• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Compare Gold Prices (UK) - FREE Website

Darr3nG

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updated the Sovereigns list for a cheaper Bairds coin [thanks to @Blehhhh for pointing it out] - seems like a good deal :) 

I noticed that Atkinsons' website is undergoing maintenance, I'll leave them in the list for now - hopefully they don't change the layout too much.

Tried adding Bleyer Bullion back in, but still hitting their Cloudflare DDoS Protection

I can see that there are lots of vendors updating stock and changes prices, so if you do see a better deal on any site, please let me know and I'll update ASAP.

Anyone following this thread, hopefully one of the 150 regular (daily) users of the site, I have added a link to @Roy's NHS Charity Draw...

Please, please, please Click the link and donate. It's for a very special cause, and we TSF Members can really show our support to a very worthy cause.

Cleaned up some of the error coins, due to vendors being out of stock, with no prices displayed.

Updated Royal Mint listings; they're currently performing upgrades on their site so prices are limited to Sovs and Brits, for now. I'll check in every so often, for the other coins.

Added more error checking to catch when prices are not correctly displayed, hopefully put a stop to those pesky £7.50 Sovereigns (I wish :)).

As always, if you see any errors or have any suggestions for improvement, feel free to contact me.

Cheers to @SovUK for pointing out goldinvestments.co.uk have updated their Free Shipping Policy, changing the minimum qualifying order value to £150.

Just made a quick update Compare Gold Prices (UK) and this change makes them very attractive for some of the smaller coins on offer (Half Sovs and 1/4oz Philies & Maples).

Come on lets get a free trade agreement with the USA I would love to see @Darr3nG posting saying yes I have updated JM Bullion/Apmex bullion prices and they now offering free shipping to the UK 😂

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, johnno said:

@Darr3nG have you thought about doing a similar one for silver coins, well at least for the popular standard coins?

This has been requested before and it's a tough one, though I have tried (and still do, every so often).

The main reason being that most people source their more-generic (i.e. popular) silver coins, in bulk, from the same 2-3 european sites, due to the UK VAT situation. This means trying to compare individual coin prices in €uro (possibly converting) and accounting for price breaks, due to the large(ish) delivery charges. I couldn't get a like-for-like comparison which gave a true measure of value. I could just limit it to UK vendors, but I don't think anyone would use it to buy from them - it would only highlight how much cheaper the coins are, elsewhere!

I am intending to create a variation of the site for the US silver coin market, where I just have to account for individual state taxes (watch this space, US members :) )

On 21/04/2020 at 10:42, Darr3nG said:

Tried adding Bleyer Bullion back in, but still hitting their Cloudflare DDoS Protection.

This is quite annoying, wish they got rid of it or just get a VPS or dedi that can cope.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Their Cloudflare DDoS protection is blocking my script from running the web-scrape. I've removed them, until it opens up again, or I code a workaround.

We should start a petition to get you access! Wonder how many sales you've driven to these sites. Imagine if they were all affiliate links 🤑

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of update / upkeep lately - just added some new coins from BullionVault (Thanks @RBBV, for the heads-up).

I will be doing a complete review of all current links soon, hopefully this weekend. 

Behind the scenes, I have been re-factoring code to see what additional features I could add, and also provide an easier update / management overhead (I'm lazy like that! :) ).

If you are interested, check out [http://goldprice.eu5.net/test/] - Please Note: the prices are not being auto-updated, but should be fairly recent, as I complete testing.

1 hour ago, Darr3nG said:

Behind the scenes, I have been re-factoring code to see what additional features I could add, and also provide an easier update / management overhead (I'm lazy like that! :) ).

If you are interested, check out [http://goldprice.eu5.net/test/] - Please Note: the prices are not being auto-updated, but should be fairly recent, as I complete testing.

Really like the new look and the introduction of the filters. Great work 👍

Wanted: 2006 1oz and 1/4 oz Gold Year of the Dog coins from the Perth Mint

On 17/06/2020 at 11:58, Darr3nG said:

Apologies for the lack of update / upkeep lately - just added some new coins from BullionVault (Thanks @RBBV, for the heads-up).

I will be doing a complete review of all current links soon, hopefully this weekend. 

nice to have a fiddle with the new and improved version #

im liking the "price range" feature.  If I know i have £400 to spend - just click £250-£499 and see at a glance whats best value 

Also please dont ever so away with the % over spot shown.  this is what i used to love about HGM was you just knew everything was 3% over spot so didnt have to fish the calculator out and check if you were getting a good deal or not.  This made them my go to dealer for this reason. Now they have chopped and changed what they do and how they work. I cant be arsed to work out if im getting a good or not now with them

8 minutes ago, Paul said:

please dont ever so away with the % over spot 

Never!

This was one of the main reasons for the site - I don't understand why more vendors haven't realised that many 'stackers' focus on the premium over spot, and just display it.

Big shout out to @LawrenceChard - great example of this :) 

1 hour ago, Martlet said:

it would be great to retain the classic version as an alternative. 

Classic version, well the look / feel anyway, is going nowhere... I just need to make some tweaks, for it to use the same data file :) (less work for me!)

16 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Never!

This was one of the main reasons for the site - I don't understand why more vendors haven't realised that many 'stackers' focus on the premium over spot, and just display it.

Big shout out to @LawrenceChard - great example of this :) 

Classic version, well the look / feel anyway, is going nowhere... I just need to make some tweaks, for it to use the same data file :) (less work for me!)

Thanks.

Our general advice to investors for years has been to buy at the lowest premium within reason.

Within reason means avoiding fakes, scrap grade and badly damaged coins, mainly because you can expect to hit problems and bigger discounts when you come to sell; for a similar reason prefer coins over bars.

The main reason why most dealers do not quote % premium is they don't want to make comparison easy for the obvious reason.

It's easy enough to show 5 premiums for gold, and for secondary market special scheme silver, platinum, and palladium, but more difficult for new VATable silver, platinum and palladium.

You TSF guys are all savvy about % premiums, but you would be astounded at how difficult and frustrating it can be to try to explain to many investors!

Remember though that nobody can be the cheapest on everything, all the time; at least not unless their stuff is stolen, substandard, or they are running at a loss, like a Ponzi scheme, and...

The absolute cheapest is not always the best buy.

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Within reason means avoiding fakes, scrap grade and badly damaged coins, mainly because you can expect to hit problems and bigger discounts when you come to sell; for a similar reason prefer coins over bars.

So very true and honest and nice to hear from a dealer, in the militaria trade a dealer would be selling a nail of a gun and try to big it up with 'it was used in this battle' or 'so and so had one of these'  and fudging over the condition of the gun and the fact that its last 80 years has been spent at the hands of bodgers and most of that in the last few months, then if you tried to sell it back later on it would be ' its in poor condition its not worth a great deal' or 'its got incorrect or replacement parts or the markings are fake.

I would sooner pay a little more and buy from Chards or a similiar well respected UK company and keep my sanity, than save a couple of quid to get something substandard from abroad and have all the hassle of that to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived