• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver bar shortage

Bimetallic

Hello all — Last summer I noticed that there were very few silver bars available in North America, especially the ones I wanted. Britannia bars were gone, as were Royal Canadian Mint, Perth Mint, and even Sunshine Minting in most cases. I was looking mostly at 1 and 10 ounce sizes.

I figured the new year would bring new stock, but I'm still not seeing any of the above. Silver bar inventory is nearly bone dry at the major North American dealers, reduced to some off-brand private mints (and PAMP bars selling for 100% over spot...)

Does anyone know why this is? Are Britannia, RCM, and Perth bars still in production?

If you know where they're on sale at normal prices, that would be awesome too. I've mostly looked at Silver.com, SD Bullion, and Gainesville Coins, where prices tend to be lowest.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Bimetallic said:

RCM, Britannia, RCM, and Perth bars

Silvergoldbull.com seem to have plenty of inventory for them and they ship to N.A. Same with Apmex - they seem to have plenty of inventory.  They issue is that most the suppliers you looking at keep their inventory as close to spot as possible, but charge for shipping. Apmex offer free shipping so you got to balance the two out. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

What are you smoking over there??????   JM bullion has 290 10oz. RCM bars in stock. I also added 2000 other 10 oz. bars to my cart and they still had plenty left over. They also have 209 of the 10 oz British Silver Britannia Bar (New) in stock... The prices look normal to me and I have been buying from them for over 5 years now. Since JMB has so much stock theres no need to look any further and your OP has ZERO merit...

" PAMP bars selling for 100% over spot"  What does that even mean????  Looks like they are going for $1.09 over spot.

https://www.jmbullion.com/100-oz-pamp-suisse-silver-bar-cast/

Pamps lunar packaged bars have ALWAYS BEEN WAY OVERPRICED...

108 sushine bars IN STOCK... https://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-sunshine-silver-bar/

Silver.com is owned by JM bullion and their stock is one and the same...

6 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Silvergoldbull.com seem to have plenty of inventory for them and they ship to N.A. Same with Apmex - they seem to have plenty of inventory.  They issue is that most the suppliers you looking at keep their inventory as close to spot as possible, but charge for shipping. Apmex offer free shipping so you got to balance the two out. 

APMEX's free shipping is the same as SD Bullion -- free over $99. But APMEX charges far too much to be competitive -- they're about the most expensive option in North America. If you buy from APMEX, you're losing money.

Neither APMEX or Silver Gold Bull has the items I mentioned in stock, except for Perth bars, so again I don't know what you're talking about. I'm looking at 1 oz bars. APMEX's inventory is mostly their own house bars and the off-brands I mentioned. Silver Gold Bull has almost nothing in 1 oz silver bars.

5 hours ago, STONE said:

" PAMP bars selling for 100% over spot"  What does that even mean????  Looks like they are going for $1.09 over spot.

https://www.jmbullion.com/100-oz-pamp-suisse-silver-bar-cast/

Pamps lunar packaged bars have ALWAYS BEEN WAY OVERPRICED...

108 sushine bars IN STOCK... https://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-sunshine-silver-bar/

Silver.com is owned by JM bullion and their stock is one and the same...

It means 100% over spot. You linked to a 100 oz bar. I explicitly referred to 1 and 10 oz bars. https://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-pamp-suisse-lunar-dragon-silver-bar/

5 hours ago, STONE said:

What are you smoking over there??????   JM bullion has 290 10oz. RCM bars in stock. I also added 2000 other 10 oz. bars to my cart and they still had plenty left over. They also have 209 of the 10 oz British Silver Britannia Bar (New) in stock... The prices look normal to me and I have been buying from them for over 5 years now. Since JMB has so much stock theres no need to look any further and your OP has ZERO merit...

JM Bullion looks good. There's definitely a bar shortage market wide, though JMB looks like they've got lots of 10 oz bars. They don't have the 1 oz, and no one else has the 10 oz stock they have, not even their subsidiary Silver.com.

You complained about premiums but yet you buy one ounce bars?? Those have the worst markups.The 100 ounce bars are much nicer anyways. The kilo bars are beautiful. Go to golden state mint, their one ounce bars are on sale...

5 hours ago, Bimetallic said:

APMEX's free shipping is the same as SD Bullion -- free over $99. But APMEX charges far too much to be competitive -- they're about the most expensive option in North America. If you buy from APMEX, you're losing money.

Neither APMEX or Silver Gold Bull has the items I mentioned in stock, except for Perth bars, so again I don't know what you're talking about. I'm looking at 1 oz bars. APMEX's inventory is mostly their own house bars and the off-brands I mentioned. Silver Gold Bull has almost nothing in 1 oz silver bars.

You said you were looking at both 1 and 10oz sizes. There are NO Britannia bars at 1 oz so the 10oz are plenty in stock. As are the other 10oz. 

JMBullion and SDbullion both have plenty of RMC 1 oz bars.  As does Silver.com. 

I am just not sure whether you are being serious or just not looking hard enough bud. Not trying to be rude, just trying to help. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

To the OP point There is definitely shortage in quality ( soon it will be  in ANY )  physical silver  rounds or bars !!!

For example Sunshine rounds , they back on market but recently i was having hard time to find any of them 

Even Apmex and JMB have them  back  in store today the prices are not near spot as it was last year , - be ready to pay ALMOST ~2$ OVER SPOT 19.49 on Apmex)  

I see NOTHING "normal" when 2020 Silver Panda is selling for $32 today when it was $23-25 before 

Something is going on in this word gents so who ever think everything is normal all i can say is this :

BE READY 

5 hours ago, SilverGameOfThrones said:

To the OP point There is definitely shortage in quality ( soon it will be  in ANY )  physical silver  rounds or bars !!!

For example Sunshine rounds , they back on market but recently i was having hard time to find any of them 

Even Apmex and JMB have them  back  in store today the prices are not near spot as it was last year , - be ready to pay ALMOST ~2$ OVER SPOT 19.49 on Apmex)  

I see NOTHING "normal" when 2020 Silver Panda is selling for $32 today when it was $23-25 before 

Something is going on in this word gents so who ever think everything is normal all i can say is this :

BE READY 

Now you see the problem us brits have with vat tax. spot might be low but add 20% to the spot price then anything from 10%-20% premium your looking at £18-£19 (23-25usd)per oz and anything lower and you got a bargain 

On 05/02/2020 at 20:18, ilovesilverireallydo said:

You said you were looking at both 1 and 10oz sizes. There are NO Britannia bars at 1 oz so the 10oz are plenty in stock. As are the other 10oz. 

JMBullion and SDbullion both have plenty of RMC 1 oz bars.  As does Silver.com. 

I am just not sure whether you are being serious or just not looking hard enough bud. Not trying to be rude, just trying to help. 

You might be confusing RCM with RMC. There are no 1 oz RCM bars at the dealers you claimed. RCM is the Royal Canadian Mint. RMC is Republic Metals Corporation, a now failed company. I don't want RMC bars.

Archived