• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bullion at Costco

TopHatsTales

Had a browse at some watches in Costco yesterday and saw they now sell bullion.

50g bar £2080 

So about 5% over market value. As they have printed price tags, I knew they must be overpriced.

Anyone else seen these? They may have been selling these for years, I never look in the jewellery section. 

But the fact they sell it is interesting. It's getting 'mainstream'.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall a quote by some mega Banker or such like that went something like: "When the average man in the street is into a particular investment then it's time to get out".

Sell all your gold and run away!!! 🤣 🏃‍♂️

The average person in the street is selling I think.  A few weeks ago I visited a pawn shop where they were selling a coin that I was interested in.

Four people selling gold from an ad they had seen in the paper were ahead of me “cash for gold”.  Invariably they were disappointed because the jewellery they wanted to sell was v low quality!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

It was only last Tuesday at their Wembley branch I saw they had these bars for sale and wondered if they moved the price daily as I thought they were a bit expensive. I took the picture so I could compare the price when the spot priced moved. 

Your Costco appears cheaper and that maybe the case at a different branch unless price does move with spot.

image.jpg

46 minutes ago, MickB said:

It was only last Tuesday at their Wembley branch I saw they had these bars for sale and wondered if they moved the price daily as I thought they were a bit expensive. I took the picture so I could compare the price when the spot priced moved. 

Your Costco appears cheaper and that maybe the case at a different branch unless price does move with spot.

image.jpg

It was yesterday in MK.

• 5 months later...

I'm glad I've come across with this forum. I've seen this last week Gold Bars on Costco in Chingford (11th March): 100g - £4179.99 and 500g - £20799.99 by HEIMERLE & MEULE (german refinery).Then I've looked on same weight or more popular refinery like PAMPS, METALOR, etc and COSTCO is the cheapest. Even same 500g weight from H&M cost more on other retailers. I've return today sneaking gracefully trough massive hoard of toilette paper and water hunters, and to my surprise, all bars were sold out. All they had left: 2x 20g. Any thoughts about the price? I think they very good on price, I haven't find anything cheaper nowhere yet (unless you want to take a risk and buy on auction websites like eBay). 

IMG_20200308_121453.jpg

• 4 months later...

You beat me by a few minutes. Just mentioned it in the gold deals. Which Costco do you visit as not all stores have the same prices? 

I'm going to the Wembley store tomorrow to ask for a price list so I can post it on the forum. 

• Founder & Administrator

Merged with previously existing topic. :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

TBH you get this in the middle east and further afield... gold in super markets etc. But gold is more culturally engrained there. Here, if you buy your gold bar from Costco you most likely don't know what your'e doing and just impulsing on the bandwagon. Hence the proverbial shoeshine boy. We DO NOT WANT the masses buying gold like idiots because it wont affect the price but it might affect the law.

I priced these up in Costco Chadderton a couple of months ago and dismissed them as they were well over market price for the same products at online dealers.  However, I returned maybe two weeks ago and noted that the 20g at least (the only one I could actually even consider buying, lol) was in fact pretty close to spot. I hadn't recorded the prices originally, but I suspect that they update maybe only periodically and so as a result there will be times when the store price is well over what it should be, and also sometimes a little below.

I seem to think it was £1011 for a 20g bar when spot was about £995. It was just before payday though, so 😞

1 hour ago, Pohaku said:

I priced these up in Costco Chadderton a couple of months ago and dismissed them as they were well over market price for the same products at online dealers.  However, I returned maybe two weeks ago and noted that the 20g at least (the only one I could actually even consider buying, lol) was in fact pretty close to spot. I hadn't recorded the prices originally, but I suspect that they update maybe only periodically and so as a result there will be times when the store price is well over what it should be, and also sometimes a little below.

I seem to think it was £1011 for a 20g bar when spot was about £995. It was just before payday though, so 😞

Now that is research I think we all like to see. If true, could be an interesting opportunity (until they catch on)... or it's a lure to get gold bugs to spend money on groceries and costco account signups. 🤣

Archived