• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

which silver coin to buy for newbie?

silverados

Hi Silverados, I’d say that depends on what you are looking to achieve. If you are just looking to collect, focus on what interests you and what you think looks good, If price is important look for what coins you can get within your budget, or if you are wanting to try and invest/save etc...there are so many reasons people buy silver. If you know or can figure out your reason it’s easier to answer 😆 

There are a lot of good deals that pop up on this forum. 

When I first started I just bought what I liked the look of, Canadian Maples, Britannia’s, APMEX rounds, ASE and Australian Roos. My head is easily turned by shiny things so I ended up with all sorts! 

41 minutes ago, silverados said:

Hello Silver Forum!

Thank you just wanna ask which silver coin for newbie to start? 

Thank in advance!!!

Silverados

Best advise I can give to a newbie. Consider to whom you will be selling when the time comes.

80% of my silver is 1 oz maples leaf, because I can easily sell them back to my dealer for a good price.

20% of my silver is slightly higher premium silver, which I will eventually sell to buy more maples.

Don't get stuck with too much high premium stuff for which a dealer will not give you a good price.

Hi Silverados! As trp said, it really depends on what you like, what your budget is and if you want to collect coins or stack them. Also consider if you want to sell them later. There are many beautiful coins on the market and once you start, your collection will probably grow. 😉 My first coin was the Dragon and Tiger from the Perth Mint and I chose it simply because I liked the design. This is by no means a recommendation, just saying how I got into collecting silver. 

As others have said, why are you buying silver coins? Is it to have something shiny or are you hoping to store you money?

If it's storing money then the new Canadian Maples have some nice security features, and as they are your country's government bullion I'd suggest it's a good place to start. Don't pay too much for them as they are bullion coins and really designed to be worth the silver content. 

Where you go from there is up to you, but be warned it can end up an expensive hobby if you develop a taste for something unusual or proof coins...

I like Canadian Maple Leaf coins as the premiums are a lot lower than others, especially American Silver Eagles, I just can't bring myself to buy ASEs because of the premiums.  That said, I mainly try to buy for silver content, a lot of my stack is generic and some junk silver, with the rest being lower premiums coins, with a couple of exceptions....

Archived