• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

contemplating for future investment.

ally5727

Looking into the new year and thinking ahead. trying to decide if I save and buy 2 tubes of sovereigns or buy a tube of britannias? I know the for roughly same price and gold weight it would only be approx 42-43 sovs but just thinking round upto 50 for 2 full tubes. Just wondering peoples thoughts? (I lready hear the calls from people to just get sovereigns lol)

Just now, KDave said:

Why not half a tube of brits and one tube of sovs. :P

There isn't much in it, sovereigns have a few advantages over brits but it doesn't make much difference, buy whichever you prefer. 

I know sovs are more liquid so easier to get rid than selling a 1oz coin, dont plan on selling after getting them (well not any time soon anyway) was just looking at the price and thinking which would be best to get. so thought id ask on here as theres plenty of people with plenty of opinions lol

If buying from a dealer, selling to a dealer - buy the cheapest. Long term investment, 1% saving on that kind of investment is worth it. 

Sovereigns will give you more divisibility, arguably more liquidity (though not true if selling to a dealer, its all the same to them gold is gold). They are smaller tubes, easier to hide. Buy older coins and you can get some nice ones, history, variation, potential for appreciation above gold price (maybe), and they can be had for small percentage above spot from a dealer. 

If you like big 1 oz coins, then get those. They are nice in hand, they look nice, 24ct gold is nice. Its a simple investment, limited numismatic potential, I prefer them to modern sovereigns. If I had a choice between a tube of 2019 Britannia and equivalent tubes of 2019 sovereigns I would pick Britannia every time. Mixed date sovereigns with some Edward, George, Victoria, I would buy the sovereigns. 

I hope that helps a bit. 

With that amount of cash I would honestly diversify over the lowest premium coins. Sovereigns and Britannias if those are the only ones you're looking for. Additionally, if there are better deals out there (like the 50 Pesos at Chards), I grab some if the premium is 1% or less. If you don't want to spend all in one go, maybe worth spreading the purchase across a few months to average out the cost.

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” – Mark Twain

Just now, ram64 said:

With that amount of cash I would honestly diversify over the lowest premium coins. Sovereigns and Britannias if those are the only ones you're looking for. Additionally, if there are better deals out there (like the 50 Pesos at Chards), I grab some if the premium is 1% or less. If you don't want to spend all in one go, maybe worth spreading the purchase across a few months to average out the cost.

was thinking rather than doing monthly buys just saving then buying multiple in one go just to make it slightly cheapr, was just looking at sovs and brits as it will be free from CGT (thinking long run) and they seem like they are closer to spot for british coins than anything else eg QB

On 17/11/2019 at 11:31, Bullionbilly said:

Sovs will sell quicker and easier if the need arises.

Not here in the states....some people think 999 is better cos it costs more....I hate stupid but then again some people sell their gold mistaking qwt as grams....stupid has paid for my christmas...lol.

IMHO buying for the metal content of Gold then concentrate on the % above spot paying rather than 1 oz Gold or Sovereign. I know that @ilovesilverireallydo able to buy Sovereigns at spot from certain jewellers and you cannot go wrong when paying 0% above spot for Gold. @Darr3nG made brilliant website http://goldprice.eu5.net/ and if you have the funds to buy 10 oz Gold I would ring the dealers on the website and ask negotiate on price and you are only willing to pay 2% above spot for tube of 10x 1 oz Gold Britannia's. Don't forgot to look and European dealers (European Mint) and ask for more competitive price from them as well. The same rules apply when you go to sell don't accept the price dealers offering on their website phone them up and ask if they are willing to buy at spot.

The closer buy and sell to spot value of Gold will reduce your transactional spread cost. Have look on YouTube Should You Buy Fractional Gold Coins  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpwOEcpK3-g&t=458s

Last point Sovereigns are great but nothing beats holding a 1 oz Gold coin in your hand. Look at YouTube videos of how both look and decide which one you prefer.

On 17/11/2019 at 16:09, ally5727 said:

Looking into the new year and thinking ahead. trying to decide if I save and buy 2 tubes of sovereigns or buy a tube of britannias? I know the for roughly same price and gold weight it would only be approx 42-43 sovs but just thinking round upto 50 for 2 full tubes. Just wondering peoples thoughts? (I lready hear the calls from people to just get sovereigns lol)

You will pay a heavy premium comparatively on Britannia from retailers. 
as others have said, but the lowest for most weight if its future you want it for. 

for example I would even buy 1 oz bars if I get them at spot or over a %ge.  

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Archived