• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Have you reached Financial Maturity!

new survey, by the lender Zopa, has revealed that British people don’t reach financial maturity until the age of 31. At 22 we are apparently most frivolous with our money – overspending on holidays and nights out – but by our early 30s we tend to take better control of our finances. The survey comes complete with a list of signs that you have reached financial maturity – you have a savings account and a pension, for example – but it’s by no means comprehensive. So here’s a better list.

1. You can check your banking app without having a 45-minute full-body palpitation.

2. You can receive a brown envelope in the post without automatically assuming HMRC is planning to throw you in prison.

3. You make your own lunch every day, ideally from things you have scavenged from a neighbour’s bin.

4. You can walk past an estate agent’s window without having a tantrum about the impossibility of home ownership.

5. You don’t buy anything until you have searched the entire internet for the best deal.

6. You shun holidays in favour of closing your eyes and thinking about holidays – basically the same thing.

7. You refuse to lend your friends cash, preferring instead to deliver a quick motivational address about the power of aspiration.

8. You can read literature from a bank or insurance company without glazing over like a shop mannequin.

9. Your pension plan doesn’t revolve around you dying in a suspiciously timed skydiving accident on the eve of your 70th birthday.

10. You have incredibly rich parents.

11. You shun all the latest expensive fashions, such as trendy clothes and dentistry.

12. You have an emergency fund that does not solely consist of €23 and a Twix.

13. You can be told your credit rating without asking anyone whether it’s good or not.

14. You know how much money is in your account at all times, but not because your bank keeps sending you panicky texts about the payments it is having to refuse.

15. You have incredibly rich parents.

16. You’ve realised that friends are ultimately a financial burden, and so spend all your nights in silent pitch-black solitude.

17. You have home insurance.

18. You have life insurance.

19. You have life insurance that doesn’t constantly act as a terrifying reminder that you are worth several times more to your loved ones dead than alive.

20. You cook your dinners in batches to save money, because eating shepherd’s pie every night is actually quite underrated.

21. You can look your children in the eye without wondering how much you would get if you harvested their organs on the black market.

22. You spent your entire childhood dreaming of the day when you could become a cackling unscrupulous private landlord.

23. You have never bought an avocado, for you know that a supermarket avocado represents the highest possible level of insane decadence.

24. You haven’t been to a Pret in eight years.

25. You have incredibly rich parents. I know that this is the third time I’ve mentioned this, but, well, it definitely seems to help.

From here - -  ->>> https://www.theguardian.com/money/shortcuts/2019/sep/25/never-go-to-pret-25-signs-reached-financial-maturity

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

I won’t feel financially mature until the mortgage is clear!

YOU are already half way there by being a member of this forum and at least diversifying into PM's over ALL the paper and FIAT that is out there!

how i met your mother thumbs up GIF

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Im a good few of whats on that list.

What is missing is, when you price things & stuff in oz of silver or grams of gold it could buy you.

Lmao...I thought I was the only one that did that! 

On 26/09/2019 at 07:29, 5huggy said:

1. You can check your banking app without having a 45-minute full-body palpitation.

Me - yup, always have enough cash there to cover all bills/outgoing, but by keeping your outgoing & bills to the absolute minimum

2. You can receive a brown envelope in the post without automatically assuming HMRC is planning to throw you in prison.

ME - accountants job, not mine forwarded straight to them to sort & advise back.  If the money you pay an accountant isn't what he saves you in reduced taxes etc, he isn't doing his job right

3. You make your own lunch every day, ideally from things you have scavenged from a neighbour’s bin.

ME - always make my own lunch where possible, not only saves you cash but YOU know what is going in YOUR food, 

4. You can walk past an estate agent’s window without having a tantrum about the impossibility of home ownership.

ME - a home is a home.  A home should be a place to live, not an investment/for profit instruments. EVERYONE should have access to a home, regardless of wealth or .  Shelter, warmth, food and water should be a bedrock requirement for any civilised society

5. You don’t buy anything until you have searched the entire internet for the best deal.

ME - of course. why wouldn't you to look save cash when you can? so many tools out there to find the cheapest deal for you 

6. You shun holidays in favour of closing your eyes and thinking about holidays – basically the same thing.

ME - holidays are nice to have. i've been the four corners of the world while younger, but had some of the nicest breaks away on just my doorstep in The Lake District camping, in foothills of Northumberland Walking, walking the North Yorkshire coast

7. You refuse to lend your friends cash, preferring instead to deliver a quick motivational address about the power of aspiration.

