• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Rust spot on my gold griffin

Hennypenny

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a school of thought that spots on these gold coins aren’t always due to impurities in the coin but come from the dies.

who knows for sure and I don’t think there is anyway to tell for sure unless you can get a mint to introduce impurities onto the dies if a test run and see if/and how many of the test subjects end up with spotting.

I had red copper spot on mine gold Perth Mint Lunar Series 2 coin. I also have them on some gold Maple Leafs. So it's not too unusual.

I've successfully burned off the red spots on my Lunar Coin with a chef's torch. The Maples are just bullion so I didn't care too much about those.

On 27/10/2019 at 10:11, Midasfrog said:

Your making one hell of a fuss over a tiny copper spot on a Bullion coin  I would be very wary about selling anything to you . There are two sides to buying and selling with good communication from both sides there should not be to many issues or any reason to leave negative feedback or post a sellers private ebay  messages which should have been kept between you and the seller . Have you contacted the seller to let them know your posting their ebay messages on a public forum ??

Surprised by this response. Did you read those messages from the seller? I'd post them too - especially given eBay deleted the negative feedback so there's no other way to get the message out there. Who knows how many people this seller has mistreated? 

Bottom line, the item wasn't as described. Therefore a refund is reasonable. I'd bet the seller has already got that coin relisted without any additional information. 

Personally I think paying 40% over spot for bullion is madness, but if you're doing it you should expect the item to be in the condition described. 

36 minutes ago, Melon said:

Surprised by this response. Did you read those messages from the seller? I'd post them too - especially given eBay deleted the negative feedback so there's no other way to get the message out there. Who knows how many people this seller has mistreated? 

Bottom line, the item wasn't as described. Therefore a refund is reasonable. I'd bet the seller has already got that coin relisted without any additional information. 

Personally I think paying 40% over spot for bullion is madness, but if you're doing it you should expect the item to be in the condition described. 

Maybe I have more information about the buyer than you have . Some buyers can be a right pain in backside , I will repeat once again I will not have any dealings with the op

4 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Maybe I have more information about the buyer than you have . Some buyers can be a right pain in backside , I will repeat once again I will not have any dealings with the op

Perhaps - and of course deal with whomever you please based on the info you have. But even if it's a bad buyer, that doesn't change the unacceptable nature and tone of those eBay messages from the seller. Two wrongs don't make a right! 

12 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

I joined this forum hoping to remain anonymous, so I am very concern that this member appears to have more information about me. It's made me want to leave this forum immediately.

13 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

Checking a buyers feedback and checking sold listings for similar items can reveal a lot more information about a problem buyer. 🧐

I don't see how you can find any info on the buyer. Unless the OP has given his eBay username you can't see who bought what only what was sold especially as it wasn't an auction sale. Unless you were the seller I don't see how you can know what the OP has bought in the past. The OP is guilty of navievity but implying he's a problem  buyer without any evidence is poor manners.

Looking at the original lot it appears the seller has acted in poor faith by using a stock photo and not mentioning any defects. The seller then proves he's a poor seller by acting very aggressive towards the buyer. 

Glad that PayPal and eBay sorted it out though I do find it annoying that the feedback is removed. 

3 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

I don't see how you can find any info on the buyer. Unless the OP has given his eBay username you can't see who bought what only what was sold especially as it wasn't an auction sale. Unless you were the seller I don't see how you can know what the OP has bought in the past. The OP is guilty of navievity but implying he's a problem  buyer without any evidence is poor manners.

Looking at the original lot it appears the seller has acted in poor faith by using a stock photo and not mentioning any defects. The seller then proves he's a poor seller by acting very aggressive towards the buyer. 

Glad that PayPal and eBay sorted it out though I do find it annoying that the feedback is removed. 

For context, he did have info to be fair and he posted a screenshot to back it up. Since removed, I guess to protect anonymity which is fair. 

Don't waste anymore of your time with the seller. Just go straight to opening a claim. If Ebay claims dont work file a paypal claim.

Copper spots are extremely common on Gold coins of all sorts. Especially high purity gold coins. These are just areas of copper concentrated on the surface during the rolling of the strip prior to the stamping of the blanks.

Archived