• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hattons of London Brexit sovereign

Yorkshiremanc

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to collecting! I have started to build up a small collection and wanted some of your thoughts on a recent purchase.

I have purchased a four-sided 'Withdrawal From The EU' gold proof sovereign from Hattons of London for £799. Mintage of 311 (supposedly to Mark 31/1 as departure date). I know that proof coins are much more expensive than bullion, but I am wondering if this purchase is not going to retain much numismatic value? I'm aware Tristan De Cunha coins are sometimes seen less favourably, but I also wonder whether the low mintage mitigates this.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated! :D

Sorry not sure exactly what you purchased but based on the above info I doubt it will retain much of its numismatic value. The coins which may, are I believe the 50p withdrawal of the eu proof coins aswell as the sotd Sov. Even then it's not a given conclusion that it will hold or retain or even increase its numismatic value. 

Can you share a pic or the link ?

Hi Yorkshiremanc,

Welcome to the forum. This is just my opinion, so please don't take offence, but I would say that it isn't a great buy, and really won't be worth much more than spot on resell. 

The low mintage really doesn't mean anything if there is no demand for the coin. So, not being minted by a well known, established and reputable mint I don't see much desire for the coin. 

The Royal Mint Brexit sovereign sold for the same price, but has the backing and reputation of the Royal Mint.

If you have the option to return it I personally would. Then I'd just exchange it for normal bullion sovereigns.

As I said, just my opinion. I may be wrong.

5 hours ago, Stacker2020 said:

Hi Yorkshiremanc,

Welcome to the forum. This is just my opinion, so please don't take offence, but I would say that it isn't a great buy, and really won't be worth much more than spot on resell. 

The low mintage really doesn't mean anything if there is no demand for the coin. So, not being minted by a well known, established and reputable mint I don't see much desire for the coin. 

The Royal Mint Brexit sovereign sold for the same price, but has the backing and reputation of the Royal Mint.

If you have the option to return it I personally would. Then I'd just exchange it for normal bullion sovereigns.

As I said, just my opinion. I may be wrong.

Hi Stacker, no offence taken! Thanks very much for your thoughts. I have 60 days to return it so I have plenty of time.

If you can send it back and get your money back, do so. If you are interested in coins hang around here. If you are really interested join as a premium member. 

Looking at the website the coins if we should call them that are at least double the price of what a gold coin should be.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Honestly avoid companies like these - most their coins dont achieve much in secondary market and I often see them being melted down for scrap. Only proof UK coins you should buy are the ones issued by the Royal Mint IMHO. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

I think the best thing you can do is send it back as much as you can.

Such private mints are less attractive than coins like sovereigns or other famous gold coins produced by official mints and have a legal tender status associated with them. They can carry higher premiums over the spot price of Precious Metals, due to collectibility.  

Coins or better rounds like 'Withdrawal From The EU' gold proof sovereign from Hattons of London' are produced by private mints and do not have face value or legal tender status associated with them. The price for rounds often hovers near the spot price of Precious Metals.

26 minutes ago, Yorkshiremanc said:

Hi all, thanks very much for your thoughts. This is what my gut feeling was so glad to have had it sounded out with you all. I have requested to return the coin and will put the money towards another sovereign!

personally I'd buy 2 bullion sovereigns and a half and you'd still have £50 left over to treat the missus to a takeaway with. Win win ;)

Isn't this the same company/jokers who are currently touting the TDC 1/4 sov containing "authentic Georgian gold"? Wtf is that claim all about? Just an utter nonsense. Why not state the truth - containing "authentic 200 million year old gold"? Sounds a damn sight more impressive too. 

I would find it difficult to take seriously the word of some unknown pilgarlic banging on about the stability of our royal family and referring to George III as if Joe Public knows anything more than SFA about him.