ME - only give away money you are prepared to write off and never see again.  I would lend to a friend before I would lend to family. Refuse for the start for the very smallest amount, and they'll know never to ask again.  I have said, that is what bank and creditr card are for.  Money can sour and lose friends and family very easily

8. You can read literature from a bank or insurance company without glazing over like a shop mannequin.

ME - i wouldn't read anything from either, as i would find my own best deal as anything you get from them will be totally one-sided to THEIR needs as a business NOT yours

9. Your pension plan doesn’t revolve around you dying in a suspiciously timed skydiving accident on the eve of your 70th birthday.

ME - nope, this is what an accountant and IFA is there for

10. You have incredibly rich parents.

ME - nope - from very working class background, in a poor area, never went without growing but never had major luxuries or treats.  Was learnt that money was EARNED, not given.

11. You shun all the latest expensive fashions, such as trendy clothes and dentistry.

ME - clothes are for function, not form.  Buy the best quality you can afford.  Clothes I feel most comfortable in are outdoor gears, as keep me warm & dry.  Nothing better than toasty dry feet in winter from Hiax army issue gortex boots or a totally windproof NorthFace jacket & fleece bodywarmer 

12. You have an emergency fund that does not solely consist of €23 and a Twix.

ME - at least x6 months salary as an emergency fund MINIMUM, x12+ is ideal.  Just a round of layoffs at work or a sudden freak injury can knock you back to square one in an instant

13. You can be told your credit rating without asking anyone whether it’s good or not.

ME - a good credit rating is built by simply keeping to your agreements and paying you damn bills on time.  Do this for long enough and you have stellar credit as a result of not trying but just keep to your T&C's of the credit agreement

14. You know how much money is in your account at all times, but not because your bank keeps sending you panicky texts about the payments it is having to refuse.

ME - Of course - why wouldn't you know how much cash you are sat on? even if it just to know your have the cash on hand to pay your bills

15. You have incredibly rich parents.

ME - nope - from very working class background, in a poor area, never went without growing but never had major luxuries or treats.  Was learnt that money was EARNED, not given.

16. You’ve realised that friends are ultimately a financial burden, and so spend all your nights in silent pitch-black solitude.

True friends, you will only make a handful in your lifetime.  folk who volunteers you help or money without expectations of it being returned.  What they do for you, you will be happily fine to repeat the favour to them.  You will however find multiple acquaintances, family, work colleagues, folk down the pub who will happily dip your pockets and take advantages of you if your give them a second to try.  Be like batfink and have wings around you like a shield of steel 

17. You have home insurance.

ME - insurance is a con by and large, insurance is their to help them not you.  if at any time an insurance company can find a way to NOT pay you they will.  if you live a minimalist style of life style, dont put value in hoarding lots of things and stuff,  with very few material possessions what do you need £50k of home insurance for ? whats a burglar gonna do in mine ? nick my george foreman grill i can replace for £20odd.  Buildings insurance yes, i do have that

18. You have life insurance.

ME - no wife & no dependants so no life insurance needed

19. You have life insurance that doesn’t constantly act as a terrifying reminder that you are worth several times more to your loved ones dead than alive.

ME - no wife & no dependants so no life insurance needed

20. You cook your dinners in batches to save money, because eating shepherd’s pie every night is actually quite underrated.

ME - YES - why wouldn't you??  You dont need to be Gordon Ramsey chef to make great food at home.  Youtube is awash with cookery channelsto learn for FREE . There are only 7 days in a week, learn how to do 5-7 dishes you love, and learn how to cook them WELL with the best quality ingredients, then just rotate. Over cooking is great as you only need to cook a few times a week, the day after you are just reheating in oven again.  Ive learned how to smoke meats, brine, pickling, slow cooking, rubs and marinates, baking own bread, making cakes & flapjacks. ALL on youtube for free. 

21. You can look your children in the eye without wondering how much you would get if you harvested their organs on the black market.

ME - aint got none - sorry to generalise and Im sure your own kids are totally wonderful & lovely but kids money pits and will on average costs you over £200,000 to raise & keep over a lifetime. Even then that doesn't guarantee youll get a good one, wont go off the rails and get pregnant in her teens no matter how hard you try

22. You spent your entire childhood dreaming of the day when you could become a cackling unscrupulous private landlord.

ME - nope, not me.  Housing should be something we should profit from.  Everyone should have a home/shelter regardless to live 

23. You have never bought an avocado, for you know that a supermarket avocado represents the highest possible level of insane decadence.

ME - nope, youll find me in the whoopsie yellow sticker isle first to see if anything cheaps at hand

24. You haven’t been to a Pret in eight years.

ME - correct - "£3 for a cup of coffee?, i could get a jar of coffee for that price - £5 for a fancy sounding sandwich" HOW MUCH !!!!

25. You have incredibly rich parents. I know that this is the third time I’ve mentioned this, but, well, it definitely seems to help.

ME - nope

From here - -  ->>> https://www.theguardian.com/money/shortcuts/2019/sep/25/never-go-to-pret-25-signs-reached-financial-maturity

Archived