• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Website for comparing UK prices for gold sovereigns, britannias, etc

2 hours ago, tallyhojim said:

But it won't though, will it? You have already stated in a prior post that the annual subscription fee will likely be increasing in the next week or two, so any savings a customer makes by purchasing from the cheapest dealer will likely be swallowed up by your site fee, making any savings null and void.

And how do you know your site will be catering to those who are only frequent gold buyers? Have you conducted any market research to establish this hypothesis? How do you know that those who are frequent gold buyers don't know where the cheapest deals already exist? Have you tracked click through's to ascertain which items are the most popular? If so, does that information tell you anything in how you can create affiliate link programs with dealers?

There's a reason why all these comparison sites don't do paywalls - because they don't work.

Then there are other issues. You intend to take subscription payments. What have you done to ensure your are fully GDPR compliant? It's a lot more than just plonking a GDPR statement on a website, I assure you. By accepting subscription payments that now means you fall under various anti money laundering and tax regulations. Have you done any research on this? And how is that payment information retained and secured? What is your business contact details (telephone number/address etc) as these are all legal requirements. I've read through all your T&C's and cannot see any of that legally required information anywhere. Your T&C's state you don't offer refunds - have you had any confirmation that such a policy is legal under the Law of England and Wales (assuming London is your true location)? Have you had confirmation that your T&C's itself are fully compliant and legal?

The moment you decided to turn it from a hobby site into a business platform, you opened yourself up to a whole universe of legal requirements.

Payments are securely processed by Stripe, which store all payment information, not myself.

As for everything else... if you believe I mishandled your personal information (I only collect an email address) or broken any laws, please report to the ICO or use legal advice.

4 hours ago, S2G said:

Payments are securely processed by Stripe, which store all payment information, not myself.

As for everything else... if you believe I mishandled your personal information (I only collect an email address) or broken any laws, please report to the ICO or use legal advice.

That's it? That's your response to legitimate feedback? That's how you intend to handle questions?

By retorting a snotty remark back like a petulant schoolboy?

How utterly arrogant of you.

And lastly, you may want to have a read of the relevant UK legislation (again assuming you are UK based) concerning online and distance selling, which your website will most definitely fall under. That means you are required by Law to state your business name/address/contact details.

But as you say, perhaps I should report it?

And maybe I will.........

Don't get so caught up in it Tally, he's free to run his website as he wishes, including conforming to legislation and deciding to charge if he wishes and we're free to use it if we wish.

He has come in, used this forum as a focus-group and intends to make money off of it.  Unfortunately he's alienated the people he's intending to make money off of, that's his own (imo poor) business decision.

Let him move fowards or backwards as he see's fit and i'm sure you will feel better just letting it go and not re-advertising his site with every post we add.

This'll be the last I do so too.

Edited by Miganto

28 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

You do you and if you think charging a fee is what you want to do then go for it. 

I think this statement is quite right- everyone is entitled to make their own decisions in terms of pegging their product selling price. 

But, I think people here are disappointed as they feel cheated as he/she wasn’t transparent in terms of this being a commercial venture- and essentially the Forum were taken for a ride in terms of being used as some kind of uninformed focus group. 

For me, I really don’t see much value in the site- I had a quick look at it and it told me what I kind of already knew, give or take a quid or two. 

I think comparison sites are fab for the drudge in life- insurance, life insurance, pet insurance, car insurance....snoooooze, 💤 💤  Boring. 

For me, there’s nothing better than turning up a gem of a coin unexpectedly- much prefer finding stuff in the ‘real world’ - tat and antique shops, coin shops & fairs, antique fairs, auction rooms and from a friend of a friends Aunt....I could go on. 

The internet has already sanitised  all of our lives- a couple of clicks less to buy simply dumbs life down further. 

Just my opinion- the thrill of the chase keeps us on our toes and adds value to our individual collecting stories... any thoughts? 

Edited by richatthecroft

I had a look at this site a few weeks ago and it was, interestingly useful, but not much more. The user interface was pretty basic and for a (now) commercial fee subscription site, not professional enough. I would agree that the owner could have been more transparent in the early days but hey, who is ever fully transparent with data gathering!!! I personally don't see it having legs as a subscription service as it stands, but I'd wish anybody good luck with a new business idea.

