• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bit of fun...if you had £10k...

Tattoedamat

This is purely speculative and a bit of fun to see see where people's stacking strategies differ....

If you had £10,000 to invest in your stack what would you get?

For me right now would probably be b&s many 1-ounce gold Britania as I could the difference would probably be go on on smaller Britain's or sovereigns 

39 minutes ago, Tattoedamat said:

This is purely speculative and a bit of fun to see see where people's stacking strategies differ....

For me right now would probably be b&s many 1-ounce gold Britania as I could the difference would probably be go on on smaller Britain's or sovereigns 

One of the major misconceptions people have about gold and silver stackers/collectors is that you’ve got be a zillionaire to invest in precious metals. Nothing could be further from the truth. I’ve got more than £10,000 worth of gold and silver coins. In fact, I’ve got almost double that. I didn’t start out with a lump sum but accumulated my stack over a period of time by a process known as pound-cost averaging. It makes more sense to buy precious metals with fluctuating prices over time than all at once even if you had a lump sum.

7 hours ago, Tattoedamat said:

As many gold sovereigns as the funds would buy. :)   Are you about to go on a buying spree, Mat ? ;)

I would commission a 1kg bar from backyard bullion and spend the rest on sovs (probably purchasing them over a year or two to average the spot price). Oh and no doubt pick up a few premium silver coins that catch my eye along the way. 

Wanted: 2006 1oz and 1/4 oz Gold Year of the Dog coins from the Perth Mint

With the gold / silver ratio as high as it is right now I would stay clear of gold with a £10k lump sum.
Probably buy 1 oz silver coins after surveying the market for the best deals ( low VAT European Mint or GS.be ).
Get quality like Perth Mint stuff if only marginally more expensive than the mass produced, scuffed & dinged stuff.
Maybe Amercian Silver Eagles as they seem to always look good and don't mark as easily - Monster Box ?

If bulk storage is an issue then grab Platinum coins before we will all have to pay 20% VAT post Brexit.
Platinum is cheap compared to gold and in theory should be higher whilst the masters of the PM Universe are playing games.
If hydrogen fuel cells get into volume cars as an alternative to battery powered, Pt will rocket.

The gold /silver ratio is meaningless.  It's hasn't had any relevance since the late 1800s.  Silver has been an industrial metal pretty much every since and gold has remained a precious metal/store of wealth.  The two are no longer interlinked so all this talk of gold going up must mean silver will follow is nonsense.  The prices of each do their own thing individually.

Me personally 50% platinum 25% gold 25% silver all British 

Why platinum? 2035 petrol diesel ban on vehicles, these hydrogen cars which need fuel cells and fuel cells need platinum, 

I think hydrogen vehicles will attract alot more people over electric only vehicles 

No waiting times to charge, no need to have off street parking or a fancy driveway to park and charge overnight, no range anxiety, no struggling to get onto a charge point in supermarket car parks etc 

Simply fill up with hydrogen and go, i think platinum will explode in price once we near the ban of 2035. 

For my mythical £10k at today's prices I would probably buysomething like this:

3 x 1 oz gold coins (call it £3800)

2 x 1 oz platinum coins (call it £2000)

5 x 10 oz silver bars (call it £1000)

and then put £2000 in a Platinum ETF and the balance in a Silver ETF.

Archived