All Wars Are Central Bankers' Wars

2 hours ago, GoldElliott said:

personally I'd buy 2 bullion sovereigns and a half and you'd still have £50 left over to treat the missus to a takeaway with. Win win ;)

I've started collecting from a collectors position, rather than to trade/invest in gold. As such I've decided I'd like to collect proof gold coins. I've started with the 2020 proof sov and have also bought an 1994 double proof, so think I might try get the 2012 or 2017 proof sov next. Unless you/others have advice as to which good coins might be nice to have from a collectors point of view? I'm wanting coins that look interesting, and also will retain their value when/if I come to sell :D

7 minutes ago, Yorkshiremanc said:

Unless you/others have advice as to which good coins might be nice to have from a collectors point of view? I'm wanting coins that look interesting, and also will retain their value when/if I come to sell :D

The good thing about collecting for your own enjoyment is that you can get what you want and you are less worried about PM price fluctuations. I think everyone wants to buy coins that are interesting and retain value! I am not that into numismatic sovereigns, however recently acquired my first shieldback sov (if that counts)... I'm sure there are plenty of people here very able and willing to guide you.

13 hours ago, GoldElliott said:

The good thing about collecting for your own enjoyment is that you can get what you want and you are less worried about PM price fluctuations. I think everyone wants to buy coins that are interesting and retain value! I am not that into numismatic sovereigns, however recently acquired my first shieldback sov (if that counts)... I'm sure there are plenty of people here very able and willing to guide you.

Thanks GodElliott, I feel much better having initiated the return of this coin now and am focussed on collecting what I'd like to collect!

Welcome to the forum. The 2002,2005 and 2012 are 3 fantastic interesting design sovs and look just awsome in half and full sov. I have one of each in half and the 2012 in full and they are outstanding in my opinion. All bought for great prices right here on the forum 😁

Highly recommend returning it...I know, don’t listen to the dumb@$$ that picked up a recent release of the 1937 Edward VIII gold Sovereign Proof replica...but please listen from experience...Please return it and pick up a Gold Sovereign. I am just truly enamored with the 2020 Gold Double Sovereign BU...it looks awesome with some good weight of valuable gold!!

• 2 months later...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174272872375

Hattons of London Brexit “Sovereign” for sale on eBay for £7300.

If you’ve got a moment have a look at the item description, it makes for very interesting reading.

I truly hope some poor unfortunate doesn’t end up going for this on the back of that nonsense. Don’t know if this seller has been taken for a ride or is just a chancer looking for a mark.

It’s just business but it really leaves a bad taste how Hattons of London and The London Mint Office generally seem to target their garbage coins at people who know no better / are vulnerable (I.e. the old sat at home watching daytime tv).

4 hours ago, Shep said:

At that price I’d want p&p included! 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

8 hours ago, Shep said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174272872375

If you’ve got a moment have a look at the item description, it makes for very interesting reading.

I truly hope some poor unfortunate doesn’t end up going for this on the back of that nonsense. Don’t know if this seller has been taken for a ride or is just a chancer looking for a mark.

It’s just business but it really leaves a bad taste how Hattons of London and The London Mint Office generally seem to target their garbage coins at people who know no better / are vulnerable (I.e. the old sat at home watching daytime tv).

Yuck, that item description... awful selling approach. Imagine listing this three hundred quid coin for over 7 grand and not being able to even add a decent picture of the coin... 😏

I have a sovereign set from Hattons of London, it was bought for me as a gift by a family member.

Whilst I was very happy to receive the gift, I was shocked at what they had paid. £1000 plus delivery for a set containing a full / half / quarter sovereign. They are not even circular for god's sake.

Melt value of around £500 at time of purchase, ouch.

Stacker since 2013

On 02/03/2020 at 08:25, Yorkshiremanc said:

days

On 01/03/2020 at 23:43, Yorkshiremanc said:

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to collecting! I have started to build up a small collection and wanted some of your thoughts on a recent purchase.

I have purchased a four-sided 'Withdrawal From The EU' gold proof sovereign from Hattons of London for £799. Mintage of 311 (supposedly to Mark 31/1 as departure date). I know that proof coins are much more expensive than bullion, but I am wondering if this purchase is not going to retain much numismatic value? I'm aware Tristan De Cunha coins are sometimes seen less favourably, but I also wonder whether the low mintage mitigates this.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated! :D

I would return it. From personal experience. 

Enjoy collecting the coins that you are interested in but it is a good idea to keep in mind their realistic financial value so you can make informed decisions. My last two purchases one I had been after for a while was a bit over priced but exactly what I was looking for, the other similar but at below typical market prices. 

Archived