• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

12 hours ago, Prophecy said:

I have a token holding in silver -just in case- but, quite frankly, it's a waste of time. Happy to eat my gold if silver has a sustained and sensible rise but it really seems to be absolutely no store of value against inflation and is only bought by people who like the feeling of having PM volume and super low entry points with no regard for any sensible strategy. Most shills only mention silver because it gets hits and likes because it's accessible to everyone. Gold alienates most people because it's too expensive for them to be part of that gang. Again, happy to eat my gold.

(I'm being provocative on purpose because its the thing that's jut not said)

This is right, there is a myth that silver is money and acts as an inflation hedge.

Silver performs well when gold is running, see 2005 - 2011, it follows gold. Since the last run in gold ended, silver has not kept pace with inflation. Silver price is also subject to demand pressures from industry.

Therefore silver is a speculators proxy for gold and an industrial metal. Silver is what you want if you think gold will run and/or there is an industrial case forming. Silver is not money. 

The GBP/US$ price of silver is the same today as it was when I started buying in 2014. Gold is double what it was in 2014 in GBP. Clearly silver has not acted as money for my small part. Industrial demand per ounce has done nothing exciting for the period and is roughly where it was 7 years ago. Even then silver should be higher in GBP via inflation but it has not provided that. Silver is not an inflation hedge.

We have some evidence that silver is a gold proxy and an industrial metal, and not money and not an inflation hedge. The question then to ask - do you want to buy silver as a speculator. That's it. Forget about the inflation and monetary arguments. Gold can address those factors but silver is the wrong vehicle. 

Is silver worth buying or a waste of time; 

Will expected movements in the gold price, increase demand for silver as a gold proxy?

Is there a viable case for increasing industrial demand? 

From what I have seen, I believe there is a long term case for both to the point silver will be one of the best performing. Short term I have my doubts, about gold for my own reasons and about industrial demand for more obvious reasons.

2 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

Probably in 15 days time todays price will look cheap 😳

In the dot-com bubble it was Enron, during the financial crisis it was Madoff and Lehman Brothers. This bust has a way to go and we are still waiting on something to "pop".

Maybe its a bank, Maybe its a currency or peg. Maybe its fraud in the gold or another market that emerges.

When it does happen, it will happen fast and gold could soar overnight.

1 hour ago, freefall said:

Maybe its a bank, Maybe its a currency or peg. Maybe its fraud in the gold or another market that emerges.

Or maybe all of these for good measure 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Gold blasting to all time highs in Sterling.
The shorts are getting burnt but Wonger say he go down hard.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

3 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

Or maybe all of these for good measure 

Now there's a shortage of physical in London as well as New York.

https://www.bullionstar.com/blogs/ronan-manly/amid-london-gold-turmoil-hsbc-taps-bank-of-england-for-gld-gold-bars/

This is like the jimmy Saville case. It can only be hushed for so long. The truth will out eventually.