• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Joey

PercyItsGreen

Started arranging my odd threepence coins in order, looking to expand the current fragmented range I have already. Any advice on putting a half decent collection together at a good price? Any knowledge or advice would be appreciated as these disappeared well before I was born....

Dodeca-what? That's my new word for today.... 15 sided?  Excuse my ignorance of geometry:) Mostly 925 silver ones 1880ish onwards. Have a few .500 and brass ones too. Not too bothered about condition to begin with, just want to fill some gaps. What is a realistic date range to aim for without breaking the bank?

A Joey was the slang word for the silver fourpenny coin, also called a groat. (Later in the 1900s, the term Joey came to refer to the thrupenny bit, instead.) It is thought that the term “Joey” was originally derisively named after the Scottish physician and politician Joseph Hume who had promoted the revised use of the silver groat in the 1830s for general circulation. This was to prevent London horse-driven cab drivers from pretending not to have the exact change, hoping to extract a bigger tip. It is believed that drivers started the use of the term “Joey” as a derogatory reference to the fourpence. 

Plus ça change...

All Wars Are Central Bankers' Wars

Archived