• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New London Hobby

20JMK20

Good afternoon fellow Silver forum Ladies and Gentlemen. Jim from London here. 

With my interest in collecting the recent released Brexit coins a new hobby is born. I did many many years ago have a similar hobby of collecting and selling on old vinyl and CD's, so have that collecting streak (stamps as a young boy) in me. And now to nurture my interest in collectible coins.

I did read some comments on a thread last night in regards to the Brexit coins, and they seemed pretty bleak in regards to mintage, design, etc, so it seems I have a lot to learn, which will make this new journey of mine all that more enjoyable. 

A few initial questions to start off with;

1. When we wish to sell, where is best to trade / Can we trade on this forum?
2. What would you consider to be a 'low' Mintage? 
3. Aside from Royal Mint, where are the best most reputable places to purchase?
4. How long is it generally when we are able to know of a new coin / coin range becoming available? 

I think that is enough questions for now. Exciting times :) 

Hello Jim, welcome to the forum! :)

The forum has a very active buying and selling community. I’d definitely recommend a subscription to take advantage of both. There are great deals here and some really nice people to trade with. 

What’s considered a low mintage, I’d say personally will be different depending on what it is your looking at.

Places to buy, there are quite a few and if you look through the forum there is a list of dealers. Maybe a good place to start. 

If you sign up to the likes of the RM and add your preferences you’ll get teasers and notifications to when new products are released. 

21 hours ago, trp said:

Hello Jim, welcome to the forum! :)

The forum has a very active buying and selling community. I’d definitely recommend a subscription to take advantage of both. There are great deals here and some really nice people to trade with. 

What’s considered a low mintage, I’d say personally will be different depending on what it is your looking at.

Places to buy, there are quite a few and if you look through the forum there is a list of dealers. Maybe a good place to start. 

If you sign up to the likes of the RM and add your preferences you’ll get teasers and notifications to when new products are released. 

In regards to 'Mintage' @trp, coins that so far interest me are;

- Silver Piedfort.
- Royal related.
- Gold Proof if they really catch my attention with Mintage / Coin Design / Packaging 

- Quirky ranges like 'The Snowman 2018' for example (Silver Proof being 15,000). Quite a difference to 'Remembrance Day 2019 Silver Proof Piedfort' with a Mintage of 775. Then there is 'Paddington at the Palace 2018 Silver Proof' with what seems like an insanely high Mintage of 60,000. Shame, because I like the bold colours set against the Silver. The presentation box with a Mintage of 3000 seems much more like a worthwhile investment (although I might want to always keep it), ha. 

Of course I have now come across 'The Coin Connection'. Already on the Royal Mint, got my first delivery today, including the Gold Proof Brexit coin. Seems to be selling frequently on eBay for almost and in some cases double. Think I will hold onto mine. Certainly was an experience trying to get one (website crashing and the like).

The Silver Proof Brexit seems to have a very high Mintage of 47,000. Surprised to see that 95% reserved within 6 days of going on sale. I guess with Brexit being such a monumental situation, interest will much wider than usual.  

I have adjusted my Royal Mint preferences @trp. How long in advance do they usually tell the public of a new range?  

Subscription on here seems like a good idea. Thank you for the pointer :) 

Jim.

@20JMK20, Mintages can be an odd one. Even a low mintage can be too high if people aren’t interested in the subject matter. The way they work out the Mintages is beyond me, some things seem ridiculously high and others really low. 

Some things are obviously always going to be more popular than others - but if you like something it doesn’t matter much! 

Seems like you know what you like and what you want to do, which is always half the battle.

I recently got a notification about The James Bond coins and some which I presume are dinosaur related which are connected with the National History Museum. Usually things are released within a couple of weeks. 

@20JMK20 - I , on behalf of FORUM members , have an active tussle in the form of a "FREEDOM of INFORMATION" request ongoing over mintage figures

Specifically over the 10 ounce "VALIANT" figures - However I am looking to pressure the RM over being MORE TRANSPARENT as are the Perth Mint!

STAY tuned - to the forum for Updates from me 

1 hour ago, 20JMK20 said:

Subscription on here seems like a good idea. Thank you for the pointer :) 

Absolutely if you want to get some of the best deals, from some of the best people - Then "REALLY JOINING UP" IMHO is a NO BRAINER!!

BTW!

Welcome aboard TSF  - best place to be, for knowledge , advice and fun in the PM world

well done thumbs up GIF by Minions

• Founder & Administrator

Hello and welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

@20JMK20 Welcome to TSF, for your questions.....have a nose about the forum and you'll get an idea for your answers.

My take/opinions is below in blue:

1. When we wish to sell, where is best to trade / Can we trade on this forum?
Yes, for sure, this is in face one of the main reasons for me joining.

2. What would you consider to be a 'low' Mintage? 
500 or less on speciality coins (like the one in my profile pic)

3. Aside from Royal Mint, where are the best most reputable places to purchase?
Firstly, here on the forum (you'd want to grab a subscription ideally) there are regular group orders being made by @BackyardBullion from the European Mint (europeanmint.com)
also many reputable dealers are also part of this forum.
I've also personally used, Silver-to-go / First Coin Company / Power Coin / HotCo / Bullion By Post, with no issues (however this was all prior to finding out about this forum 🙂

4. How long is it generally when we are able to know of a new coin / coin range becoming available? 

You need to sign up to dealer newsletters and keep an eye out on this forum as well as check collectors etc.. on YouTube

Archived