• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Authentification help needed !

Heliopolis

Hello,
A seller presented these coins to me a  lebanon 1933 and 1929 50 piastres. 

Im a bit worried these coins are quite rare lots of fake available in the market do you think they are authentic ?
Made from silver they are too bright for 90 years coin do you think there are cleaned ?.and if yes how much the lose value? 

what grade do you give them? 

20200123_162303.jpg

20200123_162329.jpg

20200123_162432.jpg

20200123_162443.jpg

They do not look minted - they look as if cast. My view is they look like fakes.

See what others say.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

8 minutes ago, Stacker2020 said:

I'd say fake. The 'S' at the end of piastres is wonky as hell. Nothing like the middle 's'.

It looks that the S is the same when compared to the one on ngs. I dont know 

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/lebanon-50-piastres-km-8-1929-1936-cuid-1126385-duid-1437989

7 minutes ago, Fathallazf said:

It looks that the S is the same when compared to the one on ngs. I dont know 

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/lebanon-50-piastres-km-8-1929-1936-cuid-1126385-duid-1437989

i disagree - the image on https://www.ngccoin.com/ show a much more sharply defined coin face - look at the foliage on the tree - as i say i am suspicious these are not mint and have been cast.

98814f.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

20 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i disagree - the image on https://www.ngccoin.com/ show a much more sharply defined coin face - look at the foliage on the tree - as i say i am suspicious these are not mint and have been cast.

98814f.jpg

Omg yes its so obvious now! Thanks @sixgun my eyes went straight to the S 😅. Its late in here and i am sleepy pardon me. 

Hi Heliopolis

Would be great to know what the eventual findings are.  I think elements look indistinct which could be the coins having had a hard life...but the things that caused me to raise an eyebrow are:

(1) It appears to my humble eye that the two sides of the coins are worn differently. The tree looks to have been hammered whereas the horns full of fruit and their Arabic appears not to be in bad condition

(2) The toothed border looks pretty indistinct in a number of places, with what may be indications of casting.  I can’t see the fields clearly enough but have a look for bubble holes - a dead give away.

I am not as convinced by the S issue as others above as the letting on known examples is similar - well to my eye at least. 

All the best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

• 2 weeks later...

The S is slightly different at the end iirc.

Here I found a pic that shows it

as for the tree being smooth I think it's quite possible it's just badly worn.

Just looked at the numista pic and it is the same.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces8587.html

I seem to recall some of these I have also having worn foliage.  Given they were fairly cheap coins, weighed correctly and had the correct dimensions I didn't examine them further.

the 36 might be gvf/ef

the other gf(tree side)/gvf

I have no idea if the coin in question is real or a fake, however the number of threads I've come across on this forum asking for help to authenticate whether or not a piece of silver, be it a bar or coin is real has me asking myself isn't there a company, and I don't mean the coin grading companies, that can authenticate your purchase for you. I know that professional authenticators exist for everything from furniture, cars, pottery, art, guitars and even alcohol - for a laugh look into the fake Moet champagne scandal fake Moet champagne being sold in genuine unused Moet bottles and who supplied the counterfeiters with the genuine Moet bottles, surely there must be something for coins, and I don't just mean to authenticate that it's made of silver or it's silver content, but the actual coin, a service that would be able to tell you if what you have is an ''original'' or a restrike/copy/fake?

Professor Google informs me that the Royal Mint offer this service, though it's only available for pre decimal British coins - basically coins from the stone age (pre 1971).

Archived