• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

the problem with selling silver, gold in the united states

blindguy
Message added by ChrisSilver

The majority of states do not have any tax for selling silver or gold.

We have added a pinned reference guide topic in the USA & Canada trade section to provide USA members with some useful info. Should you feel that any important information should be added please PM either @ChrisSilver or a Moderator. 

Please see: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/29150-tax-on-selling-silver-in-the-usa/

May also be useful to update the topic with applicable tax rates (depending on how complex that is.

i talked with my CPA about selling coins on the forum. the problem is that in the united states some states, not all have state and local sales tax on all sales of silver, gold and all coins. this tax applies to private sales as well as non private sales. in my state of south dakota we do not have sales tax on coins and PM's but a state like Washington state does so if i sell to some one who lives in Washington state I must collect the sales tax and send the tax to Washington state. now for the people who live in Washington state who sell to some one in South Dakota no tax is collected because south dakota has no sales tax on coins and PM's. This makes the seller of coins and PM's has to keep track of what the sales tax is in all 50 states. you also must keep track of what  the tax is in the city you are selling to. And yes i have some people will say just do not report the sale. to those people I do not break the law. wrong is wrong period.  Ebay does collect the sales tax for you when you sell on ebay and sends the tax to each state for you.  the tax is also why people drive from other states who have sales tax on PM's to states like mine who have no sales tax to buy their gold and silver.  selling on the forum works in the UK it does not work well in the United States.  Jim

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@blindguy - I was aware this was a problem with the different taxes in different states but had no idea that applied to second hand sales as well - seems pretty crazy that they can collect sales tax on the same goods over and over again. Seems like quite a minefield to have to wade through and I can understand how it would put people off.

So if I lived in a taxable state and brought a coin from you in no tax state, would i be libable for tax once it crossed statelines or once I brought it? Wondering how many store in no tax states to get round it.

Like you said very difficult to.keep tabs on unless selling via eBay where it automatically detects tax.  Either way betting not US tax is as bad as the 20% vat we have to pay in UK on any nongold PM

2 minutes ago, SilverPirate007 said:

I’m planning on visiting the US this year and I plan on ordering 20kg of silver to my rented apartment. Does this mean I pay US tax?

I'm thinking you would pay import duty and vat when you bring it back into the country?

" wrong is wrong period"   Thats true but that works both ways. Just because a govt. passes a law does not mean it is right. Abortion is legal, does that make it ok to murder a child?

No, it doesnt. What is wrong is the taxation of what our constitution calls money, gold and silver, moreover which is written and directed towards the states. It is not legal or moral to tax money, period. But they still do it. Do you pay federal capital gains tax on each and every sale you have made, that has appreciated in value, over the long course of your buying and selling carreer? Have you ever exceeded the posted speed limit? Have you ever rolled through a stop sign?

"For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Heres an example:  I make $500 on a job I worked. At the end of the week I pay federal and state tax. I take the remaining $420 and buy a snowblower, at the point of sale I am taxed again. 4 years later, I sell the snowblower(which has depriciated in value) and I am taxed again. If a person follows the letter of the laws as wrritten will in no way have enough money to feed and care for his family. Which is more important? To pay taxes or to feed your family?  So over the life of the snowblower I have paid roughly $140 in taxes on my income and purchases and sales. The depriciation of the SB has brought the value to $150.00 so in the end my initial $500 is now worth $210.  Now I take that $210 and buy clothes and food for my children, and now I am taxed again for my purchases but because of the tax I can only afford one shoe and half a loaf of bread for little Johnny because $210 is all I have and figuring in the sales tax I can only buy so much. Now little Johnny outgrows his shoe and I sell it, then I am taxed again... Please tell me how that is right, since wrong is wrong. I am not trying to give the OP a hard time I am just making a point...

Just because a corrupt politician passes a law, does not make it "right" or moral...

1 hour ago, SilverPirate007 said:

I’m planning on visiting the US this year and I plan on ordering 20kg of silver to my rented apartment. Does this mean I pay US tax?

depends on what state you are in. i know when i use to put on coin shows i would have people drive up to 6 hours or more to buy coins and PM's

you will like this. in Minnesota clothes are tax exempt so people who  live close to the minnesota state line in Wisconsin drive to Minnesota to shop. In wisconsin food at the grocery store is tax exempt so people from minnesota drive to Wisconsin to buy grocery's

17 minutes ago, blindguy said:

you will like this. in Minnesota clothes are tax exempt so people who  live close to the minnesota state line in Wisconsin drive to Minnesota to shop. In wisconsin food at the grocery store is tax exempt so people from minnesota drive to Wisconsin to buy grocery's

Can take that a step further. I grew up in Southern Ontario where it was (and I imagine still is) very popular for people in border towns to cross down in to the US to fill their cars with fuel and buy things that were much cheaper like cigarettes. If you can save a couple bucks...

40 minutes ago, blindguy said:

depends on what state you are in. i know when i use to put on coin shows i would have people drive up to 6 hours or more to buy coins and PM's

Did you advise them that they're breaking the law by coming to a no sales tax state to purchase in order to avoid the tax otherwise collected by their home state? Do you know or have any information of family/friends that have purchased PMs in your state to avoid the tax in their state? Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

27 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

Did you advise them that they're breaking the law by coming to a no sales tax state to purchase in order to avoid the tax otherwise collected by their home state? Do you know or have any information of family/friends that have purchased PMs in your state to avoid the tax in their state? Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

How is it breaking the law? Shopping across state lines?

Archived