• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 10,000+ forum members. 

Sign in to follow this  
danmc82

Stencil Making (Solved - Come Look And See) Britannia Logo on Universal Coin Box

I want to make a Britannia Stencil and use as a template for spray paint.

If I find a picture off the web, whats the next step as opposed to just printing it on paper.

It'll only be used once so would paper be good enough? Will be spraying paint onto wood.

I've seen some on a site which are slightly too big + they want nearly £20 for it.

I also got a quote from a custom stencil company. £40 they wanted 😮

Edited by danmc82

Ideally you load a photo on to a CO2 laser printer and cut a sheet of plastic.
You can enlarge a high res. image and print on to paper and carefully cut out the profile with a scalpel.
Ideally you need to stick the stencil to the wood.
Any tiny gaps means the spray paint will get underneath and give a smudged look rather than clean edges.
Try strips of double sided tape covering all the paper before you cut it.

Well I had a member on here contact me after posting this thread. @Rincewind2016 was very helpfull and luckily is quite skilled when it comes to Stencil making.

I sent him the template I was after and what sizes I required.

I've had a go using it on the box with ok results. Im not the best when it comes to art 😁

First off, the plain box bought from @morezone

20200129_162504.thumb.jpg.b56afe9af1972f79401b6b38f0de2381.jpg

Then I positioned the Stencil like so...

20200129_162643.thumb.jpg.4ef0341f6c193c005c0c530df749ae46.jpg

I bought a Gold Spray paint as that seems to be the colour of choice when it comes to coin box presentation. It does stand out pretty well IMO...

20200131_175144.thumb.jpg.56696ac58a2a1f6aa11c4a6df763911f.jpg

My next job is to let it sit for 24 hours. Give it a very light sand using 500-700 grit sandpaper, then to give a couple of coats of clear lacquer.

There is some slight paint bleed on the shield, but I'm hoping the sanding will remove most of it.

Sign in to follow this  

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use