• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hallmarking does it really matter?

jonrms

Does hallmarking matter?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Please be honest, I am curious, I will always hallmark my Bullion.

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered
    • I don't buy poured silver, so it's N/A

35 minutes ago, firestacker said:

I have a question, why don't the likes of Baird & co mint have hallmarks on their bars? Isn't it a legal requirement? What makes them exempt? Perhaps the bars are poured made outside of the UK?

Silver bullion does not have to be hallmarked - so silver bars as sold by Baird do not need to be hallmarked. They are a lump of investment silver. i took a look at the 100g Scottish Silver bar - it does not need to be hallmarked.

image.png.5262723b70029f99e7e63166893867b5.png

There are items on that website which would need to be hallmarked.

Here is an example - this is clearly not just a lump of silver - i see hallmarking is not optional.

image.png.c6f8804a8945a5c31277fe5ace5f23d7.png

Personally i think the hallmark adds more than the £3 payable for the piece. i have been looking at gold on auction sites. There are 375 gold pieces - they are obviously not UK pieces and just have 375 on them. Would i prefer and pay more for a UK 9ct hallmark? You bet i would. It is third party assurance you have the real thing, 999 on a bar of silver doesn't really cut the mustard.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, StackemHigh said:

I've got some hallmarked silver but on a couple of occasions when looking into them couldn't findout any info about the marking at all. I know very little about hallmarks. 

Is there more than 1 system for hallmarks ie. UK or By a country to country basis?

Yes and no, there are data bases which you can actually find me on. 

If you have the item, and can take a clear photo. I will go out if my way to help, as will almost everyone on here. 

Its fairly simple to trace  

Take my image above, 

♤♤♤ ( with ACE ) inside the spades is my own, makers mark that 5he Edinburgh assay office puts on. 

Then comes the purity, ○ 999 Proves my silver is pure.

Then there is a castle, this is Edinburgh assay office.  It shows who stamped the item

And finally a Letter in this case the letter 《 u 》 for 2019

I hope this helps

2 hours ago, StackemHigh said:

I've got some hallmarked silver but on a couple of occasions when looking into them couldn't findout any info about the marking at all. I know very little about hallmarks. 

Is there more than 1 system for hallmarks ie. UK or By a country to country basis?

Here is a very handy cheat sheet to explain the constituent parts.

As to searchable databases, they are only as good as the data that goes into it.

Screenshot_20190910-195916.thumb.png.ebefd60508f1eb58d0612707e9209292.png

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

On 20/08/2019 at 13:20, sixgun said:

Silver bullion does not have to be hallmarked - so silver bars as sold by Baird do not need to be hallmarked. They are a lump of investment silver. i took a look at the 100g Scottish Silver bar - it does not need to be hallmarked.

image.png.5262723b70029f99e7e63166893867b5.png

There are items on that website which would need to be hallmarked.

Here is an example - this is clearly not just a lump of silver - i see hallmarking is not optional.

image.png.c6f8804a8945a5c31277fe5ace5f23d7.png

Personally i think the hallmark adds more than the £3 payable for the piece. i have been looking at gold on auction sites. There are 375 gold pieces - they are obviously not UK pieces and just have 375 on them. Would i prefer and pay more for a UK 9ct hallmark? You bet i would. It is third party assurance you have the real thing, 999 on a bar of silver doesn't really cut the mustard.

Same with Royal Mint and Royal Mint Refinery. They sell cast bars and precision bars alike, yet no hallmarks on those jobbies either. All they have is a logo and a serial number.

Best rule of thumb is to look at what the big boys do.

Archived