• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

High Yield Portfolio picks

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

@vand    Don’t want to pry but how are the shares looking?    I know they will have probably taken a dip.    I don’t have any shares at all but thinking I might take a punt in next few weeks.     Fancy GSK  

As someone that’s in the know what you thinking?

I know the FTSE went down 3.6% in one day today!!! Eek 😬 

Probably can’t lose with GSK, AstraZenecca, etc Pharma will be getting major investment shortly 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Pretty much all stocks are taking a beating at the moment, including the high-yielders. Even gold stocks are down quite a lot, despite the rise in gold price. It seems to be the result of a rush for liquidity. If stocks continue to fall, the high-yielders will be bargains. The stocks I would continue to steer clear of are the overpriced tech stocks.

I'm thinking of investing into a stocks and shares ISA. My pension is with St James Place through Tulloch Wealth Management based in Newcastle. I've read some bad reviews about Sjp regarding their charges but I haven't had to pay the charges listed. I would like to know your opinions as I've never invested into a s&s before, although I know a bit about shares in general. I have a bunch of Funds I'm thinking about.

Sustainable & Responsible Equity.    Equity Income.       Global Equity.

The charges are: 1.67% initial set up charge.

1.5% annual charge.

Has anybody invested in these funds and is it something you would recommend? I would appreciate any advice. Would you recommend investing in individual shares and what platform would you use. What are the charges?

1 hour ago, katmonkey said:

I'm thinking of investing into a stocks and shares ISA. My pension is with St James Place through Tulloch Wealth Management based in Newcastle. I've read some bad reviews about Sjp regarding their charges but I haven't had to pay the charges listed. I would like to know your opinions as I've never invested into a s&s before, although I know a bit about shares in general. I have a bunch of Funds I'm thinking about.

Sustainable & Responsible Equity.    Equity Income.       Global Equity.

The charges are: 1.67% initial set up charge.

1.5% annual charge.

Has anybody invested in these funds and is it something you would recommend? I would appreciate any advice. Would you recommend investing in individual shares and what platform would you use. What are the charges?

Stay well away from SJP for S&S isas. Way too expensive. They are one of the few who still use front loading on funds.

I use cavendish (who use fidelitys platform, but are cheaper than fidelity). I pay about 0.25-0.3% for the platform plus about 0.3% for my various funds.

Vanguard is another good choice. Cheaper still, but not as good a choice of funds

I might just put funds into a cash isa until I'm clearer on what to do. I take it you can easily transfer funds from a cash isa to s&a isa?

How much does Cavendish charge to buy shares?

With all that's going on in the world it might be best to see how things pan out in the next month or two.

1 hour ago, katmonkey said:

I might just put funds into a cash isa until I'm clearer on what to do. I take it you can easily transfer funds from a cash isa to s&a isa?

How much does Cavendish charge to buy shares?

With all that's going on in the world it might be best to see how things pan out in the next month or two.

You can transfer from a cash isa to stocks and shares isa yes. I know some only let you transfer the whole amount though. You also have to do it in the correct way to ensure you don't lose the tax free isa wrapper when you move the money (basically, just tell the company you want to move to and from and let them sort the transfer out).

Cavendish I don't pay anything for fund purchases. Individual stocks, investment trusts and ETFS are £10 if i buy anytime or £1.50 if i set up a monthly buy (which I do)

Up to you when you invest, but I'm still investing now and will continue to do so if the market goes down

On 06/03/2020 at 20:45, Cornishfarmer said:

@vand    Don’t want to pry but how are the shares looking?    I know they will have probably taken a dip.    I don’t have any shares at all but thinking I might take a punt in next few weeks.     Fancy GSK  

As someone that’s in the know what you thinking?

Hasn't been pretty! Portfolio is well down, by about 20% but that is the way it goes when the market takes a dive. 

The likelihood is that economic conditions are getting worse and markets could have quite a lot further to fall. I welcome the buying opportunity.

The stocks that are least affected by recessions are things like consumer staples (people still have to buy groceries), utilties (people still have to pay their electricity bills), health care (people still need medicines) and residential REITS (people still have to pay rent). Also, in bad times people tend to indulge more in escapism, so there is often a rise in consumption of entertainment of all kinds, and maybe alcohol and tobacco. Because of the virus, this is likely to be limited to forms of entertainment that can be consumed at home, such as streamed movies and music and computer games.

The stocks most affected will include those in the business of discretionary purchases, holidays, airlines, large events of any kind. Demand for industrial materials, metals and energy will also fall. Retail is also likely to be affected, because China has been in shutdown for long enough that there will be shortages of goods in the shops.

Extraordinary market moves call for extraordinary measures in order to take advantage.

Having already maxed out my ISA long ago, I'm now making use of my any pension carry-forward allowance that I can,, so I've flung an extra £7k into the market, split between: 

FTSE 100 tracker

MKS.L

LGEN.L

More AV.L

I also get an extra £1.7k in tax rebate that I would never have seen, so that is another major bonus.

I literally cannot believe how cheap the FTSE and many of its component stocks are now trading. These are what I consider generational lows. 

If the market sells off much lower I will swap my small allocation of bonds for stocks. 

4 minutes ago, vand said:

Extraordinary market moves call for extraordinary measures in order to take advantage.

Having already maxed out my ISA long ago...

It is a pain that this has come at the end of the tax year isn't it!? I might have to open a sipp to take advantage 

2 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

It is a pain that this has come at the end of the tax year isn't it!? I might have to open a sipp to take advantage 

If you want to lock in the current price then you can always go long on a spreadbet and hold the position until the new tax year rolls around and then you buy the shares and close the spreadbet position. 

Just now, vand said:

If you want to lock in the current price then you can always go long on a spreadbet and hold the position until the new tax year rolls around and then you buy the shares and close the spreadbet position. 

Way beyond me haha

The bargains are already right here, right now! Of course what is cheap can always get cheaper.

The midcaps are interesting. They have been smashed in this crash; FTSE250 has seen a peak to trough 45% fall. My value-based strategy will still focus on high yielding bluechips, but I may dip my toes into some midcap recovery plays too.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, in case people haven't been keeping up, dividend cuts are coming in thick and fast right now, and my HYP picks are certainly no exception.

No idea of the HYP's overall yield right now. It's a fast-changing situation and I think there are many more cuts ahead of us.

I think governments strong arming companies into cutting their dividends will become more and more common in the coming years.

As they force their low yielding debt onto the population its make sense that they will seek to repress yields elsewhere.

If you think about it,  if you can get a 5-10% dividend for a stalwart company when bond yields are pinned at 0-2% despite real world inflation expectations hitting 10+% why would you accept that. They will force that debt on us somehow but sugarcoating it by making it smell less like horseshit will help.

Archived