• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sentry safes and moisture

Milby

I bought a cheap sentry safe today.  I just felt like I needed something now until I can afford a really good one.  I don’t have much to protect yet.  It is air tight with plastic liner.  I’m finding out now There seems to be a lot of bad reviews saying that mold forms inside.  I have two of those moisture absorbing packs inside it.  Is this a problem with all safes? 

All air-tight safes could have moisture problems.  I guess it depends on your local environment. Air will be trapped inside the safe. If the air is moist enough it could start mould growing. How often would you open the safe and for how long would the door be open (opening the safe will allow air to change)? A couple of packs of desiccant, or a glass of rice or baking powder will all absorb moisture.

I don't know the brand Sentry but I have a proper safe and had no mould but one time I noticed the capsules were moist on their outer side when I had forgotten to change the dehumidifier. It doesn't matter if it's a cheap safe or not, you need to put something in that absorbes the moisture, certainly when you live in the UK. Maybe in the desert of Arizona it's a different story but I assume in Missouri it is something that needs to be dealt with. I had electric rechargable ones but they are bad, at least the model I used, so now I have the ones from Poundland (thus for one £) with a kind of salt crystals that turn into liquid, eventually. You see when it's at the end of its life cycle and you can flush the liquid down the toilet.

image.thumb.png.9b6e70178892e969391f51a0d8068e23.png

ive been going over the same problem 

i think chris silver had the best solution on a earlier thread...i found these but check for better prices  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-Gram-Aluminum-Canister-of-Silica-Gel-Protects-3-Cubic-Feet-Of-Space/191633107550

these are reusable , once the indicator has changed colour , pop them in the oven then reuse !!! genius 

1 minute ago, Ranks1970 said:

I was thinking do these work 

9B131969-642E-4F55-821F-09E257779D6D.jpeg

these work perfectly but are not reusable , be careful who you tell that your using theses or you might find greta thunberg on your door step !!!

13 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

You see when it's at the end of its life cycle and you can flush the liquid down the toilet.

4 hours ago, magpie79 said:

be careful who you tell that your using theses or you might find greta thunberg on your door step !!!

In this case, just flush fairy tail Greta down the toilet, too!

3 hours ago, 5huggy said:

I was advised by a CHUBB Expert (30 years industry experience) That CHUBB are the best and use 2 key lock types - 

Bert wert duz eye NO!??

A safe which requires a key and has a combination lock are also supposed to be good. So I've read.

21 hours ago, mr-dead said:

seems sentry safes are great unless your burglar has a coat hanger.

@Milby I think the best way to get something out of your purchase of this unsafe safe, if it is that one, is to hide your PMs elsewhere, really well and put some fake jewelry in your safe so that burglars piss off with them and stop looking for well hidden valuables. 

5 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

@Milby I think the best way to get something out of your purchase of this unsafe safe, if it is that one, is to hide your PMs elsewhere, really well and put some fake jewelry in your safe so that burglars piss off with them and stop looking for well hidden valuables. 

TOTALLY RIGHT approach - called a decoy!! 

Bert wert duz eye NO!  🤐

Archived