• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

1 hour ago, Midasfrog said:

Todays high £1300 and todays buying chance low £1267 😄

Sovereign spot price £299 👍

What dealer? Its 1271 now and its £320 from most of the dealer I can see?
I will buy a few for £300. ;) 

Or is that without premium??

Who thinks we will see a move to £1220's or is this the last bounce??? 
Might buy a few just in case. 

Edit - bought 3 from S-Pixley £319 - thats my purchase price maximum. 

just looked at the 6 month chart it really is starting to look bearish to be fair. ;)
Might just be worth waiting for £900 gold and back up the truck with 1ounce brits LOL. 

Edited by Stacktastic

56 minutes ago, CaptCaveMan said:

any idea of the reasons behind it?

No idea. 
Dollar is down making it cheaper to buy on foreign markets.
Bond yields are down & unemployment figures are also c**p - go figure. 

I think its related to the tapering & scale back stimulus.
Might be moves on the paper trading markets as its dropped when the US opened for business. 
The drop in the evening may have been a reaction from Asia? Im no expert complete guess that. ;)

Might be futures expiring also? i think thats today isnt it? Maybe a combination of the two?? 

Edited by Stacktastic

The Chinese real estate giant Evergrande being on the brink of collapse has had a big effect on Cryptos might also account for the dip in gold price on the 9th August ?

Evergrande is the most indebted company in the world owing more than $400 billion in various forms 

Edited by Midasfrog

10 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

The Chinese real estate giant Evergrande being on the brink of collapse has had a big effect on Cryptos...

Evergrande is the most indebted company in the world owing more than $400 billion in various forms 

The fall in cryptos was because "China expanded its escalating crackdown on cryptocurrencies on Friday when its central bank declared that all activities related to digital coins are “illegal” and must be banned."

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/china-declares-all-virtual-currency-transactions-illegal-sending-crypto-prices-tumbling

There is a thread on the Forum relating to Evergrande.

3 hours ago, Zhorro said:

“illegal” and must be banned."

I was at a fuel pump yesterday and a guy on a scooter was behind me
we both acknowledged the crazy panic buying, which ironically we were also part of. 

He was talking about fuel prices & mentioned he has made £14k profit on Cardano (good for him) this year. 
But when you go anywhere near the topic of it being banned they just dont or cant believe that it is possible.
I certainly think it is and it will happen when the CBDC's get rolled out. 

He then said 'I also have 7oz of gold i bought at £700' to which I said 'damn I hope when im as old as you I get it sussed' - luckily he laughed. ;)

Edited by Stacktastic

On 25/09/2021 at 10:24, Stacktastic said:

He was talking about fuel prices & mentioned he has made £14k profit on Cardano (good for him) this year. 

He then said 'I also have 7oz of gold i bought at £700' to which I said 'damn I hope when im as old as you I get it sussed' - luckily he laughed. ;)

Yes, we saw that 2 decades ago; albeit in different guise/s.

Those were the sort of profits being enjoyed in the dot com boom, but then came the subsequent crash.

My late father (who was experienced in buy/sell stocks/shares) and I had no idea of the mechanics of what was going on, but made a killing before getting out.

That's why I now only now have BTC, as they were only in 3 figures when the guys on another platform were raging about them many years back; so I gambled a bit on something on which I could afford to lose.

I'm still more confident on gold as insurance however, only death will prize that from my then cold clutches...........

Edited by Coverte

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

Gold at 1304.  

As usual, the market participants, commentators all change their tune when there is any sort of significant price movement.

It would be refreshing for someone to ignore the candlesticks, bull / bear predictions  and simply say “I gave you my forecast 2 years ago and that stands regardless of todays price action.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, dicker said:

Gold at 1304.  

As usual, the market participants, commentators all change their tune when there is any sort of significant price movement.

It would be refreshing for someone to ignore the candlesticks, bull / bear predictions  and simply say “I gave you my forecast 2 years ago and that stands regardless of todays price action.

What was your forecast? Wasn't here then.

2 hours ago, dicker said:

Gold at 1304.  

Hi @dicker 

I think you might enjoy the book Super Forecasting by Philip Tetlock.  Your comment made me think of it, since they went and compared forecasts with outcomes.    I found it to be a really good read.  

Not that I am anything other than an ordinary forecaster myeself. :)

1 minute ago, Tortoise said:

Hi @dicker 

I think you might enjoy the book Super Forecasting by Philip Tetlock.  Your comment made me think of it, since they went and compared forecasts with outcomes.    I found it to be a really good read.  

Not that I am anything other than an ordinary forecaster myeself. :)

Many thanks! Will order and read.  Many thanks

Not my circus, not my monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/09/2021 at 21:18, Midasfrog said:

Looking back over the last few years am I correct in thinking gold drops towards the end of the year Oct Nov Dec then regains ground from January. 

October and November might see some good buying chances 🤞

Only just saw your post, Midas. Yes, there are seasonal variations with the gold price, and Oct-mid-Dec is usually weak, while mid-Dec-Feb is usually strong. The latter is because of seasonal demand in the Far East because the Chinese New Year is a time when people give gifts of gold. The former is partly due to weak demand and partly because in the USA and many countries, the tax year is the same as the calendar year, and the end of year is a time to sell things in order to manage your capital gains/losses for the year.

That said, the last two years have been highly atypical, because of the virus. We had an unusual strong run up in Jun-Jul 2020, and prices have been drifting down ever since. The other big difference is that gold is now competing with cryptos for safe haven money. If the current run-up in cryptos were to end, gold could benefit greatly. But 50% retrenchments in crypto are not unusual and do not scare people away.

On 13/10/2021 at 18:04, HawkHybrid said:

manipulation :blink:

Im so fed up with this I sold all my gold stocks today!!
I have literally had enough now & think there are better avenues to invest.
I have more than enough physical to weather me in a storm. 

FCUK the PM markets its crazy. 
I shall catch it when it starts moving again. Im out. 

Edited by Stacktastic