• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold or Silver Rat?

20JMK20

Having read a thread on here which indicates RM Gold coins are of recent times overpriced, I wonder what would be a better investment in the long term in regards to purchasing either;

Lunar Year of the Rat 2020 United Kingdom Five-Ounce Silver Proof priced @ £420, OR the Lunar Year of the Rat 2020 United Kingdom Quarter-Ounce Gold Proof Coin priced @ £510.

I do rather like the design (and I am one fussy mare), ha. 

39 minutes ago, 20JMK20 said:

Having read a thread on here which indicates RM Gold coins are of recent times overpriced, I wonder what would be a better investment in the long term in regards to purchasing either;

Lunar Year of the Rat 2020 United Kingdom Five-Ounce Silver Proof priced @ £420, OR the Lunar Year of the Rat 2020 United Kingdom Quarter-Ounce Gold Proof Coin priced @ £510.

Personally i rather have the aussie lunar series more people looking for them though in the UK theres a lot of people looking for RM coins and on Ebay you can find coins for the craziest numbers. I cant really get you a good advice. One thing is for sure most of the people buy Gold and after that comes silver but thats mostly spot priced stuff :P;) 

I was tempted by the silver proof as my son was born in the year of the Rat, but I opted for the bullion coin instead. Pretty happy with it. I didn’t feel it was that good to spend the extra cash on the proof version. Especially as there are better lunar series about. 

Id say if you like it buy it for that reason! 

Thank you for the replies so far guys :) Going to show my newbie-ness here now, ha; What is the difference between 'Proof' and 'Bullion' @trp?

Actually I stumbled across the Australian Opal Lunar Series - 2020 Year of the Mouse 1oz Silver Proof Coin lastnight on perthmint. I do like the look of it, and something quirky and different. I do wonder if there are any special import taxes for Silver/Gold on top of import duties already due!?

A proof is a coin that’s struck more times than a regular one usually using a polishing die. There’s different grades for bullion, BU and proof. I think RM have a video about it @20JMK20  

I’ve ordered plenty from the Perth Mint and there aren’t any duties. Don’t quote me, but I think it’s something to do with them being collectables...I forget! Delivery is about the same as ordering from European Mint and in fact my last order came quicker! 

1 hour ago, 20JMK20 said:

I do wonder if there are any special import taxes for Silver/Gold on top of import duties already due!?

Only if you are purchasing direct form Perth mint!

Try putting out a "Wanted" note on here first - you'd be surprised!

or a re seller may even offer same thing at a lower cost than the mint itself

4 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

Oh, so there are extra duties on top of standard import duties to the UK from Australia due to product being metals? 

A ''Wanted'' note is a good idea. Note sure of the likelihood of someone on here wanting to sell a new 2020 coin. Maybe a re-seller as you say.

4 minutes ago, 20JMK20 said:

Oh, so there are extra duties on top of standard import duties to the UK from Australia due to product being metals? 

A ''Wanted'' note is a good idea. Note sure of the likelihood of someone on here wanting to sell a new 2020 coin. Maybe a re-seller as you say.

You'd be surprised! - Many when ordering will purchase several - on the basis that the shipping is more cost effective the more you get!

5 hours ago, 5huggy said:

I’ve never had to pay a bean in duty, I wonder why? Maybe if CANZUK takes off we’ll escape some of these duties. 

I'm new to collecting and I like both the RM and Perth Lunar series. Looking at some of the prices on ebay, the RM ones do seem to be *currently* reselling well. As I'm new, I am going to backdate the RM Lunar in more of a collection style (1 item per year). However, as the Perth Lunar series 3 has just started in 2020, I am contemplating getting multiples in 1oz silver bullion. 

As per OP, interested to hear thoughts on both lunar sets.  

@MikeOxlong @20JMK20 RM lunar series one of the worst IMHO closely followed by the Rwanda lunar series which was hyped up bigtime.

Perth mint is the one that has the biggest following & the new lunar 3 look pretty good so far. Just stick to plain bullion or proofs if you are concerned about future premiums. If I were you I would forget about the opal series,again unless you are particularly taken by them.In the future they will IMHO have little following.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

7 hours ago, 20JMK20 said:

Thank you for the replies so far guys :) Going to show my newbie-ness here now, ha; What is the difference between 'Proof' and 'Bullion' @trp?

Actually I stumbled across the Australian Opal Lunar Series - 2020 Year of the Mouse 1oz Silver Proof Coin lastnight on perthmint. I do like the look of it, and something quirky and different. I do wonder if there are any special import taxes for Silver/Gold on top of import duties already due!?

If you are in the UK and buy from aussie than you normally need to pay import taxes but sometimes a package slips through 😉😊

@20JMK20  As things are starting to go off tangent lol, in answer to your original post I'd go for the 1/4oz gold proof as against the 5oz oz silver. The main reasons being you have the intrinsic value of the gold coin & less chance of any spotting problems down the line which would destroy the premium on the silver coin.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

15 hours ago, 20JMK20 said:

I took the one ounce gold rat because she was smiling like a happy baby...

IMG_1930.thumb.JPG.d8146742e38b1d6a6a709da129434a9f.JPG

Archived