• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Copper or gold color in poured silver cracks

EdgarSilverman

I recently bought a 3 oz Bison Bullion poured silver bar. It has the a coppery or goldish bright tone areas inside the bubbles seen on poured silver bottoms.

It looks bright like new metal not tarnish at all, I've included pics. I"ve also seen this color on vintage poured silver bars in the cracks. .

Also, the bubble holes are deep and some I can't see the bottom as they disappear into the void! I like bubbles, but normally all are relatively shallow compared to these.

Does anyone have info on the color and is the deep holes a concern for resale if i want to sell it down the line? 

thank you.

BB1.jpg

BB2.jpg

BB3.jpg

35 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

Errrr are you sure it isn't a fake bar and you are seeing the copper core, 

It looks like that to me, but the pics aren't the best. It could be toning from the images but as you have the bar in hand you have ruled that out that only leaves a fake. 

I’ve seen this before, not with silver but iron. Impurities will cause gas pockets and can be quite violent when pouring.

Another explanation is the mould was cold, that’s even more fun! Molten metal on to water equals an explosion.

In this picture you can see a sample mould being “warmed” before a sample is poured. (bottom left)

Blow-through.jpg.bcc4b0f30b3e5579ca79629366d8aeae.jpg

Impossible for me to rule out fake without seeing it but I have some experience with this type of colour happening when you "antique" the silver. 

The chemical reaction makes it go all sorts of lovely rainbow colours before it settles in a nice black. On some pieces it could be the left over bits of the liver of sulphur that causes it.

Personally I am not immediately jumping to the conclusion this is a fair bar - as the colours I am seeing fit quite well into the liver of sulphur experience I have had.

Try getting some silver polish in those parts and see if it cleans up. Or, do a specific gravity test to be sure.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Thanks for all your responses so far...  Bison Bullion does antique their bars to give the black in the lines... thanks for the insight Backyard Bullion, 
on the sulfur color... I like your videos on youtube.. I know you'd never let one like this out of your shop being as meticulous as you are! 

Bison Bullion is a  big poured silver seller, and this one looks just like all the ones on their website... this one weighs 93.5 grams, just .2 gram over,
well within resolution error of the scale. I'm pretty sure it's real, looks & feels real and the weight is right. and the size is correct for a real one. 

I just bought it from a coin dealer on ebay that sells a lot of stuff and numismatic coins and has 100% feedback. He accepts returns, I could process a return.. I guess more than the color is the bottomless holes and dime size area is sort of slaggy...  I guess I'm not happy with it, he did have pictures but I thought the color was uncleaned flux or something. 

Does anyone think I would have a problem getting full price for it down the line? i'm wondering if anyone else would not be happy with this purchase too, or am I being to critical on this poured silver? 

thanks! 

15 hours ago, EdgarSilverman said:

Does anyone think I would have a problem getting full price for it down the line? i'm wondering if anyone else would not be happy with this purchase too, or am I being to critical on this poured silver?

Not sure I would be happy with this bar.  Anytime there is a question mark over anything you are trying to sell, bar, coin or any other item, the resale price is going to be affected.

Looks like normal toning to me in the pits and if I saw this in my LCS I would not even question that coloring for a minute. If you are that worried about it test it with a sigma metalytics machine. I think you are fine. Who is really going to counterfeit bison bullion? 

Archived