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

On 08/08/2019 at 19:42, S2G said:

Hi all,

I recently launched a little side project of mine for monitoring the prices of gold sovereigns by UK dealers:

https://goldcompare.net

At the moment functionality and looks are very basic; it refresh automatically every 2 minutes and watches a few of the most reputable dealers that I know of.

I wanted to share it in case someone else finds it useful. It's completely free and donations are accepted to keep it running.

Any constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks!

I'll add my note of disappointment to the others.  Heres the first post.  Its completely free and was shared, allegedly, in case someone finds it useful.  We've all guided you into making it more useful. Now theres a paywall.  Poor show.  You are entitled to do as you wish, but folk are entitled to feel however they will about the way they've been treated.

I was just having a conversation with a brand new stacker and linked your site.

Then I realised it had changed and is now pay to use.

I won't be recommending it again - it was a good tool for newbies to begin with but now I don't feel that it is worth it at all.

Ironically I actually considered donating early on as it was a great idea with a lot of potential.

I wish you all the best but sadly this has been deleted from my bookmarks 😣😣

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

11 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

I was just having a conversation with a brand new stacker and linked your site.

Then I realised it had changed and is now pay to use.

I won't be recommending it again - it was a good tool for newbies to begin with but now I don't feel that it is worth it at all.

Ironically I actually considered donating early on as it was a great idea with a lot of potential.

I wish you all the best but sadly this has been deleted from my bookmarks 😣😣

Sadly, I have to agree with this. :( I wanted to use the site yesterday as I was about to make a purchase, then noticed it was a paysite now. Initially I thought... I'd just pay for one month, so it could still help me with this purchase. But then I saw you had to pay for an entire year subscription! Then I decided no thanks, I'd rather manually look things up as I did before.

I wish it was mentioned in the beginning that this was going to be a paysite. People feel cheated.

Does seem a bit of a contradiction paying to see what site can save you money. I could understand if membership offered discounts on some of the websites. Thing is 9/10 times it's the same few sites cheapest anyway. Also you have to factor multiple purchases and extra coupon codes to get the exact cost. TBH I just have tabs for each of the dealers I trust and just click though each one to see who is cheapest. I actually quite enjoy looking at all the sites. I must be a bit sad 😬

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, MESSIAH said:

just logged on to your site and it now wants to charge for use. 

Disappointed by this. 

You could have said it was going to be a chargeable site.

I might just do the same thing now and make it completely FREE of USE for the community here. 

Go for it- It would be appreciated by a lot of Forum members.

I'm hoping maybe the original poster might reconsider or open up an option (hopefully a free one) for the members here. It's his decision but it would be a good thing for sure. A lot of us from the forum have passed on his site to others etc. Hashtag: BetterTogether. :)

Edited by MESSIAH

1 hour ago, Melon said:

Not sure what you guys are angry about. All the most successful price comparison websites are locked behind a monthly subscription. Wait... did I get that the wrong way around? 🤣

because they didn't come into a room, ask 50 people their ideas, take them with thanks and then say 'here you are guys, that'll be £x to use the service you designed'

2 minutes ago, Miganto said:

because they didn't come into a room, ask 50 people their ideas, take them with thanks and then say 'here you are guys, that'll be £x to use the service you designed'

Guess the joke didn't land then? 🤣

Only an idiot would pay for this subsciption.  

For a lot on here thats the silverforum membership fee plus it would mean £3 per month for gold compare.  I would guess gold compare does not include a lot of the London/ country wide dealers who do not advertise.  

Ask yourself how much does it cost to search accross a few dealers.  

Starting to mount up!!

1 hour ago, Pipers said:

Only an idiot would pay for this subsciption.  

For a lot on here thats the silverforum membership fee plus it would mean £3 per month for gold compare.  I would guess gold compare does not include a lot of the London/ country wide dealers who do not advertise.  

Ask yourself how much does it cost to search accross a few dealers.  

Starting to mount up!!

Agreed with all the above.  

I think the only scenario where it might be useful is for some lazy so and so, who buys a few ounces of Gold regularly (like daily!) or someone who is extremely time poor.  

But I guess this profile of a Gold buyer would likely have calls to them, offering Gold at less than Spot price.