• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is the Germania mint overrated?

ProfessorStacker

The Germania mint has released a number of rounds with low mintages in 2019. The premiums are VERY high. Their gold 1oz proof coin sells for $4k on APMEX. The silver rounds carry heavy premiums with one of their 5oz silver rounds going for $500. They also sell a 2oz silver round for about $375. What do you guys think? Is it overrated or worth it in the long run for the collectors resell value? Does it bother anyone they are pretending to be a coin with denominations of "marks" on their rounds?

Premiums are high but what matters ability to resale and appreciation. Seen Germania Mint rounds for sale (the higher premium coloured coins) seller struggling sell below purchase price. Any appreciation wipe out from start with those high premiums. I have single 1 oz BU round from the Mint because like the Design and may get couple more BU coins. Nothing wrong paying large premiums look at powercoin the majority coins they sell very high premium as long as you are aware when purchase such coins chances recovering purchase price are slim and buying for artwork and indulgence (nothing wrong with this motivation).

8 hours ago, Abyss said:

Nothing wrong paying large premiums look at powercoin the majority coins they sell very high premium as long as you are aware when purchase such coins chances recovering purchase price are slim and buying for artwork and indulgence (nothing wrong with this motivation).

Agree with that, just can't see anything so special in the Germania rounds, justifying all this hype and premiums. Coins like the ones from Powercoin are a totally different story, really works of art, usually low mintages and bought purely as collectibles. 

Instagram: gildeon_67

If you look on ebay usa how many of the first editions of Germania were reworked with paint or gold applications and sold very expensive, it quickly becomes clear that there are not many pieces from the first edition without post-processing. I think that the Germania and the Germania allegories series are 2 really nice series.

The argument, that a low mintage justifies a high premium is complete rubbish. If only 500 coins are availabe there is no chance for the developement of a healthy market. Without trade any premium is artificial and has nothing to do with a market price.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2019 at 23:50, ProfessorStacker said:

The Germania mint has released a number of rounds with low mintages in 2019. The premiums are VERY high. Their gold 1oz proof coin sells for $4k on APMEX. The silver rounds carry heavy premiums with one of their 5oz silver rounds going for $500. They also sell a 2oz silver round for about $375. What do you guys think? Is it overrated or worth it in the long run for the collectors resell value? Does it bother anyone they are pretending to be a coin with denominations of "marks" on their rounds?

In a word "YES", I won't be buying from them.

I bought the Germania but thought the Allegory idea was gimmicky and kitsch. Britannia looks more like a supermodel than the fierce and indomitable warrior queen who is supposed to personify our nation. She is also depicted with a booty of sufficient magnitude to drive the Kardashians into fits of envy.

I was initially excited about the Germania series. Then I saw how amateurish their entire operation is, and how they can't meet deadlines. In July/August I was ready to drop a couple thousand on their gold oak leaf. Then it slowly set in that it's not even a coin, it's a round. Then I started thinking "the only reason these are expensive is they have to have 500% premiums to keep this amature mint alive with distributions of 100 rounds. When the Mexican mint has a low mintage it's because they are trying to make a limited edition. When germania mint makes a low mintage its because they only HAD so much gold or silver. In 10 years they will be a footnote in some stacker guide. 

On 29/10/2019 at 10:51, ProfessorStacker said:

I was initially excited about the Germania series. Then I saw how amateurish their entire operation is, and how they can't meet deadlines. In July/August I was ready to drop a couple thousand on their gold oak leaf. Then it slowly set in that it's not even a coin, it's a round. Then I started thinking "the only reason these are expensive is they have to have 500% premiums to keep this amature mint alive with distributions of 100 rounds. When the Mexican mint has a low mintage it's because they are trying to make a limited edition. When germania mint makes a low mintage its because they only HAD so much gold or silver. In 10 years they will be a footnote in some stacker guide. 

Maybe you are right but a few days ago the APMEX price for one ounce Gold Germania was this...

229046468_GermaniaGold.thumb.png.58eb2ea72a70eb74268c6d1b04baa476.png

Please do not missunderstand me: I do not buy Gold Medaillons at this price. But I bougt one Libertad 2019 Reverse Proof because it is a nice Libertad with also low mintage ( 500 pieces). But the Germania ist a very nice medaillon. So gratulation for the collectors who bought it at maybe 2.000 Dollar. Thank you! 

On 29/10/2019 at 05:16, platinreloaded said:

Maybe you are right but a few days ago the APMEX price for one ounce Gold Germania was this...

229046468_GermaniaGold.thumb.png.58eb2ea72a70eb74268c6d1b04baa476.png

Please do not missunderstand me: I do not buy Gold Medaillons at this price. But I bougt one Libertad 2019 Reverse Proof because it is a nice Libertad with also low mintage ( 500 pieces). But the Germania ist a very nice medaillon. So gratulation for the collectors who bought it at maybe 2.000 Dollar. Thank you! 

$4k is a ludacris sum for a modern coin. I understand that high of a premium on a MS65 5 pound Victoria sovereign but not a gold round. 

Looks like the bottom is dropping out on the Allegories.  The 5oz is going for roughly half of what it was at its peak, and I can buy the 1oz at $27 now, which is lower than a lot of them were purchased from the online dealers. And I still think flippers and dealers are sitting on loads.  I should have listened to my gut and never should have bought any in the first place.  I also wonder if the falling Allegories price will affect the first Germania round's price.

Again though, I do *love* the oak leaves.

Archived