• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

High Yield Portfolio picks

I get very little return from my premium bonds, ive earned more  in a few months from putting a £1000 in cryptocurrency. I would also advise to open a freetrade account which for me is now in profit and paying small dividends.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just agreed the lowball takeover bid on my bonmarche shares. Philip Day has played a blinder there. Managed to spook 25% of the shareholders into selling for 11.45p and has got the company for ~£5m. Delist and possible administration to follow.

Just a warning not to pick your divi stocks based on the divi % level only. An early, but costly mistake for me!

23 minutes ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

@Coolsmp i see premium bonds as cash - and I’m taking a punt that I’ll get a similar return to any other instant access accounts, with the possibility of something better. 

Even with the maximum I’m not expecting anything great, 1mil would be nice though!

Yes premium bonds are easily converted back to cash when needed and theres always thats chance of winning the million. Thats wot i hope for every month lol

Another couple of strong American divi stocks are AT&T (T) and Kraft Heinz (KHC). Both have fallen in share price in the last couple of years, but they are reliable defensive stocks. They may even benefit if investors move away from overpriced tech stocks.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vand said:

An interesting take on when and why Value will stage a comback: https://moneyweek.com/511247/revolutions-and-value-stocks/

I was just looking at value investing last night funnily enough. Factor investing to be more precise. Interesting that it has been found that around 90% of gains in excess of the market (by active fund managers etc) can be explained by a few factors like value, momentum, liquidity and quality.

I'm thinking about the value etfs from ishares or vanguard as my next investment.

My VOD shares seem to have caught a rocket..

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=UK:VOD&uf=0&

I'm not selling. They were 220p 2 years ago; with 5G rollout to drive ongoing data usage to drive the recovery, coupled with an eventual reinstating of the previous dividend and there is not reason they should not regain that price at some point in the not-too-far future.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought some British Land (BLND.L).

UK REITs have had a fairly tough time with the overhanging Brexit uncertainty, and imo this presents a buying opportunity.

Current 6.5% dividend yield, and it provides another form of diversification.

On 09/07/2019 at 20:00, Coolsmp said:

A mixture of dividends stocks and growth stocks is probably the best way to go and take a dollar cost averaging strategy is best

Cost averaging works well for funds and ETFs when there are minimal transaction costs, but the trouble is when buying individual stocks that you have to pay the execution fee, which is typically about £10 per trade, so cost-averaging is not a viable strategy unless you can sock in huge amounts. I take a sizeable position when I buy an individual stock, and then look move on to the next stock next month.

9 minutes ago, vand said:

you have to pay the execution fee, which is typically about £10 per trade

Not if you are DMA

9 minutes ago, vand said:

I take a sizeable position when I buy an individual stock, and then look move on to the next stock next month.

Damned sensible approach - especially for Divi hunters - - SIZE DOES MATTER!

with the FTSE having sold down to 7120, my watchlist is a getting longer by the day:

BP
RDSB
ITV
BATS
LLOY
BARC
BT.A

I am wary though. Markets look ready to really roll over, in which case these are ALL going to get a lot cheaper yet.

PUT RIO in there Bud and IMHO - stay away from banks! 

BP, RDSB, BATS,BT -- all good IMHO - and Im sitting watching some too - but Miners will come good especially if exposed to PM's - - just be careful which ones - - 

Try looking at the TSX and TSXV - - as the CAD is very favourable too!!  😉

IMHO 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2019 at 16:49, vand said:

with the FTSE having sold down to 7120, my watchlist is a getting longer by the day:

BP
RDSB
ITV
BATS
LLOY
BARC
BT.A

I am wary though. Markets look ready to really roll over, in which case these are ALL going to get a lot cheaper yet.

Just having a scout over BT. Yield nearly 10%!  Debt and pension deficit maybe affecting sentiment and terrible chart! Seems cheap but could easily get cheaper. Maybe time to drip feed in a little 

26 minutes ago, Elements said:

Just having a scout over BT. Yield nearly 10%!  Debt and pension deficit maybe affecting sentiment and terrible chart! Seems cheap but could easily get cheaper. Maybe time to drip feed in a little 

Seemed cheap when I bought in. I'm 30% down currently 😛

13 minutes ago, jamshaid said:

What is everyone's opinions on Vanguard's lifestrategy funds?

They're pretty good from what I've read. Not invested myself in them, but low costs are always good. I would stick to 100% or 80% equity personally (if you have time on your side). Yields aren't very high though 

52 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

Seemed cheap when I bought in. I'm 30% down currently 😛

So double down territory -or buying in if new! methinks!

BUT HOWEVER! - high paying divi's make me cautious at the moment - - look whats happened with Centrica - £3:50 3 years ago - NOW = 65.8 P

Archived