• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

Just received my Silver Una- it’s in the condition you would expect from the world renown Royal Mint-

scratched...

Similar condition to the 1oz Queen Silver Proof I received last Friday.

I’m speechless- and will open a book here on what condition the 1/4oz Queen Gold  I ordered arrives in: 

Odds on 1/3 Damaged

Evens- acceptable

33/1 Lost in the post

Want to bet? 

C2FC90AC-15E1-40A0-A740-6738108B6090.jpeg

41 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Just received my Silver Una- it’s in the condition you would expect from the world renown Royal Mint-

scratched...

I’m speechless- and will open a book here on what condition the 1/4oz Queen Gold  I ordered arrives in: 

Odds on 1/3 Damaged

Evens- acceptable

33/1 Lost in the post

Want to bet? 

I can understand your frustration and anger after such a long wait. How can RM does not take advantage of its past mistakes and start over eternally without any consideration, much to the discouragement of its clients.

I feel sorry for you 

1 hour ago, richatthecroft said:

scratched...

Odds on 1/3 Damaged

Evens- acceptable

33/1 Lost in the post

Want to bet? 

I bet your heart just sank, thats a real bummer 😠

6 minutes ago, wolfiemac said:

I bet your heart just sank, thats a real bummer 😠

Frustrating more than anything- just a hassle having to return it.

2 minutes ago, motorbikez said:

@richatthecroft  Ridiculous, RMs quality control is a joke, I'll bet that coin was a return.

I bet it was too!  

I ordered this over the telephone, rang on the off chance a week after the sell out as I dithered originally.  I had a feeling that what I eventually received would be substandard, and I suspect it would be a return- I'm starting to think it was.   

Same with the Queen 1oz Silver Proof- now I also dithered on this one- and ordered it a day after it sold out, again on the phone, along with the yet to be dispatched 1/4 oz Gold Proof.  

My guess is that the 1oz Queen Coin was a return, the scratches were much worse than on this Una, I wish I had taken photos. I sent it back for refund along with my postage costs of £7.40 SD Postage. 

I won't hold my breath for a Quality Controlled 1/4 Gold Proof.

Surely you would think they tire of paying out £7.50 for each return they receive back?  

2x Proof coins received from the RM in less than a week and 2x returns- what are the odds?

2 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

scratched...

Odds on 1/3 Damaged

Evens- acceptable

33/1 Lost in the post

Want to bet? 

C2FC90AC-15E1-40A0-A740-6738108B6090.jpeg

It’s literally unbelievable. How can they not know that’s going to get returned?! Amateurs 😥

Mine arrived today as well. Not quite sure if it’s a dud yet because I haven’t managed to get the damn capsule open. Had to head out but based on a quick look I’m concerned there may be a scratch below the M at the bottom and to the right of Una. I don’t think the marks are on the capsule, but I want to try puffing some air on it before concluding its a dud. 

68512776-6DDC-469C-836C-314109522897.thumb.jpeg.144831efd09874dfbe1bdae77fedf5be.jpeg

p.s. What lens did you use for that close ups? The detail looks stunning. 

27 minutes ago, Melon said:

Had to head out but based on a quick look I’m concerned there may be a scratch below the M at the bottom and to the right of Una.

Not sure- the photo isn’t too good! 

28 minutes ago, Melon said:

p.s. What lens did you use for that close ups? The detail looks stunning. 

It’s an ‘Oloclip lens’. Attached to an iPhone 6.  

Strange looking thingy that clips onto the phone- it is 4 in one- Macro x10 & x15, Wide Angle and Fish Eye- whatever that is.

I bought it in an eBay auction that ended in the dead of night for 99p & £4.48 postage! I felt sorry for the seller (for a second or two) as they retailed for around £75! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

46 minutes ago, Melon said:

It’s literally unbelievable.

46 minutes ago, Melon said:

p.s. What lens did you use for that close ups?

And to think you spent hours posting on the Korean 'lucky round' thread, (which you didn't seem to be interested in anyway), complaining time after time that the Mint had missed out an indefinite article (which was probably a stylistic choice anyway, on a product not intended for the English market in the first place)...🤣

:wacko:

Edited by kimchi

6 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Strange looking thingy that clips onto the phone- it is 4 in one- Macro x10 & x15, Wide Angle and Fish Eye- whatever that is.

