• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver bar shortage

Bimetallic

Hi all -- There's a silver bar shortage in the US going back to May or June, or perhaps earlier, specifically regarding premium bars. By premium I mean mostly government mints. Britannia bars disappeared early in the year. Royal Canadian Mint bars became hard to find at most American dealers, especially 1 oz, and now 10 oz too. Perth bars vanished. Even private Sunshine bars are now hard to find.

I assume this is because these mints just didn't make enough bars to last the year, or even half the year. Is that right? Are most of these bars hard to find in your countries?

I wonder if bars are less profitable than coins. It seems like they must be since the premiums are smaller, but maybe they cost less to produce. I don't remember this sort of bar shortage in prior years.

I bought a 10 oz Britannia bar from my LCS last month.  It was his last one, and he did tell me the following week that he was having trouble getting more.  But I didn't get the feeling from him that that was the case with other brands of bars.

15 hours ago, TonyS said:

I don’t like cast bars.

I’d like to get more RCM 10ozT bars, not many out there on offer.

Me neither. I like my silver (and future gold!) to have nice clean lines and flat uniformed surfaces like proper press stamped silver does. Not a fan of all this cast silver stuff. Yes you pay a bit more for precision stamped goodies but hey ho, that's the nature of the beast.

8 hours ago, g33x0r said:

Plenty of Silvertowne bars available it seems though, they're on sale over at JM. 

Yeah, Silvertowne seems in good supply. They're too ugly though – it's strange how the details on their bars are so blurry/sloppy. It's like they don't have the same sort of equipment that other manufacturers or mints have.

43 minutes ago, tallyhojim said:

Me neither. I like my silver (and future gold!) to have nice clean lines and flat uniformed surfaces like proper press stamped silver does. Not a fan of all this cast silver stuff. Yes you pay a bit more for precision stamped goodies but hey ho, that's the nature of the beast.

Me too. I like sharp lines and flat surfaces. Sometimes I see such bars called "minted" while the poured stuff is "cast". Or the minted bars are called "ingots", but I'm not sure if that's a universal usage. It's the minted stuff that's in short supply right now for some reason, especially the government mints. PAMP bars are lovely, but they have eye watering premiums right now, like more than $5.00 over spot, or even $10.00.

On 12/09/2019 at 06:44, g33x0r said:

Plenty of Silvertowne bars available it seems though, they're on sale over at JM. 

Britania or Canadian minted bars. Sunshine or Silvertown mints just don’t cut it for me.

I suppose I could save my pennies for a 100ozT Britania.

I don’t think so. Pressburgmint have just released the 2019 Equilibrium. They’re the first on the want list.

Yeah, I noticed the designs on the back of the Silvertowne bars I have are kind of messy.  Away from the edges/corners it seems okay though.  I mainly bought them because they were such a low price over spot, less than a  dollar I believe.  But you get what you pay for I guess.  Myself I'm still wrestling with the just get silver content vs. the pretty coins haha.  

On 11/09/2019 at 16:04, Bimetallic said:

Do you know of a dealer that has Britannia bars?

Not my bar of choice - sorry - usually get Canadian or US bars. Seen plenty for sale on the forum here though. 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

I have a trip coming up to visit friends and family in Canada and was going to pick up some 10oz RCM bars while there. Been looking at my usual sources in the Toronto area and none seem to have stock. I found this odd but it follows the theme of the topic here. Be interesting to see what stocks the shops who don't list inventory online have in stock when I get there.

52 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I have a trip coming up to visit friends and family in Canada and was going to pick up some 10oz RCM bars while there. Been looking at my usual sources in the Toronto area and none seem to have stock. I found this odd but it follows the theme of the topic here. Be interesting to see what stocks the shops who don't list inventory online have in stock when I get there.

Do you recommend any particular shops in Toronto?

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

26 minutes ago, KitboyE17 said:

Do you recommend any particular shops in Toronto?

My go to's are Canadian PMX and Bullion Mart but there are a lot of dealers and coin stores in the downtown Toronto area as well as the greater Toronto area. Generally some good coin shows too in some of the greater Toronto area cities like Brampton. Well worth a look.

Archived