Gold is always going to be a better investment 

most dealers don’t have a buyback price for the platinum and not many/none to sell 

saying that i bought myself my first 1/4oz platinum from the royal mint with the %50 off

it’s exciting to buy something different now and then ..

Most my sources readily buy and sell platinum. I think I have a couple pamp 1oz stashed away I bought at spot. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

I'm going to pick up the 1oz Platinum Royal Arms coin soon.  It will be my third 1oz Platinum UK coin, I already have the QB Lion and a 2018 Britannia.  
Once I've bought this one I don' think I will buy any more physical, but will continue to add to my ETF holdings that I've been buying every few months since August 2018.

I think Platinum's cheap and I can afford to wait for the hypothesis to bear fruit.

@Tattoedamat - buy the coin if you like it or if you think you can flip it for a profit.  Otherwise, pass.  I would pass.

Just got caught off guard as I don't watch the spot price that frequently.

Is this the time to get some nice one ounce Brits or Queen's Beast ?

1432640736_Screenshot2020-03-15at15_38_12.png.ed2319a053ebc6a33fd13c23afdde6b7.png

could well be an extremely excellent opportunity @PetePete as the underlying supply fundementals haven,t changed and this is just a drop through fear and panic IMHO

I personally will watch next 2 or 3 days as I think the "REAL PANIC" will be in tomorrow forward - then it (platinum) will be in severely OVERSOLD! bargain territory! 😉👍

Then just ride the next cycle!

Archived