• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Weight tolerances

silenceissilver

Just weighted hundredths of 2 oz Unicorn QBs. I got a weight range from 2.007 to 2.018 troy ounces.

Just as reference, in case someone asks himself if his coins are within production tolerances. I have used a cheap scale for 20 Pounds or so, so maybe you need to add plus minus 0.002 to 0.003 troy ounces to the tolerance. I have also checked them with my Sigma pro verifier, so they are definitely real. I have ordered them from the European Mint, so this on its own, I would assume, should guaranty that they are not fakes, anyway.

I will update this threat with the weight tolerance for Australian Bullion one ounce silver kangaroos, once I will have measured them.

If you want to add weight tolerances (and maybe also dimension tolerances) for other coins that you have a lot of - on you go!

The Royal Mint errs on the side of overage. I wrote to them about this some time ago. Their website gives an erroneous definition of a troy ounce as 31.2 grams or something. It turned out that the reason for the error was that this was the weight they targeted.

I assume other mints err on the same side.

If you search "weight varies around the world" on the net you'll see that there are very measurable variations around the world, dependent on a lot of factors, including your distance from the Earth's equator. I saw a TV show just a couple months back that focused a lot on this topic and traveled around Britain to demonstrate changes just within that region. Anyway, the changes in weight could be as much as 0.5% around the world (much more limited when talking about a smaller region). But when you measure weight in fractions down to the thousandth of an ounce, location could make a difference.

13 hours ago, North said:

If you search "weight varies around the world" on the net you'll see that there are very measurable variations around the world, dependent on a lot of factors, including your distance from the Earth's equator. I saw a TV show just a couple months back that focused a lot on this topic and traveled around Britain to demonstrate changes just within that region. Anyway, the changes in weight could be as much as 0.5% around the world (much more limited when talking about a smaller region). But when you measure weight in fractions down to the thousandth of an ounce, location could make a difference.

Can someone from the Himalayas and someone from the Netherlands please measure one ounce coins, so we get to know the difference? Or even better from the Mariana Trench? Any submarine stackers here?

Archived