• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Chart Of The Day thread

The Barrons Gold Mining Index plotted against the price of gold. Even with the recent rise in the stock price of gold miners, the ratio is still near all-time lows. In 2019, the passive index-tracking funds GDX and GDXJ rose 39%, but that is just a small upward blip at the end of the chart. There should be plenty of happy times ahead for gold mining investors.

BGMI-gold.thumb.jpg.932fff735c81307882d4e8cf8d5bf881.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

COTD is price of gold divided by the price of the Vanguard world index total return fund, which is, imo, a much fairer valuation of gold than the more widely used dow/gold ratio. 

Gold has just about been holding its own against a raging stock market over the last couple of years. Are we about to head back up?

On this measure gold is about the same valuation relative to stocks as it was during 2003-2005.

goldvti.png

Edited by vand

Some interesting tweets from Ed Conway. In Nov/Dec 2019, the UK exported about 300 tonnes of gold and it created a monthly trade surplus. It may have been nothing more than a US bank switching some gold holdings from unallocated to allocated status, but it is still pretty odd. Trading Economics attributes it to exports to the US and Turkey.

image.thumb.png.58b51d32f7ed7c6b4cc648d82110c2a5.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, KDave said:

Life insurance as calculated in net worth appears a bit small for the low tier, I know many people who are worth more dead than alive, myself included. :P

Same, between my life insurance and death in service 8x salary through work, if I were to die my family would do very well. 

2 minutes ago, vand said:

The poorest tier have more of their wealth tied up in their cars than they do in the pensions 😕

I guess a lot of that could be younger people who need a car for work and have only just started paying into a pension?!

Although people do tend to overspend on cars.

1 minute ago, vand said:

The poorest tier have more of their wealth tied up in their cars than they do in the pensions 😕

Its probably worse than that given the size of the financial industry attached to cars. Most own a part of a car and have debt on the rest, which is worth more than their pensions. 

Scary and also somewhat unconvinced by the 2021 forecast, expect a revision somewhere down the line, along the lines of we didn’t expect x,y,z.

608513B6-5D61-4BD5-82DB-D29B38157B9E.png

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use