I bought it in an eBay auction that ended in the dead of night for 99p & £4.48 postage! I felt sorry for the seller (for a second or two) as they retailed for around £75! 

Yikes - nice bargain! 

I was thinking you had one of these 😂

1.jpg.7160f73afa24e6999f530ddd3f5dcd6c.jpg

Added 0 minutes later...
12 minutes ago, kimchi said:

And to think you spent hours posting on the Korean 'lucky round' thread, (which you didn't seem to be interested in anyway), complaining time after time that the Mint had missed out an indefinite article (which was probably a stylistic choice anyway, on a product not intended for the English market in the first place)...🤣

:wacko:

I'm really not sure what this has to do with anything? 🤨

54 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have one for sale if anyone's interested, shipped from the US. For sale as I have two...

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

I got the capsule open 🤣

I think it's a lot better than the last one, but up close there's a few issues I think. I'm not 100% sure if it's debris or marks just off her right shoulder. I also think there's a mark above the Queens eye. My first proof.. what would people do? Shut up and enjoy it? Return it? Grade it and see what happens? Give up and move to Australia where they have a decent local mint? 😄

IMG_4275.thumb.JPG.6e2db8aa8c997906c729ca37815a2a53.JPG

IMG_4282.thumb.JPG.1212060a67a472e774d0274462dd4293.JPG

IMG_4284.thumb.JPG.bc3c171479b66ea73d2df9f6559a389d.JPG

Edited by Melon

9 hours ago, Melon said:

I think it's a lot better than the last one, but up close there's a few issues I think.

I would keep it-

I doubt you'll get a better one if you send it back...you might even get the one I'm returning...that would be something to look forward to...

A photo of mine can be found above

Edited by richatthecroft
Remove the photo I posted so as to give Melon clarity.

20 minutes ago, Oldun said:

Double for a scratched proof ? I very much doubt that.

I think @AndrewSL76 meant keep his- not mine in the photo above- mine is a disgrace and will have to go back.

I'll delete my photo- I think I've confused the original question!

Edited by richatthecroft
Confused- I am always!

On 10/01/2020 at 15:31, goldmember44 said:

I see the minimum price on Ebay since today for a silver Una is £350... it is increasing by the day, and the lowest priced ones are being snapped up very quickly... this coin is rapidly appreciating on the secondary market.  

Remember the 2016 Peter Rabbit 50p silver proof.. it is now valued at £800 by Spink catalogue, and that's what they go for on Ebay, consistently. IMO this silver proof Una is a MUCH nicer and sought after coin than the Peter Rabbit 2016 50p.... so can we expect its value to eclipse the rabbit's £800 in the next few years?

Another thing in favour of this Una silver is that I very much doubt it is something that could come out annually, or with some variations. This must be strictly a one-off... 

Apologies @goldmember44 but I'm just catching up with this month's thread posts having not been on the forum again until yesterday. I must do better. 

The difference in my opinion between the silver Una and the 2016 silver Peter Rabbit is that their broad appeal lies with 2 different types of coin enthusiasts. Silver Una mainly appeals to numismatic collectors prepared to pay a hefty £180 for a 2 ounce coin at launch. Silver Peter appealed to the new breed of novelty coin enthusiasts who were happy to pay £55 or thereabouts for that first must have coloured 50p coin, possibly as a child's gift, having read about its release in the tabloids. 

Of course there's also the established collectors and the flippers who also got in on the act. However, silver Peter 2016 appealed to the masses - mums, dads, sons and daughters - and due to the reasonably low mintage masses also missed out. Massive demand and little supply means silver 2016 Peter commands such a huge price for a 1 ounce coin on the secondary market.

I don't think silver Una can match anywhere near that level of mass appeal, though if it gets within sight of Peter, the lion will have the rabbit for breakfast.

Melon, if I were you I would send it in for a replacement, and ask them to quality check your coin before sending it. Has happened to me before with silver proofs, and they do replace them with better ones if they can. I'm not sure if they have any more left for replacements, you'll have to ask them first. If they don't have, bad luck.