• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Accessories for Beginners

SilverSlugger

• Founder & Administrator
12 minutes ago, SilverSlugger said:

What type of gloves are best?

I believe that they are 100% cotton gloves.

13 minutes ago, SilverSlugger said:

Should I get a magnifying glass or any other accessories to help me that I'll use often?

Some people like to get a loop, something like the ones found here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=loop+magnifying+glass&crid=2BO8KCI4YW22O&sprefix=loop+mag%2Caps%2C134&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8 I just enjoy by eye, but I can see the advantage of having a magnifying loop for the smaller coins (especially gold fractional and fractional proofs)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used mainly for sever status updates)

Billysilver's Detailed Trading Guide - great info and tips for new members trading on the forum. 

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

You are best to find your local coin shop and they will probably have your beginner stuff in stock or at least know where you can get them, I have a usb microscope as I collect old coins and check for damage and rare errors, gloves are a must if your dealing with old and especially mint state coins, a jewelers loop can help but I find a battery light magnifying glass suffices, get a nice velvet piece of cloth so you can study your coin and if it drops it hits velvet and not granite,wood etc which can damage a coin, slightly but damage none the less, also if your coins come in those cheap plastic folders then change them out to rigid so two by two windowed holders,those cheap plastic things can leave greens lime on your coins if left there long enough.

coingallery.co.uk is a pretty good place for supplies. Used them a few times. Delivery is always pretty speedy and at a reasonable price. They have things like capsules, gloves, cases and trays. They sell a bit of everything really, even pet stuff bizarrely! 

A rare earth magnet is invaluable for testing silver. Knowledge will be the best thing you can have, far surpasing accessories. Develope a plan and goals for stacking and dont just by random coins when they come out. Know what a fair premium over spot is. Only buy from reputable dealers or sellers that you know for sure are honest.

https://www.jmbullion.com/investing-guide/

https://www.free-bullion-investment-guide.com/

8 minutes ago, STONE said:

A rare earth magnet is invaluable for testing silver. Knowledge will be the best thing you can have, far surpasing accessories. 

Earth magnets are a must, mine are stuck to places I can’t even remember. Always a joy coming across them again! They are a great help though and a cost effective way of potentially saving money. 

My first purchase after gathering a few coins was a case to put them in- I use Leuchtturm (Lighthouse) Cargo ones. If you collect 1oz coins and keep them in capsules you'll need the trays divided into 12 or 24 (depending on whether you buy a small or large sized case) 47mm squares. It's a nice sight to open your case and see a full tray of interesting silver.

Archived